Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crew cut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luvitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crew cut
    Posted: August 12 2007 at 4:45am
 Hi,

I'm a  woman in her early fifties with very short hair.  I had always worn it long when I was young. For the past few years, I wore a chin length bob.  I was bored with that and so I got a short haircut  this past Spring.

Each trim, I have asked for it to be styled shorter.  I really think I want a Barbershop type style. Maybe something like a crewcut. But I'm not sure where to go and what to ask for regarding the length.  How short is the average crew cut? I have seen some very nice looking extreme cuts on  a few ladies at the Grocery stores lately. I'm feeling brave, but don't want to jump in until I  know what to ask for. Are there ladies versions of these  Men's cuts and will a regualr hairdresser do them? Or would I have to go to the local Barber?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

I love my hair short now and in this heat, it feels so much cooler.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Luvitshort
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 10:41am
I think the best option is to look for a barber to do it. Barbers will have hundreds times more experience doing crew cuts or other clipper short cuts than a salon stylist.
The barber will have the tools and won't have to think about how to do it.

I would recommend calling the barbershops on the phone or just stopping in for a second to ask them if they have done womens haircuts. Because some barbers might already have female customers who get short cuts that are female versions of a male cut. Sometimes it's the same cut as a man but some part of it is not cut as short. If a barber has experience with lots of women he'll probably know whether or not to ask you if you want certain things done a certain way. Otherwise if you go to a barber who doesn't do a different version you'll probably get the standard mens cut. Which is fine if that is what you are wanting.

But I do think a Barber is your best option.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 4:07pm
Hi PurpleBubba,

Thanks for the great advice. I'll see about finding a good Barber. I guess even if  he or she doesn't do a lot of women, they would be able to give me a nicely shaped close clipper cut. The Barber would know best regarding how to do the job, length etc. So I'll defer to their opinion and take a chance on getting that crewcut maybe even  tomorrow.  I hope I don't chicken out!  I'll let you know.

Luvitshort
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 5:22am
luvitshort,
What area are you in. If you need heelp locating a barber maybe I could help. I do many short styles on women. For a crewcut have the barber do a #2 (1/4") on the sides and back tapered tight at the nape and sides, then and make sure they do the top correct. I have seen many cuts were a stylist would take and use a #4 (1/2") and just take the whole top off.  For  a crewcut the top should be very short at the crown and longer at the front. This is achieved by using a comb and clippers on the top.  If you need help or questions let me know. As for ladies with crewcuts I have only did one or two this past summer. I have done more fades and flat-tops this year than in the past. Good luck and let us know if we could help.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 2:15am
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the offer and description of the crewcut. I didn't realize it would be so short. 

I visited a Barber shop yesterday where he said about 15% of his customers were women. But he wasn't very busy.  Only one person was having a haircut.  I asked a few questions and left.   I have thin fine grey  hair and asked him  if I were to go  very much shorter, if my scalp would be showing through too much.   It appears it might. I had some spots in a previous cut  in late Spring, where the stylist cut the hair and it appeared like I had balding spots. I don't, but  did change stylists after that. I was told the previous cut was not good. The razor shears were used too liberally, and too much was taken off the crown.  My current stylist is the one who fixed that haircut. She had to take it much shorter to do the repairs.  But now, after giving it more thought,  this all makes me wonder if I should stick to the Stylist and not risk  getting anything  much shorter than this current cut.

The Barber mentioned  a product called  nioxon. What do you think?

Thanks again,

L.

mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 5:05pm

love it short, I agree, dont do a cut if you dont have details. Biggist mistake is doing a change without the client having any idea of what she like or even wants. Nioxin is for thinning hair. If a short cut is wanted be sure about it. I did a 1" cut on my wife a few times and she loved it. She saidtake it as short as you could take it without the scalp showing. She has meduim thick hair and this cut was fine on her. I just tappered the backof the nape and around the ears a tad more to give it some definetion. I hate when ladies ask to have the "sideburns" cut striaght across, I prefer to angle them or let long to about mid ear length, but trim around the ear. I agree a crew-cut is a very short cut and not for just anybody. A razor is fine for the ends to be texturized but I prefer not to do a short cut with one. I use clippers over comb, Texturizing shears to blend. 

I agree many more women are coming into the shop for short haircuts. the cost as compared to those at the mall is much cheaper. I will admitt though long hair styles is not my thing. Bobs are fine and one length cut are great. but I dont do perms. I realy do love cutting shorter styles.
If you need anymore advise let us know and we will help.
Good luck in finding the style you desireSmile
Mike

Edited by mikecuts - August 17 2007 at 4:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 10:18am
Thanks Mike. You've given me some very good points to consider.  I think I'll stay with my current stylist. She's very good. Going too short might be a mistake.  It's really short now, but not a clipper cut.

L.

Needitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Needitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 1:19pm
I would like to get an under shave at a barbershop-I really dislike salons. I want to go to a man's barbershop for the experience, where and how do I find one?
linda1971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 4:19pm
Luvitshort, I just came back from Florida and I saw several crewcuts and 3 flat top all on women around 50 or older so there out there. I have more this year than last. Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic