Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I Straight Iron Or Chemically Straigten?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I Straight Iron Or Chemically Straigten?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angsaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angsaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I Straight Iron Or Chemically Straigten?
    Posted: November 04 2007 at 6:43pm
HELP!  I dion't know the texture of my hair by the way this site judges it.  But it is very curly - not thick and course - I guess thin and very, very tight.  If I let it dry naturally - It is so curly and frizzy on the ends.  Hate it!  It doesn't take a lot to straighten it with a blow dryer and flat iron.

My story is... I tried hair extensions 10/1 and hated them.   I got hairlocs.  Where your own hair (small amounts) are threaded into the extensions.  I tried to get them out myself with conditioner at the roots and I probably pulled out more of my own hair than anything else.   I only had them in 3 weeks.  Long story short with those, I think I ruined my hair myself because when all was said and done, my pony tail was very short compared to 3 weeks before I had the extensions put in.  That was my fault my messing with them.  I had my girl take out the remaning 50 or so in the sake of not pulling my own hair out any more. 

Anyway, those are gone.  My story now is - I want to relax my hair.  I had my stylist cut it short into a Jenny McCarthy style bob.  Shorter in the back and longer in the front.  I like the cut but I really need my hair relaxed. It is to FREAKIN curly it is unreal.  I have been using the blow dryer (I just got the Sedu hair dryer - good so far) and I have a Chi.  I didn't know they sucked until I got on this site.   I want straight hair without DAMAGE.  I have been straightening for a week but it is freakin me out.  What can I do?  No damange wanted!  
kinkycurlygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkycurlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 10:40pm
I relaxed my hair for years.  My hair just broke off and I never got any lenghth to it.  I will never chemically treat my hair anymore.  If you relax your hair it could end up a hot mess.  You have to make sure you don't overprocess it.  Then you have to keep it moisturized or it will break off.  YOu might just need a little help taking care of your natural hair.  Relaxed hair is managable if you know how to take care of it though.  I hope that helps.
www.fotki.com/bmli111
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 5:56pm
This girl at school got her hair chemically straightened and now it looks oily all the time.

I think your best bet would be to get a flat iron, Solia and Sedu are the best, from www.folica.com

If you get it from there and it costs over 75 dollars you do not pay shipping and get a 30 money back garuntee.
March 2007:

MaryPoppins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryPoppins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 4:37pm
I would also go with a flat iron.  Like the others said, chemically straightening can be very damaging to your hair.  As long as you use heat protectant products before using a flat iron your hair should stay healthy.  I would also go with a higher quality straightener as well.  I use a bed head straightener and really like the results.  My hair never feels dry or damaged and they are also very affordable.  
angsaff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angsaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 9:02pm
MaryPoppins - what is the name of the Bed Head straightener you use?  Also, how curly is your hair?  Thanks for your response.
MaryPoppins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryPoppins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 12:22pm
angsaff - I use the Tigi Bed Head tourmaline ceramic straightener in 1 1/4."  I've been using it for about a month and really like it.  It has temperature settings so I can control how hot the plates get which is really nice and it definitely helps to not dry out my hair.  My hair feels very healthy and looks soft and shiny.  Also make sure you use some type of heat protectant and a moisturizer before using any heat products.  My hair is wavy and frizzy if I let it air dry - not really tight curls.  I straighten it by blow drying before I use the flat iron and it works really well.  I hope this helps!  
Kat460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 12:57pm
I have fine hair and normally it is just frizzy and barely has a nice wave to it.  I used to chemically straighten about once a year.  I love it.  I have been using the Rusk straightener that you can get at a beauty supply store.  I don't know if they have more than one, but it is time consuming.  In total I end up having my hair blown out 3 times until the process is finished.  It leaves my hair very nice and holds up through the humid summers.  I can tell when I am due for one again because my hair starts not laying right.  I have medium to long hair, but it never grows past the length that it is.  Not sure why.  But I also use a flat iron every day.  I only wash my hair twice a week to keep it from drying out.  Hope this helps you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic