Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women's Soccer to host locks of love day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaw5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women's Soccer to host locks of love day
    Posted: October 27 2007 at 5:01pm
http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/102207aad.html

I believe the game will be televised on the Big Ten network. 
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 6:04pm
What a cool idea
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 1:01am
Will Oprah be there, too?
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 1:23am
I know some people get mad at me when I suggest that the allegedly nonprofit Locks of Love gets so many donations that it must have a warehouse full of hair that it cannot possibly use and then winds up selling most of it.

And other people get mad at me when I suggest that every such public haircut and donation to Locks and other organizations is a publicity stunt.

But it's not just haircuts. Consider this for comparison purposes:

The cast of Days of Our Lives celebrated Green Week by putting on green shirts, posing for photos holding tools and standing by some trees that were already planted. ALL FOR POSITIVE PUBLICITY. Check out the pix for yourself: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=77474456#

Now I know this is not exactly the same as a haircut because, for goodness sake, at least the Ann Currys, Diane Lanes and (soon) Hilary Swanks of the world actually are doing something. All three have or will be cutting their hair -- albeit on national television for millions of people to see. But I think it helps prove my point that celebrities (and female soccer players are celebrities) do what they do because they want positive publicity.
nooneatall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooneatall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 1:31am
Who CARES why they're doing these things. Maybe they are just trying to get positive publicity. The fact of the matter is, though, that these organizations they're taking pictures for still actually do good things.  Maybe they wear green shirts and don't actually plant trees. But maybe 10 fans see these photos and then get inspired to go plant a tree. Awesome. Maybe Locks of Love has a warehouse full of excessive hair, but If ONE women or child with alopecia gets to feel like everyone else at the cost of 10 perfectly confident women's extra hair then so be it.It's worth it.  My point is, if someone uses their influence to inspire someone to participate ina  charity, even if they don't care themselves, then what does it matter? Overall the world is a slightly better place.

Edited by nooneatall - October 28 2007 at 1:32am
...and that's all I have to say about that.
Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 9:00am
Doesn't really matter why if it helps someone else does it?

"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 3:41pm
" Fans can join the Wildcats in their support for Locks of Love by donating hair or making a monetary donation."

That's a nice suggestion, so people don't all feel pressured to give hair donations.  In fact, the more money given the less hair would need to be sold to get the money to pay people to make the wigs.  Win-win situation.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 7:37pm
I just don't understand why so many women still donate there hair when it has been proven that 75% of the hair is wasted. It's too bad that some women don't realize what the facts really are.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

celebrities (and female soccer players are celebrities)

Collegiate soccer players celebrities?  No, they aren't.

Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

...do what they do because they want positive publicity.

Perhaps, but to me this sort of publicity is not positive.  Selfless and generous?  Sure.  But also misguided and for naught.  More on that in a moment...

Originally posted by nooneatall nooneatall wrote:

Maybe they wear green shirts and don't actually plant trees. But maybe 10 fans see these photos and then get inspired to go plant a tree. Awesome. Maybe Locks of Love has a warehouse full of excessive hair, but If ONE women or child with alopecia gets to feel like everyone else at the cost of 10 perfectly confident women's extra hair then so be it.It's worth it.  My point is, if someone uses their influence to inspire someone to participate ina  charity, even if they don't care themselves, then what does it matter? Overall the world is a slightly better place.

My problem: despite the excess of hair received and later sold or discarded, they likely are not aware that their hair won't actually be made into a hairpiece for afflicted children.  The organization in question has stated that no qualifying recipient has ever been denied.  If the soccer players do manage to inspire others to do likewise, it only serves to add additional supply to the hair market.  If the soccer players knew what the likely destination for their hair was, would they cut it?  People should have the opportunity to make decisions that are based on all relevant information.  I doubt that these players and their coach have a clue about the reality of the situation.

jaw5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 3:54pm
http://nusports.cstv.com/view.gal?id=17575&template=player_gallery

here is a link to some of the after pictures
jaw5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 2:26pm
is there any video for this event?
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 4:54pm

I know  that lock of hair does donate wigs to the children and some of those wigs have been made available for people like me who had cancer.  I know this because the hospital told me that I had a choice.  There were new ones that can have been donated for children and adults.

Are all those wigs donated?  Probably not.  Who could be in business non profit or profit if there isn't a balance and most people realizes this
My friend and her daughter were aware of this when they donated their own hair.  It just chokes me when people are so upset when people donate their hair, maybe if they would have actually lost their hair they would appreciate the gilft either way and the choice of using one and purchasing one from a boutique.  It would be  horrible day that people would stop donating. 

When you actually go through chemo etc you come across a lot of difirent ages and I was told that I could use one of those wigs.  I choose to purchase my real hair wig from a boutique. 

I wanted something personalized.  A wig isn't made up of all the same hair.  

All the power to anyone that has chosen to help in this route and all the power to people who reallly care and donate money etc.

Edited by dianefromcanada - October 31 2007 at 5:17pm
dianefromcanada
LadyinDiamonds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyinDiamonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 3:56am
Well written, Diane from Canada. I agree.

It also teaches people not to be vain about their hair, it teaches people to help others.

I have no problem with Locs of Love. They help both the person who recieves the hair and the person who gives the hair.

College women soccer players are like celebrities to young girls. The young girls look up to them.

Edited by LadyinDiamonds - December 02 2007 at 4:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic