Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Want Curly Wavy Hair Back. Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cxyhandbags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cxyhandbags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want Curly Wavy Hair Back. Ideas?
    Posted: June 19 2011 at 10:19pm
My hair is naturally dark brown, thick and curly/wavy.
It was stick straight and looooong all the way up until I was in my senior year of high school.  It then became out of control frizzy so I started straightening it with a blow-dryer.  A year later I noticed that it was curly/wavy but I had NO IDEA how to deal with it and it was such a pain to deal with that I continued to straighten it.  Eight years later and I am still straightening and highlighting my hair.

There have been sporadic incidences (very few… I could count them on one hand) in the past that my hair actually behaved for a day and I was *magically* able to have curly hair and I LOVED it!  I would just love to have wavy or curly hair again but it just doesn’t seem to work for me at all anymore. 

Have I straightened all of the curl out of my hair??  I have tried numerous times and played with many different products and different techniques to get my hair to be wavy or curly… and sadly all I get is half straight/half frizzy hair with a slight wave.  It doesn’t look good.  It is now shoulder length… and straight.  Do you have any ideas or advice???

Edited by Karen Shelton - June 20 2011 at 6:31am
hairfashion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfashion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 1:52am
Just like that you said.Lace wigs may be a good choice.How do you think?
office2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote office2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 2:02am

Hi,

It is possible to over straighten and over process the natural curls from your hair.  Unfortunately once you get into a cycle where you have to flat iron or blow dry straighten to get hair to behave, you are perpetuating the problem.

The only way is to go cold turkey.  Which means making a committment to not blow drying straight or flat ironing for as long as it takes to get your hair so that it reverts to its natural curls and waves.

I would suggest the following actions to get your hair back to good curly/wavy days:

1.  Change how you cleanse your hair.  If you're not doing a Low Poo or Diluted shampoo then consider that OR you may want to do a Conditioner Only (CO) wash or a Water Only (WO) wash to minimize your hair being exposed to damaging full strength formauls.  Only use lukewarm water.
2.  Rinse cleansing product out completely.
3.  Apply a really good moisturizing rinse-out conditioner from the top of your ears down to the ends.  Detangle in the shower with fingers or wide tooth comb.  Work slowly and carefully from the ends to the roots.  Work in small sections.
4.  Once hair is detangled then rinse well and finish with a cool or cold final rinse.
5.  Towel blot to remove excess moisture.
6.  Apply a leave-in/defrisant/styling cream cooktail.  You might try mixing a leave-in conditioner with a defrisant and if necessary a curl enhancing cream.
7.  Separate your hair into 2" sections and wrap into ringlets around your fingers.  Do this throughout your entire head.  Pin into place.  Let hair air dry.
8.  After letting hair air dry completely unpin the curls and bend over at the waist and lightly shake and tousle.  Fluff and lightly rake with fingers.  Do not comb or brush.

Try this approach and see how your curls and waves respond.  You might be surprised.  There are lots of great defrisant products on the market at various prices but Phytodefrisant is probably the best.  It is pricey but a tiny bit goes a very long way.  Just a dab or two massaged into the palms of your hands and distributed from your roots to your ends before you curl into ringlets will usually help block frizz and help curls looks soft. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by office2010 - July 02 2011 at 7:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic