Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African American trying to straighen hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African American trying to straighen hair
    Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:19pm
Can anyone help me out? I straightened my hair but I can't get it to fall as flat as something like this

http://www.iamplify.com/images/1136321619597-StraightHair1_new.jpg

I have used nothing but the straightener so far(No creams or anything, the flat iron goes up to 400 degrees)

My hair always comes out something like this

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000026E0J.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

What do I need to get my hair like the first link and keep it that way? Because when I wash my hair it goes back to natural.
Wendyon blast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendyon blast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 6:10am
Simply Stylin' will do a great job in maintaining straightness.  Just make sure to apply just enough to coat the strands lightly, and concentrate on the ends of your hair.
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 6:41am
Lottabody is also good for maintaining straightness.

Waves(2001-Present)
Sunny_n_sweet05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny_n_sweet05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 2:05pm

Hey ITunes! I have some advice that I hope could help you. There's no way to make your hair stay straight after you wash it unless you have it chemically straightened by a salon professional ... this is very costly, and I've had it done myself so I can speak from experience. I wasn't pleased at all with the results .. it was damaging and didn't make it pin straight like they promised. You also can't color your hair when it's been professionally straightened because it could (and most likely will) fall off! Eeek! Soo ... you will have to re do this whole process everytime you wash your hair.

The first thing that you probably know already is that African American hair is actually much more fragile than Caucasian or Asian hair. That being said, you should never set your straightener all the way to 400 degrees; I've straightened African American hair successfully at about 250 degrees.

To achieve the look you want, you will need to invest in some good products. I suggest a serum specifically made for straightening hair ... I use Paul Mitchell "Super Skinny" for most people and on my own hair. Also, you will want to buy a Heat Protectant Spray. All sorts of brands make these, you can buy a good one that is cheap from Tresemme at any local drugstore.

What I usually do with your type of hair is let it air dry ... I know, it's going to be poofy lol ... but go ahead and do it. Less damaging this way!

I then take most of the hair and put it in a ponytail on top of the client's head, with the exception of a small section at the nape of your neck. Take that hair and spray it with the protectant spray ... just one or two sprtizes ... don't make it soaking wet, just barely damp. Then work a drop or two of the serum through that hair. comb it through and then use your straightener to straighten the hair. It should come out silky smooth and super straight. Repeat this all the way up your head, taking your hair out of a ponytail, grabbing some unstraightened hair and letting it fall down, and putting the rest back up.

I've done this process on a few clients, and their hair turned out gorgeous! Stick straight. And you can wear it about a week between washings if you do it correctly. Don't load on the serum, because it will end up being greasy the next day and don't put on TOO much spray because if you straighten wet hair, it will fry it!

Hope this helps!
<3, Laura
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic