Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*Before & After Pics* Pre Bleach & Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
glittergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Before & After Pics* Pre Bleach & Color
    Posted: February 09 2008 at 2:43am
Hi All,

Well... it's not a disaster... sort of. But it did not work out the way I hoped...

This was my process:

Last night (Thursday)
-Queen Helene Professional formula Cholesterol Conditioner treatment to prep for bleach

Today (Friday)
PRE-Bleach
Washed and conditioned hair
Let hair air dry

Bleach Process
Did bleach (the boyfriend helped me out, gosh it was hard tho!) Bleach used was: Clairol Professional Kaleidocolors Tonal Powder Lightener
I mixed this with 2oz Clairol Professional Pure White 30
Applied it to bottom sections of hair, minus roots
Cap covered my hair
Sat under dryer for for 20 minutes
Applied to roots and re-wet the ends
Re-capped and sat under dryer for another 10 minutes
Shampooed and Conditioned
Air dried hair

Color Process
Had the lovely, patient BFF BF (he's truly a saint) apply the Clairol Black Cherry to my hair and then I capped and sat under the dryer for 30 mins per instructions.
Washed and conditioned hair
Applied an Ion hot oil treatment
Air dried hair

Wow, not really what I had in mind for a Black Cherry color.

Now the big question.... and the BFF Soulmate Boyfriend is asking too, because he's concerned.... why didn't my hair turn a darker color? It's not cherry like at all, not remotely cherryish! LOL

We've noticed over the past 2 years that my hair does not tend to turn out to be the color it says it will on the box (factoring in base color). Now I will admit I haven't had my natural hair color for about 7 years now. I've been doing red for the last 5 years. I figured that bleaching it would take me back to a place where red would show up (was this a naive assumption?).

So I'm stunned.

Now I'm not crying, buy a bunch of hats stunned, as it's not totally a disaster. I can live with this for a little while.

But I have no idea what my next step should be or why the color seemingly did not take.

I'll definitely have to see a stylist to get some sort of funky red or purple I think. I just wish I could do it at home.

If anyone has any ideas as to why my hair went blond with a Black Cherry treatment, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks again for all the help. At any rate, we had a blast tonight (can you believe I spent 5 hours doing this to my hair! LOL LOL).

Experiment

Edited by glittergirl - February 09 2008 at 4:23pm
Visit me and hear my music: MySpace | Official Site
nina_ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina_ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 4:38pm

HMMM....

i couple of things could have happen

judging by your hair pics...probably you need some protein filler firstly...

secondly, as i never have used clairol ..i am assuming it's a semi-temp color.....if it is then it should have worked...but the brand name maybe wanst good enough ....when it comes to crazy colors the best of the best are....Renbow Crazy Color, Special Effects, or manic panic....try mix and match to get ur color...thirdly

you might have needed a pre tint-back to give ur hair some underlining pigment....is the product of pre-lightened hair...

I really dont know much about jazzing....but usually....

U bleach the hair (only to yellow stage) then you deposit (the least staining one is Renbow)...

LOOOL now i have a quesiton for you..

How did you do the experiment pics...(the writing) is it on photoshop/paint...what? i love it ....

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 5:35pm
It's pretty, but not what you wanted, right? The only thing I can think of is that the orange tones in the bleached hair cancelled out the blue/purple tones in the black cherry dye, neutralizing the colour making it the colour you have now. At least it's still in good condition after the bleach.

If it were me, I would probably wash my hair with anti-dandruff shampoo (takes out a lot of colour) and dye over it again with a much more purple red. Just me though.
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 5:46pm
Here's a colour from Renbow called Aubergine

or a bit lighter - Bordeaux

Remeber it's likely to turn out more red. Just some ideas.

The site: http://haircrazy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=39&zenid=8eb0936d234cc2a2e9f05f0b08d81e91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 2:18am
Originally posted by nina_ray nina_ray wrote:

HMMM....

i couple of things could have happen

judging by your hair pics...probably you need some protein filler firstly...

secondly, as i never have used clairol ..i am assuming it's a semi-temp color.....if it is then it should have worked...but the brand name maybe wanst good enough ....when it comes to crazy colors the best of the best are....Renbow Crazy Color, Special Effects, or manic panic....try mix and match to get ur color...thirdly

you might have needed a pre tint-back to give ur hair some underlining pigment....is the product of pre-lightened hair...

I really dont know much about jazzing....but usually....

U bleach the hair (only to yellow stage) then you deposit (the least staining one is Renbow)...

LOOOL now i have a quesiton for you..

How did you do the experiment pics...(the writing) is it on photoshop/paint...what? i love it ....

Hi Nina!

I've never heard of protien filler. What brands are good?

I was shocked that the Clairol Jazzing didn't take, but as you say, maybe I needed some pigment for it to take properly.

I've decided to go to a pro to have it fixed. But I have to let my hair rest a little bit.

As for how I did the images... it was done in Photoshop. Graphic design is a hobby of mine, so I do a lot of work with Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks.

Thanks for your reply!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 2:19am
Originally posted by Ally<3 Ally<3 wrote:

It's pretty, but not what you wanted, right? The only thing I can think of is that the orange tones in the bleached hair cancelled out the blue/purple tones in the black cherry dye, neutralizing the colour making it the colour you have now. At least it's still in good condition after the bleach.

If it were me, I would probably wash my hair with anti-dandruff shampoo (takes out a lot of colour) and dye over it again with a much more purple red. Just me though.

Hey Ally!

You know I think you are right. Must have just canceled themselves out.

I asked the lady at Sally specifically what bleach I should use and told her exactly what I was going to do. Just goes to show that those clerks don't know too much I guess.

I'm going to have my hair fixed in a couple of months. I think I learned my lesson the hard way not to mess with this kind of complicated procedure on my own.

But I did have fun! LOL

Thanks for the links to those other colors. I have never heard of Renbow before.
nina_ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina_ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 6:36am
if you want i can refer you to this amazing woman who run's a blog and is a professional hair color expert (15+ years)...and she herself loves this kind of amazing hair colors...im sure she can help you out......she literally is a GOD SEND !..

Her name is Dakota AkA KillerChemist 

here's her blog

You can contact her though the comment section (give her a link to this forum so she can understand exactly what you want) or by email (use the comment section this way us readers can learn with you lol)

anywho...

see you there lol

bye

Edited by nina_ray - February 11 2008 at 6:38am
nina_ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nina_ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 6:45am
oh yh...to be honest ally's theory sounds dead-on lool i never thought about the cancelling tones..grrr im so stupid...but i think shes right...im not sure..but i would is use a clarrifying shampoo or like ally said anti dandruff like pert plus or something..and do it for like 4-5 times a day for like a week (dont for get to deep condition once in a while)....anyway this should fade the color a bit ....

i would probably then re-bleach till you get atleast a light yellow stage before dying it with renbow or jazzing ...etc

if you faded the color enough using the shampoo then use 20vol plus bleach...if not then maybe 30 vol +bleach +shampoo+ conditoner just to dilute the solution .....till then ask Dakota shes amazing

GOOD LUCK

fill me in kk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 6:49am
hey nina!

Thanks for that link. Another girl had PMed to me and I was checking it out.

There is a lady from this board who is a platform colorist/stylist who has offered to help me out. I'm going to see her when I can next get to NYC.

Because my hair is so fine, I really don't feel good about doing any more bleaching on my own.

I'm going to use the Super Cholesterol a few times a week to keep deep conditioning it.

Thankfully I'm in the studio every day right now, so not so many people will see my lovely pink/orange sherbet colored hair! LOL

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 11:00am
"Clairol Jazzing Hair Colors - Gentle, shiny-sheer temporary or semi-permanent hair color. Can be used immediately after chemical services. No ammonia. No peroxide. Dramatic shades add sizzling, vibrant color. Soft shades are subtle, adding richness and depth to natural hair color. 3 oz. size."

I think jazzing is really just for toning natural hair color or predyed (prelighted) hair.  The color you chose would work for a darker color hair.  Maybe you want to look at getting manic panic for those awsome and wild hair colors. 

Also remember as others suggested the color wheel.  Green cancels red, Blue cancels orange, Purple cancels yellow, but don't forget that there are many variations of TONES, some lighter blues won't cancel darker oranges, some darker yellows won't be canceled by purple, etc. 

Oh and by the way, in order to achieve that color with jazzing remember that swatch was made from WHITE hair.  What you had was orange and yellow, so it makes sense you wouldn't get the same color as the swatch. 

Good luck and I hope this helps. 

Rebekah

r4ch3l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r4ch3l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 11:29am
I have used Jazzing before, on orange/yellow hair,  in  "racy wine", and it turned out pretty close to the swatch, but I agree with everyone else, maybe they just toned each other out. Have you thought about Special Effects in burgendy wine? It's a fairly similar color to waht you want, and SFX pwns. =]
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 5:42pm
glittergirl, I still think you can fix this yourself. But I understand your hesitation. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Ally<3 Ally<3 wrote:

glittergirl, I still think you can fix this yourself. But I understand your hesitation. 

Ally,

My concern is I have an album photo shoot in early April. If that was not in the picture I might think about doing something else, but I just can't risk it with that coming up.

Plus from all I have read I really shouldn't beat my fine, fine hair up that much. Another bleach application scares me to death. I don't want to end up having super, super short hair right now.

Thanks so much!

Nat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Rebekah Rebekah wrote:

"Clairol Jazzing Hair Colors - Gentle, shiny-sheer temporary or semi-permanent hair color. Can be used immediately after chemical services. No ammonia. No peroxide. Dramatic shades add sizzling, vibrant color. Soft shades are subtle, adding richness and depth to natural hair color. 3 oz. size."

I think jazzing is really just for toning natural hair color or predyed (prelighted) hair.  The color you chose would work for a darker color hair.  Maybe you want to look at getting manic panic for those awsome and wild hair colors. 

Also remember as others suggested the color wheel.  Green cancels red, Blue cancels orange, Purple cancels yellow, but don't forget that there are many variations of TONES, some lighter blues won't cancel darker oranges, some darker yellows won't be canceled by purple, etc. 

Oh and by the way, in order to achieve that color with jazzing remember that swatch was made from WHITE hair.  What you had was orange and yellow, so it makes sense you wouldn't get the same color as the swatch. 

Good luck and I hope this helps. 

Rebekah

Hey Rebekah,

Its interesting because I read the directions and even consulted the Sally lady. I chose to use it on pre-lightened hair and thus went the bleach route. I asked her about if I dyed at the orangey stage and she told me that it wouldn't matter becuase all I needed to do was go a few levels lighter than where i was at to achieve the black cherry color.

The somewhat troubling part is that some of my hair was white, especially the root area. I mean, it was snow white when I was done bleaching. But that part is a bright pinky/orange color. At least the orange parts went a sandy blond. But the white part clearly did not pull the black cherry color at all.

The part that went white with the bleach was my virgin hair (roots area and it was about a half inch).

Could it just be my hair? I really think now that whatever happened was a result of colors canceling one another.

It's an adventure and right now I'm more interested in the science of what happened, so you pointing out the color wheel is very helpful.

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glittergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by r4ch3l r4ch3l wrote:

I have used Jazzing before, on orange/yellow hair,  in  "racy wine", and it turned out pretty close to the swatch, but I agree with everyone else, maybe they just toned each other out. Have you thought about Special Effects in burgendy wine? It's a fairly similar color to waht you want, and SFX pwns. =]

I think I may check that out sometime later r4ch3l. For now I am going to leave it alone until the shoot and I'll get my hair done by a pro.

This experience freaked me out a bit and made me realize that I have a lot more to learn about color and perhaps even the limitations of my own fine hair. Maybe some things I just can't do with it.
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:12pm
Hi Glittergirl,
I noticed you deep conditioned with a hot oil treatment right after coloring.  This can cause your color to fade quite a bit, especially with a semi-permanent.  Even so, it should have came out more intense.

Perhaps try another brand but on just a strand test to spare your poor head! I don't think you need to lighten more unless you wanted a lighter color like pink. If you are using a wine type of color, the purple in it should cancel out the yellow tones (assuming the base is blue red).
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by glittergirl glittergirl wrote:

Hey Rebekah,

Its interesting because I read the directions and even consulted the Sally lady. I chose to use it on pre-lightened hair and thus went the bleach route. I asked her about if I dyed at the orangey stage and she told me that it wouldn't matter becuase all I needed to do was go a few levels lighter than where i was at to achieve the black cherry color.

The somewhat troubling part is that some of my hair was white, especially the root area. I mean, it was snow white when I was done bleaching. But that part is a bright pinky/orange color. At least the orange parts went a sandy blond. But the white part clearly did not pull the black cherry color at all.

The part that went white with the bleach was my virgin hair (roots area and it was about a half inch).

Could it just be my hair? I really think now that whatever happened was a result of colors canceling one another.

It's an adventure and right now I'm more interested in the science of what happened, so you pointing out the color wheel is very helpful.

Thank you!

The roots went so white because the heat from your scalp caused the bleach to work more quickly.  Heat causes reactions to go faster--hence why colorist often put bleach under the hair dryer.  Also, the virgin hair had no artificial color for the bleach to eat through.
About it being just your hair.  All hair is different, so it could have something to do with your hair.  I really think it means the colors were canceled out.  By the way those Sally ladies don't always know what they are talking about, so take what they say with a grain of salt.  I don't think the bleached parts were really white, unless of course you used a non-toning bleach.  Most bleaches are either blue or purple when you mix them up, and will tone the hair. 

It is a mystery, isn't it.  I hope you can achieve the color you desire!  Good luck and I hope this helps.

Rebekah
valkyrie_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valkyrie_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 10:47am
It sounds like you've given up until you can get it done by a professional, but I wanted to show you my "Burgundy" hair.  These pics were taken a few days ago.  The light is a bit crappy, but the color's pretty true.  I think it looks a lot like Burgundy Wine by Special Effects USA. 

It is Cherry Bomb over month faded Deep Purple, both by Special Effects.  You could get a similiar result with Cherry Bomb with a TINY amount of Deep Purple mixed in, though. 

FYI, in my opinion, Jazzing is really crap.  I've never seen it act like that, though.  I think it had something to do with the hot oil treatment.  It coated your hair too much and didn't let the dye stick.  Usually Jazzing's bright for a short period of time and then fades pretty rapidly.  Special Effects is the only funky dye I ever use. 

Edited by valkyrie_grrl - February 19 2008 at 10:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic