Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Stylist - Rant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
contagious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contagious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Stylist - Rant
    Posted: March 28 2008 at 5:10pm
I'm a hairstylist but I'm sure all professions in the beauty industry can related to some point.

I'm having a hard time understanding why women of color find it difficult to respect our profession.  I mean, I deal with women everyday all day and I had a few that portray this attitude but I see it more and more on the boards.

On another board there was a post calling us everything but professionals because we actually charge a fee for installing lace wigs.  I've seen posts how certain women of the boards should get together and offer "us" professionals a class because we don't know a damn thing.  Now I try my best to stay away from drama, especially when I am out numberedLOL  but maybe someone can shed some light on why some black women feel as though they shouldn't have to pay or pay the amount we charge for our services.

Is it because we always been DIY culture?  Is it because the information is available on the internet?  Is it because they are used to dealing with unprofessionals... What?

I donno but I will say this.  Cosmetology is the second oldest profession in the world so much so you have to become licensed to practice it. Some people chose to be a professor, an administrative assistant, ect.  We chose Cosmetology.  This is where you come to us looking a hot mess and leave looking a hot diva.  I know this may be a shock for some of you but here goes .....  there is a fee for thatWink

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 2:32pm
I totally understand what your saying. I am not a cosmetologist, which I respect is a great profession to get into.

I am a fully qualified hairstylist and train students in this profession to a high standard. I have many of the same clients wanting to part with the least amount of cash as possible. As you said which I was in hysterics ,"they come in looking a hot mess and leave looking like diva's" :)

We train for years to qualify to do the best of our ability and of course there is a fee for that privilege.

I also agree we don't seem to be getting enough respect. Like any profession, unfortunately there are good and bad, but it is so unfair to see us all as the same.

Edited by karen s - March 29 2008 at 2:34pm
karen sanderson
mokkajava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokkajava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 2:49pm
I understand your frustration being a professional hair stylist, BUT there are stylist out there that give your profession a bad name.

I have been to hairdressers that never get to you at your appointment time,  double book, and act as if they are doing you a favor instead of being treated a client that is valued.thatsit

I agree those who are the best at what they do should get paid what they are worth plus tips.Clap

Like the poster above stated unfortunately the bad stylist sometimes ruin perfectly good customers and they won't give the good ones a chance.
Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
    Eddie Cantor
contagious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contagious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 6:24pm
You guys are absolutely correct.  I've been to those stylists and worked with them.  And they are what we call unprofessional professionalsWink 

I think they are like that because they don't take their profession seriously and or their overall personality.  Personally, I never overbook.  I feel each client deserves my undivided attention and service.  I don't even hold phone conversations while I'm with a client.  It's just me and her.  Not only that, I can't stand the hustle and the pressure of having to service multiple clients at once.LOL

mokkajava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokkajava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 11:28pm
I think they are like that because they don't take their profession seriously and or their overall personality.  Personally, I never overbook.  I feel each client deserves my undivided attention and service.  I don't even hold phone conversations while I'm with a client.  It's just me and her.  Not only that, I can't stand the hustle and the pressure of having to service multiple clients at once.LOL

We need more stylist like you.Star
Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
    Eddie Cantor
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 12:38pm
I love my job, I love to see the delight of my clients and the great feedback I get from my clients makes me love my job even more.

I agree with you contagious, its just me and my client and my undivided attention is theres whilst they sit on my seat. I will not let them leave my salon unless they are 100% happy with their hair.

Unfortunately we need to except we have to deal with clients that want miracles and for free. We need to except that our profession is always going to get ridiculed by some clients, but in your heart of hearts you know as well as I do we are good stylist and want the best for our clients and really what we do and think is all that really matters.

Keep up the good work contagious, ;)
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic