Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"new" to curly hair - style help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kallard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "new" to curly hair - style help!
    Posted: July 08 2011 at 1:47pm
This might sound weird, but I'm sure I'm not the first or only person to experience this....

I grew up with fine, straight hair. (Think, Marcia Brady)

I notice, when I had children 15 years ago, that the underneath layer of my hair was more wavy/curly. Still, I have always blow-dried my hair straight, because that is what I have always done.

Now I notice that there is a lot more natural wave in my hair than ever, and that I might be able to style my hair enhancing this look. My sister has naturally curly hair, and I think she just washes, combs, and nothing else. How do I put something on my hair to enhance the curls, but keep them soft and not "wet" or gelled?

I am used to brushing my hair frequently and running my hands through my hair. Don't think this works so well with curly hair. I personally like my straight look, but want to cut down how often I use heat/dryers/stylers.

Suggestions?
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 2:01pm

Hi,

Welcome to the curly hair club.

First of all curly hair sometimes tends to be more dry so make sure you have a great conditioner, a good deep conditioner and always keep your curls moisturized to keep them looking their best.

As for styling curly hair I like to condition my hair in the shower and comb it while the conditioner is in it with a wide tooth comb. Combing curly hair when it is dry causes breakage and damage;  the curlier the hair the more you should stay away from combing or brushing your hair when it is dry.

After I get out of the shower I do not manipulate my hair very much such as running my fingers through it, you want to keep the curls defined and in their curl pattern so the less you touch it and mess with it the better.

I don’t like using gels, hairspray or mousse on my hair either. What I use is a leave in treatment to keep my hair nice and healthy, such as the Aveeno conditioning leave in treatment or the Fructis triple nutrition spray.  Sometimes I even spray on some argan oil treatment by Live Clean. After that to hold the curls I use a leave in conditioner. I like the Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner because it does not leave build up, it smells good, and it doesn’t leave flakes. I also like it because you can adjust the hold, the more you put on the more hold and definition you get and the less you put the less hold you get. If you do put a lot and it gets a bit hard just use the scrunching method to make it soft again. I also sometimes use the Aussie Hair Insurance which is a leave in conditioner spray. Sometimes I put a finishing serum on afterwards such as my CHI Silk Infusion which leaves my hair very soft when it dries. I’d suggest letting your hair air dry almost completely before trying to style it so you don’t mess up your curl definition.

Good luck

Edited by Ericachristina - May 28 2012 at 2:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic