Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will my hair dye fade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
apete89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apete89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will my hair dye fade?
    Posted: January 02 2011 at 2:04pm
Here's the deal:

I am a natural dirty blond/very light brown

In the past I have had dyed my hair dark brown by a professional. Back then I used cheap shampoo/conditioner and would wash my hair every day, and the dye would fade all the way out to my natural color within a couple months.

I started having my hair dyed dark brown again in early September, but have been using good shampoo/conditioner and only washing every 3-5 days so it has hardly faded at all.

I'm ready to go back to my natural color. If I start using cheap shampoo and washing my hair daily, will all the dye fade out? Or will just the new dye (that covers my roots) fade, and the dye that's several months old stay at my tips?

DanaCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanaCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 5:11pm
I think how much dye fades depends more on the porosity of your hair and what developer the stylist used than on what type of shampoo you are using. If your stylist used a permanent tint and your hair was otherwise healthy, I doubt you are going to get more than a level or two fade at the absolute most.

It is hard to go back to blond (or to some extent even light brown) from dark brown (especially if you have multiple layers of tint) without using a color remover or bleach. I, personally, have not liked the color removers I have used. I have also found that the tints that supposedly lift tint have not worked terribly well (on my hair at least).

Again though, it just all depends on your hair and how many levels you need to lift, the general rule of thumb is that "tint doesn't lift tint". If it were me and my hair was healthy enough to do it, presuming I needed a lift of more than 3 or so levels, I would probably just bleach and tone and be done with it.
edwinanicola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwinanicola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 12:57am
I am more concerned that your hair will fall out. If you used semi-permanent hair color then it will fade out. With bleaching, I think you are going to have to allow your hair to grow out which is going to take some time as you know. Bleaching is very damaging to hair.
Kirbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 3:03am
I suggest that you should use hair conditioner for colored hair. There are some available products of it that you can buy at the malls or drug stores.
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 12:28pm
Unfortunately, the ingredients in a lot of nonprofessional products will strip out color.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic