Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to fix my hair... maybe you can help??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zbrgrl8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zbrgrl8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trying to fix my hair... maybe you can help??
    Posted: May 24 2011 at 9:22pm
I dyed my hair a reddish brown and didn't like it much, but left it alone forever. Now I have like 3 inches of roots. Yeah, I know, ew...

I want to dye it as close as I can get to my natural color (a light ash brown/dark ash blonde), but will the roots affect the dye job? I want to use an at-home brand (Garnier, Revlon...) but will I have a 3" ring of lighter, less red hair where my roots are and darker, more red hair where the old dye is? Or will it, being a permanent level 3 dye, cover all my hair more evenly than that?

If it makes a difference, I was thinking about using Revlon Color Silk in Light Ash Brown 50.

If it's going to leave a ring, should I streak lots highlights through all my hair first so its more even when I put the light brown dye on?

Please please help!! I really need an answer soon as I have to go to a wedding this weekend  and I don't have enough $ to pay a stylist to do it. Cry
marisax1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marisax1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 9:42pm
I suggest dying your roots as close to the color of the rest of your hair before applying your desired color. If you put A color over it now , especially a lighter color it will come out uneven. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reykjaviky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reykjaviky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 9:48am
If you are going to a wedding and don't have the money to pay a stylist, maybe to be on the safe side wear a cute hat or pin your hair up with cute clips, bows or something maybe? I know that may sound dorky but color correction can be very tricky, trust me, I know. I have done it myself (and you can go down an even more distraught route and end up with worse color and damage than you started out with) and I have gone to professionals to have color correction and sometimes it takes even them more than one try – especially if you tried to fix it yourself before you go to them- so if you are in a time bind, I would wait before doing something that drastic right before an important event like a wedding.  My hair was ruined a month ago at a salon and I am now stuck with very weird brassy AND ashy highlights and I paid a LOT of money for it. So I totally understand your dilemma and desperation. I hate the way my hair looks, no one on this planet has hair my color. But I am having to be patient and condition it for a couple of months, save some more money, let it grow out some and do a heck of a lot of research on finding a truly qualified colorist in my area which I thought I had done before. P.s. I had  4 years of virgin hair growth, grown down to the bottom of my shoulder blades. Good luck dear! 

Edited by Reykjaviky - May 29 2011 at 9:50am
wolfbanecs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfbanecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 2:30am
I'm probably too late... but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in.

My biggest worry is the intensity of the red. (which I'd assume has probably faded a lot). I know you said you wanted to do at home box dye, but if there is a sally's near you, it can be just as easy to use professional dye. (I would NOT suggest box dye for this job. It will likely make a biggest mess)

If you want to get it done at home, this is what I would do. I would buy a non-lifting color remover from a beauty supply store. This can take out SOME of the intensity from your length without affecting your virgin hair. Also, it will prepare it for the dye. This will affect the quality of your hair a bit, so I'd wait a day or two before doing the next part. (see above for tricks on hiding because usually hair looks terrible right here)

If you want to go ahead immediately wash and condition it very well. Then, use a protein filler (can be bought at Sally's) This will help the hair take more evenly. I'd then put a shade of Ash light-brown (I would pick the darkest you're willing to go because it will cover up the red better) You might need a toner, which I'd just throw on the ends.

My experience with this has been somewhat mixed. When I did my friend's hair it turned out perfectly. When I did my hair I damaged my hair to the point where it won't take dye anymore. I skipped the waiting, conditioning, and protein filler on my hair. (which I utilized on my friend's hair) I would -not- skip those steps if at all avoidable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic