Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did this happen?? So disappointed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did this happen?? So disappointed
    Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:26am
I was wondering if anyone had insight or advice on what to do here. For the last couple of years I've been going to a stylist whom I adore.  She always does a great job when she cuts my hair.  Last year I started getting my level 7 brown hair highlighted by her and the results were beautiful!  I've had my hair done again about 4 times since last year and until this last time I was always happy.  She's been adding lowlights as well the last few times since I told her I don't want to get too light.  This time though, my color turned out dull and actually kind of ashy on the ends.  I didn't pay much mind at first seeing as how my hair color always changes a bit through the process of daily shampooing; I thought I'd wait it out and see if it lightened a bit.  But I ended up going back to her a week later once I noticed the color just getting duller. 

She ended up giving me a malibu crystal treatment, then re-toned using a warmer color.  It helped somewhat on the ends, but they do still look kind of dull.  Meanwhile, the top of my head looks kind of bright and almost just a tad too gold for my liking.  I just wish I could have the color back that I had before I went in for my re-touch :(  So disappointing.  Should I leave it alone? I've already been back one and prior experience tells me there isn't much I can do at this point without compromising the health of my hair. Maybe a good trim will restore some liveliness to it and I have a feeling the tone will change a bit as time goes on.  But what do I do going forward?  I'm almost afraid to have the highlights and lowlights done again 3-4 months from now once I've got noticeable re-growth.  I'm afraid if she uses a warm toner I'll be too gold; if she uses a neutral toner I'll probably grab ash on the damaged ends.  Or should I tell her to use less lowlights?  I'm confused, help! (Sorry so long, by the way).
DanaCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanaCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 1:53am
I don't understand what you are saying she is doing. Is she just doing the regrowth or is she rehighlighting/lowlighting through the mid-shift/ends? It sounds like the latter, which is a long-term recipe for disaster, but truthfully is what most hair dressers do that I have worked with.

Doing that over time is very hard on the hair. Your hair will become porous and eventually turn to rubber and/or break. If she is *not* doing that, it may be that your ends are just grabbing the toner/tint more at the bowl than the rest of your hair. What you are seeing with hotter roots is normal and there is not much that can be done about that without just coloring the regrowth or using a different product or developer for the regrowth. That, of course, also depends on what your hair's starting point was when you started with the highlighting.

I go sometimes a couple years at a time with highlights. What I do is this...I have my stylist lift up the previously highlighted hair and just lighten the regrowth in the same pattern (in foils) while coloring the base color in between the foils (I have a high percentage of grey). I will usually go on a cycle where I do subsequently heavier highlights over several months. Other times, I will keep mostly the same amount as I mentioned previously. What I don't do is relighten and/or tone the mid-shaft and ends. If anything, sometimes we just tone them for a few minutes at the bowl when needed. When I get tired of the blond, I will either then go the other direction slowly adding lowlights. Again, we don't overlap unless necessary. Rather than that, sometimes if I am really tired of highlights or want to give my hair a break, I will instead do an all over demi color for several months and frequent conditioning, as well as giving the ends a good cut.

Highlighting is generally not as damaging or difficult to maintain as an all over bleach, but it does have its' challenges, especially if you have a lazy stylist. Of course, watch the condition of your hair and let that guide you as well!
girl23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girl23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 11:28am
i wish i had healthy hair...I also highlight and color so often...sometimes 2-3 times in one day..if I color myself...the box colors always come so different when i apply them :(
ALWAYS BE TRUE TO URSELF :) NO MATTER WHAT
elumencolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elumencolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 2:34pm
I think you should go see another colorist, obviously she doesn't know what she's doing. Find another salon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic