Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Caring for chemically straightened hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zsuper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsuper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caring for chemically straightened hair
    Posted: November 03 2009 at 12:05pm
Hi, I had my hair chemically straightened (by my stylist, not myself) with ISO's Mane Tamer yesterday. It went very well; it's been about 24 hours and my hair is extremely straight, soft, and feels very light.
However, after sleeping on it overnight, it's starting to frizz up. It's especially bad on the top of my head, where my part is. I have a lot of baby hair there that just goes everywhere. Aside from that, I have the generic kind of frizz that long hair gets; a few strands going crazy here and there.

I'm afraid to do anything about it, though, because my stylist told me not to shampoo for 48 hours. Supposedly the chemicals in shampoo are too harsh for my hair while it's still rebonding, and I don't want to do anything that could risk offsetting the effects even a little. I also don't have any good products, since I just moved and haven't been able to find any I've been comfortable with using in the past.

I was thinking of:
 - Rinsing my hair
 - Conditioning my hair (I'm out of Eufora, so I'd have to use Herbal Essence's conditioner for long hair; I've heard bad things about it, which is what I'm mostly afraid of)
 - Rinsing the conditioner
 - Applying a serum (all I have is John Freida's Frizz-Ease, which I'm a bit unsure about)
 - Combing a bit of gel in on either sides of the part to keep the baby hair down (I've never used gel, so I don't know what's good. I have a Tresemme defrizzing gel, but again, I hear Tresemme isn't very reliable)
 - Letting it air dry

Another reason I'm afraid to do anything with it at the moment is that it looks very.. Light, I guess? Before, it was really thick. The area around my part where you can see my scalp is larger now, because the hair seems thinner. I guess I'm afraid it's more likely to break because it's thinner.

I know I need to condition my hair well after having the straightening done, but I don't know how long I should wait afterwards.

Any help, clarifications, or guidelines would be great, thank you.

Edited by zsuper - November 03 2009 at 12:08pm
nati84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nati84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2009 at 4:29pm
I would take your stylist's advice DON'T do anything. You may think of calling him/her and asking if it would be ok to go over your hair with a flat iron on low heat to smooth your frizzies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic