Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morena Baccarin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
natasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

"Mess".  You keep using this word.  I don't think it means what you think it means.

According to the forum's keyword search, this is the only post in which I've used the word "mess" in the last three years. And though English is not my native language, I'm pretty sure that I know what it means. But feel free to enlighten me.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:19pm
It's actually a paraphrased reference to the movie, The Princess Bride, where Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) says this to Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) because Vizzini continually shouts "Inconceivable!" when something just surprising and/or unlikely happens.

So, simply put, I was equating your use of the word "mess" with Vizzini's use of "inconceivable", i.e., it isn't applicable as used.

Which only proves that disecting a joke is like disecting a frog.  You may understand how it works, but you still kill it. Smile

JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
natasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 2:00pm
Oh, okay. I didn't know that quote. Will add "The Princess Bride" to my list of movies to watch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic