Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice,please.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
waitingforgodot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waitingforgodot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice,please.
    Posted: August 25 2012 at 10:34am
Hello,

I’ve got thin black hair, very light-weight which are naturally curly and extremely frizzy. I didn’t like my hair so I went for rebonding four years back. I couldn’t afford a great salon so I had to make-do with a mediocre one, which was the biggest mistake I made coz they spoiled my hair. They were inexperienced and my hair looked worse then before. My hair looked burnt whichever way you look at it and I had to wait for six months before I could get another job done on it. It took two more rebonding treatments before my hair was finally straight and looked the way I wanted it to be – straight and sleek. Last year, I again went for rebonding, but around the same time my POD (hormonal disorder) kicked in and lead to major hair loss. Almost 1/3rd of the original hair was gone. Ofcourse chemicals were also part of it, but my doctor confirmed it had to do with my hormonal syndrome. Now, half of my hair is straight but the new hair that is growing is back to curly light weight hair and it’s a very awkward look. I’ve to wear hearband to hide my natural curls, which usually look like frizzy hair. ): I am considering perming my hair so that the overall look would be curly and not half curly-half straight. Should I go for it? Does perm do major damage to your hair? How long does it lasts? Is it okay to perm your rebounded hair?
Currently I use John Frieda’s Brunette extra shine shampoo and hydrating conditioner. And I’ve long hair (the few strands of hair I’m left with anyway :/).

Thank you for taking time to read this long post. I would appreciate any advice. It’s okay if you criticize me for experimenting too much with my hair, but I guess everyone has some obsession, with me it’s my hair.
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 12:07am

The more you straighten your hair, dye it, perm it or use any type of chemicals and harsh treatments to alter your natural hair it will cause damage. If you have experienced hair loss my suggestion is that you don’t do anything harsh to your hair that will damage it further because if you do you could end up losing more hair due to breakage.

I know this may sound hard to do but the best thing you can do for your hair right now after such a dramatic loss is to let your hair regain its health by allowing it to be natural. I have very curly hair and I use to dislike my curly hair as well because I did not really know how to take proper care of it and keep it looking great. Curly hair can be difficult to deal with because it tends to get a bit puffy or frizzy and it can also become quite dry if you don’t keep it hydrated. If you learn to take care of your curly hair you will realize that it can look amazing. One thing that helps is if you find the right products dedicated to curly hair. Products that don’t leave your curls hard and crunchy in order to hold the curl but soft, bouncy and frizz free! There are tons of great videos on Youtube dedicated to curly hair and curly hair products. Now I wear my hair curly the entire summer and my curls are healthy and beautiful.

If you do want to straighten your hair from time to time opt for less drastic and less damaging methods like using a good quality flat iron below 451 degrees because anything over that burns the hair. Use a heat protectant spray and flat iron your hair in small sections. Heat can still cause some damage if you use too much heat and use it very often but if you use it on the lowest setting possible to achieve your style and you protect your hair it shouldn’t do any damage. There are also serums and anti-frizz products you can use.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic