Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nooga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazilian Keratin Hair Treatment
    Posted: June 27 2010 at 10:13pm
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Brazilian Keratin hair treatment invented in Brazil? If yes then do they make it in Brazil? If they make it in Brazil then can buy the genuine product that says Made in Brazil.
nati84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nati84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:18am
I do know that the treatment is from Brazil originally, however, not sure where in Brazil you would find one.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 7:46am
The Brazilian style hair smoothing treatments were actually discovered by a Brazilian mortician in Brazil (which is why the treatments are called Brazilian) who noticed that embalming fluid was straightening the hair of the corpses!

When he manufactured it for hair, it was made with formaldehyde which is used in embalming.

The smell from the formaldehyde was so strong that the initial hair stylists who used the treatments felt burning in their noses and throats for days afterward.

The original Brazilian could not be performed on anyone who was pregnant, nursing or had other known health issues.  It was not advised for anyone with lung problems.

After the treatment was discovered by companies in the United States they took it and reformulated it.  Initially the first companies to introduce the product in the US claimed it was formaldhye free.  However, that could not conclusively be proven.

The important thing to note is that the treatments have only been available in the US for a few years and it's too soon to know if any health related problems can develop from the treatments.

I actually have taken three classes in three different Brazilian style treatments and based on my reactions to those formulations will not do them. 

I know some hairdressers who will not do the treatments at all, others who will only do it wearing canister style masks to protect their lungs and some who aren't concerned at all with the long term potential for damage.

Although the treatment was initially discovered in Brazil, you don't have to go there to find the treatment. 

The Brazilian, also known as Brazilian Keratin Treatments (BKT) is one of the fastest growing salon services around.  It should be easy to find here in the US.  If you have decided to have it done to your hair.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
nooga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 3:11am
I thank you all for your contribution specially Karen.

Thank you again

Best regards,

Nooga
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 9:38am
Hi Nooga,

You are welcome.  Let us know what you decide to do.  I am always interested in hearing about people on their hair journeys.

Have a fabulous day.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
HAIRpros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAIRpros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 3:05pm
Be very careful with Brazilian Blowouts ladies. The chemicals used are highly toxic. Here is an article from the LA Times: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/10/image/la-ig-1010-beauty-brazil-20101010
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic