Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - will violet 'poo remove brassy from brown hair?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

will violet 'poo remove brassy from brown hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
elaina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elaina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will violet 'poo remove brassy from brown hair?
    Posted: March 23 2007 at 7:32pm
I used Clairol Nice'n Easy  #114 Natrural Light Ash Brown to match my hair and cover gray.  Even though it was ash based it came out VERY brassy, esp at the roots.  I called the Clairol hotline and they said do a soap cap with equal parts #114 color, the developer, and shampoo and apply to my roots, pulling down into the hair abot 2 inches to avoid a line of demarcation.  I checked my hair in the sun and noticed the length was also very brassy so I called back and they said put on all my hair length (mine is long, to the bottom of my bra strap) and check every 5 minutes,  When I did a test piece the bottom one inch it came out black after 5 mintes.  I did a test piece at the root for 20 min and there was no color change - brassy still there.  When I asked the woman at the Clairol hotline if I could use a violet based shampoo to be rid of the brassyness she said it would not work on brown hair, only blonde or gray.  I thought I had read it worked on brassy brunettes too?  Is she correct in saying it doesn't work for brown hair?  If it WILL work on brown hair what is a good brand?  I live near a Sally's Beauty Supply.  Please advise!  Thanks!
CatFanatik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatFanatik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:34am
I could have written that post, I have the same problem!!!  My roots were refusing to take color .. and they were brassy/reddish.  See my other post for pics Tongue   http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=51158

I had used a similar "box" color, only it was Loreal Natural Match, Light Ash Brown, and some of the length of my hair was also very very dark (when I rinsed it out I thought I ended up with black length, but I didn't ...).

I finally went to my salon yesterday just for a hair cut and was asking her about these violet shampoos, and she told me the same thing that Clairol told you.  Actually she told me "don't bother" (for brown hair). 

In the end she ended up giving me a semi-color (she said she mixed 3 different colors) but she did a pretty good job, as most of my brassiness is out. I do notice it in the sun, but I think this is as much as it's going to come out.  In normal light, it's OK though. 

Edited by CatFanatik - March 25 2007 at 11:36am
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 3:13pm
Why don't u read up on this coloring Shampoo or Cond?It's called ArcTec color Shampoo.it's a depositing color for all hair colors.It deposits color into the hair cuticle fiber.It adds color as u use it.I use the cond.everytime I wash my hair.I wash it everyone other day.It's very safe.Plus, it makes my blonde highlights so bright & shiny.They also have really pretty colors for brunettes to.If u don't know what color to get.Ask a hair dresser.I don't know of any toners that will tone down brassy color on brown hair. Just look up ArcTec color online & find the color u like. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic