Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Artist - Juan Perez - Passes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
simontips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simontips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Artist - Juan Perez - Passes
    Posted: December 26 2011 at 7:47pm

Juan Blas Perez de Corcho Herrera was born July 3, 1966, (he was 45) in Moron, Cuba, to Blas, who worked in bank management, and Elva (Herrera). He had a brother Carlos, who works at a Cuban resort, and a sister Lourdes, an engineer.

Perez, who picked up English very quickly, learned hair-styling apprenticing at The Head Room (St. Johns' in Canada) and training at what was then called trades school.

He was creative and innovative and had great taste. A good hair stylist has an eye for fashion and the stamina to spend hours standing and Perez had both and more.

He was quite driven, and always personable, for example taking time to compliment other The Head Room clients, not just his own.

Platform Artist For Goldwell

Alongside his successful work in St. John’s, he rose to the top ranks of the industry, becoming an International Platform Artist with Goldwell, the international salon product and service supply company.

This meant he helped develop new color trends and demonstrated them from a stage at trade shows where his audience could be as large as 60,000 people.

Companies like Goldwell would fly Perez all over the world – Berlin, New York, Miami. Perez, who became a Canadian citizen, also visited his family in Cuba.

St. John's, Canada Was Home

But St. John’s was his home. There was room for his skill and his potential, and time for his interests in cooking and practizing meditation and Buddhism.

“He came in at a time when a lot of people were coming from Cuba,” said Bridget Foster, executive director of the Association for New Canadians.

“Juan made good connections,” Foster said. “He had a terrific desire to work with hair. An enormous talent.”

Similar To Vidal Sassoon

Foster said Perez’s flair and charm reminded her a little of Vidal Sassoon, dubbed the rock star hairstylist “who changed the world with a pair of scissors.”

Juan Perez, who left Cuba at age 17 to study for – and complete – an electrical engineering degree in Russia, and who defected in 1990 at Gander as his flight was refuelling. He wanted to make a new home, and to forge a new career.Perez wanted to become a hair stylist.

When he arrived, Perez didn’t speak English. But he was determined to pursue his chosen trade. He asked at the ANC for the name of a really good salon. They suggested The Head Room, and off he went.

The Head Room Salon

“He came in looking for a job,” said Trish Molloy, owner of the salon. “He was really, really sweet, charming and handsome, and he was very smart. I hired him that day.” Molloy said Perez’s life “was an immigrant story, and a Canadian story.” He had a dream and with hard work he made it happen.

Lung Cancer

Perez died Dec. 6 in St. John’s of complications from lung cancer. He had never smoked and his diagnosis earlier this year was a shock.

Juan Perez leaves his parents, Blas and Elva, his siblings, Carlos and Lourdes, and his partner, Sean Freake.

“What an amazing journey he had,” Foster said.

emmanino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmanino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2011 at 7:37am
Very sad that he died so young.  I have heard that lung diseases are much more common with hairstylists and that it is part of a risk factor with their profession.  Do you think this had any bearing?
feast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2012 at 12:43am
The reason why everyone MEN/WOMAN loses hair , secret that i am telling all of you , cause enough is enough of hiding this , TRUST ME ON THIS ! . i know people that do this for a living/job, its done totally underground , no one ever finds out or believes this . They do this by aiming electromagnetic waves energy/radiation remote at you/everyone and your hair gets brital and dry , and eventually it falls off . This is something extremely hard to believe , but this is what they use to make hair fall off and make money . All they have to do is put transmitters and recievers that go in your body/skin not always this way but most of the time is what they use and they aim the electromagnetic  at you 24/7 it works by remote , they can do it from another building/somewhere else , you would not believe how this can be done , but it is happening. I can guarantee that you get most of these symtoms -- 1.split ends,dry, brittle,coarse ,lighter hair, itching , scalp itch , a weird feeling like pulse/chill on scalp ,you will also feel like you feel something moving in your scalp or hair , heat around your hair/scalp/head , ect,ect,ect. this is hard to believe people , but this is what's happening as we speak. they are trying to keep this a major secret from the public , and trust me they are doing a wonderful job threating people who are whare of this scam/technology . PLEASE PEOPLE BELIEVE ME , I AM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU A FIB OR SAY THIS CAUSE I WANT TO SCARE ANYONE , I AM TELLING THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH ! it sounds kind of nuts , but this is how they are doing it (HAIR LOSS) .      
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic