Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st time bleacher..eek

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sadeyes24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadeyes24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st time bleacher..eek
    Posted: March 29 2008 at 11:24am
Ok so I have never bleached my hair (unless they did so at the salon when I got highlights but I'm not sure what they used).  I started out first getting highlights at the salon and about 4 years ago and then I switched to coloring at home with an all over color, usually Ion Brilliance in Hi Lift Ash Blonde. I always have a problem with my roots, they tend to come out orangey and I've tried toners and shimmer lights shampoo.  I really want to be a white blonde and although I am very close to it now, it's not exactly what I want.  I'm thinking about bleaching.  My hair is in okay condition, not as soft as it used to be, but not coarse either. 
If I were to bleach what would the steps be?  would I just bleach over my colors?  Any good bleach anyone could reccomend?
Sorry for all the questions just really nervous. :)
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 2:52pm
This is my own opion, I would never recommend anyone apply bleach to their whole head, it doesn't matter if your hair is in good condition or not. If a client came into my salon, I would advise them to to use a hi lift to achieve this look, also to get a professional stylist to do this for you.

PS The orangy roots is caused by applying the colour to the root area first. You should have applied to the ends of the hair first working up to the roots, as root area is new hair growth also heat from the scalp developed quicker at the roots.
karen sanderson
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 8:45pm
I have bleached my entire head before with great success. It can seem daunting at first because a lot of people seem to have "word phobia" about bleach, but as long as fully know the steps, the level system, and have the tools you need it can be done - and look good. Bleach is fabulous, I love using it.

Depending on the level you are now, you may, however be able to achieve platinum blonde with a high lift dye and 40 vol developer. Judging from you saying your hair has orange in it, I'm assuming you will need bleach.

If you already have colour in your hair now (the high lift blonde) applying another dye on top will do nothing. Colour does not lift colour.

You will need bleach. You can go to a salon and ask for this, and watch their techniques etc, or you research it online (thoroughly).

You will need to learn the universal level system first and foremost. And go from there.

Let is know what you decide.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2008 at 12:51pm
Hi -lift colour will lift your colour as it is that a hi lift and you hair colour is already light enough. Hi lift ,lift natural hair up to level 6. Different results depending on the level of your natural hair colour, ie, level 6,7,8,9.

Use one that has an ash tone and this will lift the Orange tone from your hair.

I accept most people have good experiences with bleach, but loads don't unfortunately. This is why I said it was only my opion at the top of my post.

I have trained for 4 years and have experience working with bleach, and I personally don't like working with it, (this is only with my experiences)
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic