Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

haircut/shampoo to make hair more curly?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
skittle1355 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skittle1355 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: haircut/shampoo to make hair more curly?
    Posted: November 18 2008 at 3:56pm
Hey, im 19, i have somewhat long hair, it goes about 2-3 inches below the ears. im going for that really messy skater/surfer look, only thing is my hair is pretty straight. if i leave it alone after showering, its pretty much straight with a very slight bit of a wave to it. i usually kinda scrunch it with my hands a little bit while its still wet to get it to kinda flip a little more, but i find it can make it unnatural looking sometimes.
so i was wondering if there is a specific style of haircut i can get to get that very messy, moppy look, and mabye get it to curl more. when i get my hair cut, i tell them i want it to be really messy, like not even at all, but its still not how i like it, its a pretty even cut, with a little bit of fraying, but i want super uneven lengths and stuff.

and also is there a shampoo and/or conditioner i can use to make my hair slightly more curly? im not looking for super curly hair, just somewhat straight, but noticibly waivy is what i want.

and one more question, is there something i can use to get my hair darker? i dont want to dye it, right now i have a light dirty blonde color, but i want a darker dirty blonde/brown color, i think i have this color naturally, i spent the summer trying to lighten my hair up a bit by putting stuff in it when i went outside to bleach it, and i really dont like the look. so should i wait for my hair to grow more and get my natural hair color back? or is there a simple way to do this without dyeing it?

oh and gel and high maintenance isnt much of an option for me, im always outside sweating, and swimming and stuff, and gel would last maybe 10 minutes, so im looking for an option where i can get out of the shower and not have to worry about it much throughout the day
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2008 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by skittle1355 skittle1355 wrote:

Hey, im 19, i have somewhat long hair, it goes about 2-3 inches below the ears. im going for that really messy skater/surfer look, only thing is my hair is pretty straight. if i leave it alone after showering, its pretty much straight with a very slight bit of a wave to it. i usually kinda scrunch it with my hands a little bit while its still wet to get it to kinda flip a little more, but i find it can make it unnatural looking sometimes.
so i was wondering if there is a specific style of haircut i can get to get that very messy, moppy look, and mabye get it to curl more. when i get my hair cut, i tell them i want it to be really messy, like not even at all, but its still not how i like it, its a pretty even cut, with a little bit of fraying, but i want super uneven lengths and stuff.

and also is there a shampoo and/or conditioner i can use to make my hair slightly more curly? im not looking for super curly hair, just somewhat straight, but noticibly waivy is what i want.

and one more question, is there something i can use to get my hair darker? i dont want to dye it, right now i have a light dirty blonde color, but i want a darker dirty blonde/brown color, i think i have this color naturally, i spent the summer trying to lighten my hair up a bit by putting stuff in it when i went outside to bleach it, and i really dont like the look. so should i wait for my hair to grow more and get my natural hair color back? or is there a simple way to do this without dyeing it?

oh and gel and high maintenance isnt much of an option for me, im always outside sweating, and swimming and stuff, and gel would last maybe 10 minutes, so im looking for an option where i can get out of the shower and not have to worry about it much throughout the day

Hey,

It's best if you take images or photos to show the hairstylist what you want your hair to look like after you wash it.  If you just describe it to them they may or may not be able to recreate it for you.  In fact, hairdressers are very visual so unless you specifically show them, they may not "get it" with regard to what you want to recreate.

Tell them you want strategically placed layers so that you can scrunch.  Using a mousse product or a glaze that gives hair some slip will help with scrunching. 

The new Ken Paves color drops can temporarily darken hair.  There is a color for brown.  You can apply it in the shower or if you want it darker between washings then go ahead and mix the drops with a leave-in conditioner.

Other options?  Use a shampoo that puts color into your hair.  J.R. Lazartizue has a good option as does several other lines.  Or you can use the John Frieda Brunette line.  It will help magnify the brunette shades.

You may want to opt for a shorter style if you want to just step out of the shower and go.  Also, if your hair is a little short the layers will be easier to hold any type of scrunching or texture you put into your hair.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic