Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOK SHE SAYS SHE'LL REMOVE IT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phillycutee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 4:26pm
I Agree with choclatey77!! Escpecially the part about people emailing the vendors and driving up our minimum orders
Hello, my name is Tiffany and i am a CHRONIC OVERDRESSER!
bigmomma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

Maybe I'm dumb, but isn't it OK to guide people to this forum for info? that's not bad right?
I have to agree.. and before anyone thinks about asking me... NO I am not the EBay seller from this listing.. (I shouldn't HAVE to write a disclaimer for having a DIFFERENT opinion.. and I also don't think it's fair to accuse fakeisme of being the E-Bay seller for having this SAME opinion..)

Sorry ladies, but for the life of me I can't see what harm sharing that the newbie information does.. This is not a private forum.. The newbie thread can EASILY be found through a Google search.. The woman didn't pass the information off as her own.. She SHARED it.. Sorry.. I just can't see the crime that's been committed here.. **SMH**
   That's right u have your own opinion, and i got mine! This is a place we come talk share  pictures and stuff  like that not to be posted all up on some ebay for everybody and they mama, if they search on they own it can easily be found.if they really wanted to know.
First There Was 2 Sets Of Footprints In The Sand, Then There Was 1 Set Of Footprints In The Sand ,When Time Gets Hard And sh*t Hits The Fan God Don't Walk With Me He Carry Me Man!(50)
sexibeach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by bigmomma bigmomma wrote:

Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

Maybe I'm dumb, but isn't it OK to guide people to this forum for info? that's not bad right?
I have to agree.. and before anyone thinks about asking me... NO I am not the EBay seller from this listing.. (I shouldn't HAVE to write a disclaimer for having a DIFFERENT opinion.. and I also don't think it's fair to accuse fakeisme of being the E-Bay seller for having this SAME opinion..)

Sorry ladies, but for the life of me I can't see what harm sharing that the newbie information does.. This is not a private forum.. The newbie thread can EASILY be found through a Google search.. The woman didn't pass the information off as her own.. She SHARED it.. Sorry.. I just can't see the crime that's been committed here.. **SMH**
   That's right u have your own opinion, and i got mine! This is a place we come talk share  pictures and stuff  like that not to be posted all up on some ebay for everybody and they mama, if they search on they own it can easily be found.if they really wanted to know.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
mochamom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 5:56pm
all I can say is wow, darn shame.  hopefully the CV won't impose a minimum again due to something like this.
Mocha
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by choclatey77 choclatey77 wrote:

Diva i think is wrong because she didnt just guide them to hairboutique she posted the newbie thread on her listing and then removed the posting and added the link to the same spot.
And that's all a nice thought, but it PRESUMES that you can't get to the information any other way.. Is Google and Yahoo wrong too?? Because it's easy enough to get to the SAME thread through a Google or Yahoo search. And let's be clear, a search engine doesn't just store the link to the thread, it stores the CONTENT of a forum thread.. This is how it's indexes can match search results to search terms. This information is posted on an OPEN forum.. It's not secured or password protected.. It's already OUT THERE for the world to see.. Expecting others to not "spread the word" is just not realistic..

Its wrong because Ebay is for people to buy and sell things not to tell people how to cut out the middle man and just buy directly thru the chinese vendors.
Again, a nice thought, but this forum and BHM is FULL of information on just how to do that.. All I see her doing is sharing the SAME information with her potential buyers.. I fail to understand WHY sharing this information is somehow supposed to be limited to a particular venue..

I think its unfair to people that are trying to make a living or trying to make extra money on ebay.
I don't see where she is selling information.. She's making money on a wig as far as I can see.. The information it appears she is giving away.. (and it was only information.. she didn't post anyone's pictures..)

IPlus like i said before if a person is really interested in lace wigs they need to search on there own to find the information for them selves not for it to just be displayed for the world to see on ebay. I think its fine to post a link to hairboutique but not directly to the newbie thread. Hopefully all of this attention doesnt affect any of the buisness that we have with the chinese vendors because there going to be getting alot more buisness from people that really dont know what there doing meaning alot of complaints when there order comes back wrong meaning there going to start doing minimums again and so on. Its just my opinion. 
Even if you banned people on E-Bay from spreading the word, the information is posted on the WORLD WIDE web.. Which means ANYONE in the WHOLE WORLD with an internet connection and some skill in using a search engine can see it.. Plus you are presuming that because it's on EBay it's somehow more accessible to the world than this forum.. Neither is a source that anyone is going to just STUMBLE into, they would have to search to find it..

I guess I just don't have that big a problem with SHARING information with anyone seeking it.. I don't have an expectation that those who come behind me need to suffer JUST LIKE I DID.. I am HAPPY to FREELY share what I have learned so that someone else can benefit from my experiences (good and bad). I am happy to share to make the next woman's road a LOT easier.. So I will NEVER understand why it is that when it's discovered that the information (which is shared freely and DAILY on this and other venues) is being spread/shared by others that it's this HUGE deal.. Sharing pictures that don't belong to you is one thing.. Sharing information IMO is not a big deal as long as you are not passing it off as your own..

Edited by Divavocals - May 17 2008 at 12:39am
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
prettyandbrains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 9:26pm
The difference is that if people go on the WORLD WIDE WEB and search on a search engine they are serious about getting a lace front and will most likely join one of our boards. How would you like it if you could no longer get a unit from a CV because of this or better yet, if SexiBeach deleted the newbie thread. And with all that fuss you are making it seems like you are the one that posted that info......hmmmm
-There is no limit to what an active mind can achieve. Never stop thinking and discovering- Me
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by prettyandbrains prettyandbrains wrote:

The difference is that if people go on the WORLD WIDE WEB and search on a search engine they are serious about getting a lace front and will most likely join one of our boards. How would you like it if you could no longer get a unit from a CV because of this or better yet, if SexiBeach deleted the newbie thread.
You would be surprised with the number of people who READ this forum without joining, and the number of people who join and NEVER post. You cannot know with any certainty who is reading this information, how serious they are about buying, and what they are doing with the information they find..

I personally don't find this E-Bay ad as agregious as it's being made to seem.. I have refered lots of people to this forum, HE101, and BHM, and I will continue to do so.. I don't have any problem sharing information, and if that's somehow considered a no no, then I say we will have to agree to disagree.. I see NOTHING wrong with sharing information..

Originally posted by prettyandbrains prettyandbrains wrote:

And with all that fuss you are making it seems like you are the one that posted that info......hmmmm
Hmmmmmm....

***checks her internet log***

For reals?????Shocked  I am??? REALLY??? You KNOW that for sure???

Why is it that folks wanna toss out accusations ANYTIME someone doesn't agree with a particular point of view?? I don't think homegirl did anything particuarly wrong.. and many of you don't agree.. Okay.. We'll just have to agree to disagree... Why is my having a different opinion considered a SIGN of my complicity in this E-Bay ad?? So because I don't have an issue with this ad like other folks, I MUST be the one who wrote it???LOLLOLLOL That's funny.. I couldn't write as bad as that woman if I TRIED hard..

Edited by Divavocals - May 16 2008 at 11:49pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
choclatey77 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 2:50am
Diva- seriously you asked a question and i responded the way that i felt about it from  my heart and if you don't understand where i'm coming from thats fine. Every body doesn't have to agree, i'm just stating the way i feel and thats it i'm not going to keep going back and fourth about this incident. Just let me say this, Sexi posted this information for people that really have an interest in lace fronts and that are willing to take the time and effort to research and ask questions about lace wigs on there own time. Most of the lf sisters take something like this seriously because  we have been there for each other through the thick and thin,  through sickness and health. We have been there praying for each others giving each other inspiration and kind words to help each other through the hard times. We really do genuially  care about each other even though we never even met each other. We have researched lace fronts for months on  the other other forum before we even made our first post so when we did make our first post we actually felt like we knew all of the lf vets before we even had any actual contact with them. We've gotten to know each other just through word and i find that very special.  There's people that have actually shaved there own hair off because they want the best application that they can get. Now baby that dedication, and i personally don't want all of this precious information that Sexi and all of the other lf divas provided to be taken for granted. They took there time out to compile this information for people that really want to learn about lace fronts, and for it to just be given out to anyone it's like a slap in the face. This is nothing to take lightly this information is valuable  and we are truly a lf family. I know its hard to understand because most forums arent like that but we have followed each other from one forum to another because thats what you do when when you care about people that have opened there hearts and there knowledge that we probably would have not even have had no ideal about if it wasn't for them. We understand each other and every body else doesn't have to understand where were coming from and thats just life. So what i said is what i meant and if any body has a problem with it then so f$uken what this is my opinion and any body can pick apart any statement that i made if they want to cause i don't give a damn. I stand by every word that i say and i appreciate all of the ladies saving me money and time on a 6 or 700 dollar wig that i could have waisted my money on. A worthless wig that would have shedded and matted one me not even lasting long enough to get my monies worth. So all im saying is if a person is truly interest they should take the time out to research this valuable information on there own. When you dont take the time out to do it on your own you cant even appreciate it. I just want people to really appreciate the information that has been provided to us and im going to be honest i just got back from a party and im drunk as hellz but as they say when you drunk you tell the truth and that is what im doing so im not really giving a damn how anyone feels. Im about to go to bed though because my head is spinning and the light on the computer is getting to me so good night all and i love yall sweet dreams. Also im not saying its wrong to tell someone about a forum to check it out and do research about lace wigs but to just put all of this information on ebay for just anyone to read is unecessary. If your on ebay to sell a wig then do just that you dont have to give all of the information about chinese vendors and other info that people have taken there time out to compile for die hard lace wig lovers that really want to learn the technique. Okay im done i dont even know if i made any since but i really dont even care good night ladies.

Edited by choclatey77 - May 17 2008 at 3:03am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 6:41am

Diva- seriously you asked a question and i responded the way that i felt about it from  my heart and if you don't understand where i'm coming from thats fine.
I actually didn't ask a question.. I pretty much stated that I don't agree with the idea that the E-Bay ad did anything so over the top wrong by sharing info from this or any other forum.. And that's fine.. You responded, and so did I.. We have a different opinion on this matter, and that's all there is to it at the end of the day.. Tongue

Edited by Divavocals - May 17 2008 at 6:48am

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 9:42am
Welcome to my world since 1995 when I started my first website that dealt with Long Hair.  Shortly after that was HairBoutique.com.  The first website had the original HairTalk forum which you are all visiting now (well a version of it because we have upgraded software 1-2x a year since the 1995 original software.

I am going to close this topic now because I am sure everyone has pretty much had their say.

However, I wanted to let all of you know that on an average day, HairBoutique.com receives many hundreds of thousands of visitors from all over the world.  Which explains all the obnoxious spam from China trying to sell shoes.  UGH.  I spend so much time deleting their crap it.  You guys have no idea how much I catch that you all never even see.

Even if 300 people are logged into HairTalk, there may even be another 1,000 lurking...as they call it.  There are millions of people that have come through HairTalk since 1995 when we first put up HairTalk.  Some hang around and participate, some just get answers and leave forever and some pop in from time to time.  I watch the logs religiously on a daily basis to understand what is happening with our traffic.

On on another note........since the mid 1990s I have written over 2,500 new articles about hair.  When we recently purchased software to check on copyright theft, which is happening so much, on my top 25 articles, there were over 1,000 instances of either the complete or partial sections of those articles cut and pasted completely into other websites.  Most of the time there was no linkback or credit given to me or HairBoutique.com.  In those instances, depending on the severity, we had our lawyers go after the sites.

The Internet is like the Wild West, most of the time, without police.  We have had everything "borrowed" from here including our images - which we pay for, my articles - which I have spent 10 years of my life developing and writing, our tips, our Glossary of Term...you name it.

So yes, I appreciate the fact that a lot of hard work was put into the Newbies info.  I appreciate that it is here and it is an excellent way to help others, which is the good part of the Web.  People in the know give of their information. 

Even though it has made me furious when I see people copying my stuff w/out even links back, I take it as a compliment.  It is a pain in the ass because I took the time to develop it in the first place and if they are violating copyright, I will go after them with my lawyer. 

But in the case of the forums, here and all over the web, it is people sharing with other people.

Should this woman have used Sexi's info without asking?  No..probably not.  It would have been nice if she would have asked if she could add a link or let her know she loved her info, which is awesome (thank you Sexi).  In reality, she was giving Sexi a huge compliment by saying that Sexi's info was the BEST for getting started.  That is awesome praise.  But yes, she might have gone about it a little differently.

Did anyone here post the info or give it to the EBay lady?  I seriously doubt it.  Why?  I see references to HairBoutique.com or HairTalk in magazines, books...etc.,  Goggle News and MySpace news often pick up HB and HairTalk info in their daily news.  No, they never ask me.  Yes, I am very complimented that they value the info to use it.  It brings more people here to share their knowledge, which we all need. 

People copy from HB and HairTalk postings because there is a wealth of hair and beauty related info that has been growing since 1995 provided by real people with real hair and beauty issues.  

Yes, it may seem bad and there are elements that are upsetting.  I understand.  It happens to me all the time but it is also a compliment to Sexi and all of you here with your superb knowledge and williness to help each other with a topic so near and dear to your heart.

It could have been worse.  The woman could have taken Sexi's Newbie info, rewrote it just enough that she could not have been sued for copying and then posted it as her own rather than putting a link to the original info.  

The Internet is both good and bad.  We can take the good and enjoy it and get value from it and try to minimize the bad. 

I am glad that Sexi is happy with the outcome and she should be very complimented.

Thanks for all your feedback. 

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic