Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is wearing a wig bad for your scalp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is wearing a wig bad for your scalp?
    Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:46pm
I have short hair right now,and recently bought a wig that I really like until my hair grows out.Not to wear every single day,but days when I want to feel extra special.(maybe a few times a week)

So here's my question....Does wearing a wig "stiffle" hair follicules? The same arguement could made about men who constantly wear hats. My husband has a thin spot and he wears a hat everyday.
Some say men losing their has nothing to do with wearing a hat.Others say the hair follicule cant "breathe" and that a hat can break the hair off.
So,could the same arguement be made about wigs?

I thought about extensions,but with the glue and stuff a wig just seemed like an easier fix.I'll only wear it on occasion for a few months until my hair is grown out to the point where I dont feel it is "too short" anymore.

Any feedback,ladies? How often do you wear your wigs? do you feel it effects your hair or scalp at all?
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 7:48pm
I think you have a valid concern.I think there is potential for scalp issues if the wig is being glued down or taped on.But if its just a normal wig, it shouldnt be a problem.

I have worn wigs for years.The first time I shaved my head I wore a wig every day and my hair came in really thick and healthy.

I'd say as long as your scalp looks and feels fine you shouldnt have anything to worry about.Things to look for just in case would be sensitive scalp or pink/red scalp.If you see that your scalp might be too sensitive for wigs.I think men who thin with hats experience this but dont pay attention.My DH wears a hat every day,but has a healthy scalp and amazing thick hair.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:19pm

Thanks for answering longhairdreams.I dont use tape or glue to hold it down.It has adjustable straps to tighten or loosen it though. It fits pretty securely.I do notice it feels a little itchy when on,but doesnt bother my scalp too much.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 11:38am
It looks really natural.Are you a brunnette naturally? From your avatar pic I assumed you were a readhead.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:31pm
Thanks...yes,my hair is brunette,it just has natural red highlights too.Mostly that the sun brings out,but more brown in the winter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic