Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why doesn't my color last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EuropeanSecret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EuropeanSecret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why doesn't my color last?
    Posted: July 29 2008 at 9:55pm
Hi everyone,
I found the perfect hair color for me, L'Oreal Preference in dark ash brown. It brings out my eyes, and I always get great compliments when wearing it.
The problem that I have with it though is that is doesn't last... After 3-4 washes, my color is almost back to my natural color (medium brown). :(
Why is that? I thought preference is a permanent color...

Anything I can do to make the color last? Forever if possible, LOL. ;)

Thank you for your help!

PS.: I have pretty fine hair, don't know if that matters. I use shampoo for colored hair, and the conditioner that comes with the color. Other than that, I use a volume mousse, and that's it.

Edited by EuropeanSecret - July 29 2008 at 9:59pm
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2008 at 12:30pm
European: I wonder, are you pulling the colour through ALL of your hair every time you colour? Or do you just do the roots? I only ask because pulling colour through the hair regularly (20 vol. peroxide) is damaging to the hair --- even with dark colour. The problem is, a lot of people think that because they are going darker, they are not damaging their hair.

I would say your hair is very porous. That is why the colour does not hold. But, also keep in mind, that colour does fade --- all colour. It's good you use the colour shampoo and conditioners. I would 'suggest' that you transition to a demi-permanent colour (like Natural Instincts or Radiance Colorgloss) that has a lower peroxide as you only need to deposit colour to go darker. You don't need 20 vol. peroxide on your hair if you are going darker.

I would also suggest that you do some good conditioning treatments and equalize your porosity --- get your hair in shape. The better the health of your hair, the better it will hold colour!Tongue
Love clip-ins and tape!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2008 at 4:57am
Going darker is sometimes easier to do with a semi or demi because you are depositing color only.
Permanate color has peroxide in it which kinda works against you if you're trying to go darker.(Demis may have some but usually not as much)It also dries your hair out more,and could make it more porous.

I have gone darker with much success using clairol natural instincts (which I think is a demi) I'm not sure if Loreal has a demi  (casting color spa maybe?)
You could also try a color depositing shampoo.I used to use one called ARTec,but I think it's under Loreal now.

Edited by julesyjul88 - August 09 2008 at 1:18am
amilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2008 at 10:10am

I used to have this same problem. It didn't matter if I used semi, demi or permenant, the color would wash out in 3 or 4 washes. I even went to a salon and spent 40 dollars trying to get my hair just 2 shades darker. Nothing seemed to work. I finally figured it was because of dying my hair a lot when I was a teenager, my hair was damaged.

So I haven't dyed my hair in almost a year. I've been using Pantene Pro-V Fortifying Fortifier. It helps damaged hair and it really works, you just use it once a week and keep it in for 3 minutes before washing it out. My hair falls out less and is smoother now. I also use Pantene Protecting Proteger which helps protect your hair form damage due to styling products.

In exactly one week I have an appointment to get my hair colored again - the same dark shade I was trying last year. I'll let you know if this has helped enough to let the color stay in longer.
kallard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2008 at 12:42pm
DO NOT USE BOXED COLOR. Go to a beauty supply store and buy your color there. The boxed color is a one size fits all that doesn't fit all. The peroxide that is in the kit is probably not right for your hair. Also, don't use SLS shampoo...use a sulfate free shampoo. I just discovered my local CostCo just got some organic, sulfate-free shampoo in stock and I will be trying it soon.

If you are coloring at home, great advice is available at: http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic