Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coerced into unwanted haircut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coerced into unwanted haircut
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
One of my fellow classmates in an evening course at a nearby collegehas lived in the United States for six months, having otherwise livedher entire life in India. She is a reserved, gentle, and polite younglady. She had (key word -- "had") thick, hip-length, glossy hair thatwas nearly as thick at the ends as it was near the top, with no visiblesplit-ends. The condition of her hair was far superior to mine.For her first salon visit while in the United States, she went to anearby JCPenney salon, to have the ends trimmed only. She admitted tothe stylist that she never used conditioner. The stylist's verdict?That her hair was "dry" and "needed to be cut." So she acquiesced tothe stylist's recommendation, which was to cut off 16 inches of herhair. Her reaction? "I was very sad when my hair was being cut."She said that they sold her a bunch of products, including conditioner,which she told me had no noticeable effect on her hair. She said thatshe wants to return to India to visit her family, but has decided towait for two years until most of her hair grows back -- AND will haveher husband trim a tiny amount from the ends only, every once in awhile.IMO, the stylist did this young woman a tremendous disservice, andduped my classmate into an unnecessary -- and unwanted -- haircut.I wonder if the stylist recommended a major haircut in part because itwas believed that she wouldn't stand up and defend herself in the faceof "professional" advice to cut? Needless to say she is quite upsetstill and I feel badly for her that she was taken advantage of.Dave
David M Squires
H.Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
Dave, I feel very sorry for your friend, and think that the stylist has little integrity. . . .I find Indian hair to be some of the most beautiful (ever seen "Kama Sutra"?!) and my Indian friends have rarely needed to use any conditioner or styling products on their incredibly healthy hair. Do you ever think that some stylists are motivated purely by jealousy?!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
Hi H.Taylor,Thanks for your reply.I agree with your assessment of the hair of the people from the Asiansubcontinent of India. Thick, shiny, glossy... really beautiful hair.I am intrigued by your Indian friends who "rarely need to use anyconditioner." That's quite a statement. If this particular hairstylistreally knew their stuff about hairtypes, perhaps a conditioner wouldnot have been recommended?Do I think jealousy may have been this stylist's motive? Not knowingthe stylist, I have no idea, but it is possible. Making money sellingservices and products? Absolutely. Which is not necessarily a badthing, SO LONG AS it is (a) what the client has requested (!), and(2) will actually benefit the client's hair. I would imagine that thehaircut would have cost the same even if only the requested one inch ofhair had been trimmed. As for the conditioners? Given that you're nota stylist and even you knew that Indian hair doesn't especially benefitfrom conditioner...shouldn't the stylist have known this? Chalk up thesale of conditioner to "lining the stylist's pockets." Perhaps thisstylist enjoys cutting, and saw an "opportunity" (as in the younglady's lack of propensity to argue) to get away with cutting off LOTS.If so (and I don't know, but if so).... terribly unprofessional andcontemptable on the part of the stylist.Dave
David M Squires
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> Do I think jealousy may have been this stylist's motive?> Not knowing the stylist, I have no idea, but it is> possible.....Perhaps this stylist enjoys cutting, and saw> an "opportunity".....to get away with cutting off LOTS.Probably jealousy had little to do with this poor judgement, more likely your guess that the stylist just saw an opportunity to "exercise her scissors" on your friend's long hair.Think of this: if you drive race cars for a living, you want to be the fastest. If you design computers, you want to design the most powerful. If you are a politician, you want to "get tough" on some group.....IF YOU CUT HAIR for a living, then you want to get to CUT OFF A LOT OF HAIR! This is probably the stylist's biggest thrill: getting to whack off a few feet of healthy, shiny hair.Oh well. Tell your friend that it will grow back in time.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> Probably jealousy had little to do with this poor> judgement, more likely your guess that the stylist> just saw an opportunity to "exercise her> scissors" on your friend's long hair.> Think of this: if you drive race cars for a living,> you want to be the fastest. If you design computers,> you want to design the most powerful. If you are a> politician, you want to "get tough" on some> group.....> IF YOU CUT HAIR for a living, then you want to get to> CUT OFF A LOT OF HAIR! This is probably the stylist's> biggest thrill: getting to whack off a few feet of> healthy, shiny hair.Who knows maybe the stylist actually hates long hairDiane> Oh well. Tell your friend that it will grow back in> time.
Sammy the Snake View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy the Snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> The stylist's verdict?> That her hair was "dry" and "needed to be cut."Maybe it WAS dry and needed to be cut....this is exactly my point: most women with long hair do have hair that is too damaged to look good, so maybe it DID need a good cutting. Probably the beautician knows more about hair than you, so why not trust her choice? Your friend could have walked at any time, but she went with the professional advice.> So she> acquiesced to the stylist's recommendation,> which was to cut off 16 inches of her hair.> Her reaction? "I was very> sad when my hair was being cut."I guess that she won't be doing this in the future! she probably looks much better now!Sammy
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> Probably jealousy had little to do with this poor> judgement, more likely your guess that the stylist> just saw an opportunity to "exercise her> scissors" on your friend's long hair.> Think of this: if you drive race cars for a living,> you want to be the fastest. If you design computers,> you want to design the most powerful. If you are a> politician, you want to "get tough" on some> group.....> IF YOU CUT HAIR for a living, then you want to get to> CUT OFF A LOT OF HAIR! This is probably the stylist's> biggest thrill: getting to whack off a few feet of> healthy, shiny hair.> Oh well. Tell your friend that it will grow back in> time.Im my opionon it was this stylist who got the big thrill! Ive heard of alot of these horror stories form my clients who go in for a couple of inches and end up with nothing left. Yes there are sizzor happy and jeloous stylist out there. They give us all a bad name! No wounder people are terrified to get there hair cut! Just remember just like anything else dont let the bad apple spoil the whole bushel! There are stylist who care and love hair you just need to find them. The other person was also write (sorry I forgot your name) you can walk or leave at anytime. Your the customer you pay our bills dont be afriad to get up and walk out!Or get your money back whatever it takes.Thanks for reading,and Good Luck,Diane K.
H.Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> Maybe it WAS dry and needed to be cut....this is> exactly my point: most women with long hair do have> hair that is too damaged to look good, so maybe it DID> need a good cutting.The majority of my friends are from Indian or Middle Eastern backgrounds, and I have to say that I have never seen any of them have visibly damaged hair -- seriously! And have you ever seen a pic of Dave's hair? It's gorgeous! The man knows what he's talking about, if only from his own experience!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
Thanks for your kind words, H.Taylor. I have learned a lot abouthair care since I started growing mine long, and have learned evenmore since I began visiting and participating in the Hair Boutique'sHair Talk.As for Sammy's suggestion that the lady's hair might have been dry anddamaged... it just was not the case. Her hair was what I would thinkanyone would consider "perfect" hair (perfect in the sense of itshealth and condition). Whether or not she looks better with shorterhair is a subjective issue, but my original point was that her requestto receive a small trim -- to her extremely healthy hair -- was not honoredby the stylist.Dave
David M Squires
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic