Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair & False Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kim, a Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair & False Impressions
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone out there had any particularly glaring examples of people judging them by their hair styles. For example, back in college some people couldn't accept I was a feminist because I had long hair. Maybe they thought I was a slave to fashion, or trying to please men or something; actually I just like long hair. Has anyone else had similar experiences being judged by your cut, length, or colour of hair? Just curious.Kim
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
> Hi there. I was wondering if anyone out there had any> particularly glaring examples of people judging them> by their hair styles. For example, back in college> some people couldn't accept I was a feminist because I> had long hair. Maybe they thought I was a slave to> fashion, or trying to please men or something;> actually I just like long hair. Has anyone else had> similar experiences being judged by your cut, length,> or colour of hair? Just curious.> KimVery good topic Kim. I could easiy write a book about this lol.i grew up on a farm so I learned at an very early age how to drive tractors, dump trucks etc but I am very feminine . Today I have two trades. I am a professional glass cutter and I am also a professional furniture refinisher and an instructor and consultant in the field. I worked very hard for that knowledge but at times I am not taken seriously because of my looks. I feel I am battling men to prove myself all the time until they know me because of the long hair, the feminine ways etc. I am often used by manufacturers to teach dealers how to repair windows etc but I will always remember what a manufacturer manager said to me. He said" I am happy that we have an attractive woman showing these male dealers how to do things because it will give the message if this woman can do this so can I.Boy was I mad!!!I always answer. Do I have to look like an ugly bat or huge as a house to be taken seriously.But you know what? Now they tease me now and say that I am a brain surgeon on the side because I can do anything.I love my long hair and I love the whole package of being feminine but at the same time I hate feeling helpless so I learn how to do things.Especially now I am a single mom I have to learn to fix my own car etc. Like I need a floor for my kitchen so I am going to find out how to do it. I bet I shock the men around me.I can go on and on about this but I better stop before it gets to be a novel.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
Hi, Kim!Welcome to Hair Boutique and Hair Politics! I hope that you will visit often and feel comfortable in voicing your opinions.I liked the question very much. I think so many of the questions posted here have your question in one form or another.It's interesting that people thought erroneously that your long hair indicated anti-feminism. I guess some people think that you have to look like a cropped female to be feminist. Simply ridiculous!I could write a pile here about your question, but I'll just drop a few notes.One of the false impressions that I've gotten with longer hair is that people sometimes think I'm radical in some way.I guess this notion is a throwback to the 1960's when America's youth started growing their locks as rebellion. Together with this, I think what may have reinforced the notion was that I have known and do know a ton of musicians, mostly hard rock and alternative bands. Basically, I would say that I am fairly liberal on social issues and conservative when it comes to finances. I used to manage a rock band, and sometimes the club managers would be shocked when I opened my mouth about the band's percentages, contracts and the like. I used to say to myself that some of these folks make some wild assumptions just because a person has long hair. You can definitely have long hair, wear jeans and leather, be a child of God and have good brain to get you through life. Oh, yea, and believe in equality between the sexes:)With the rock band, it was kind of funny with some of the musicians. I'll never forget showing up to apply for the job. I knew one of the band members and he recommended that I apply because he said I could make the band some money and earn some money of my own. I remember saying that I wasn't into the drugs, drinking and wild partying, but only the music and some semblance of fairness, especially when it came to money, for musicians. They thought that was good and they liked the hair, too. The hair and the music were about all we had in common upon meeting:) Unlike the general population, I was always curious that somehow these musicians saw past the long hair and it was definitely not an open ticket to manage.Bye for now,Jade21Hi there. I was wondering if anyone out there had any> particularly glaring examples of people judging them> by their hair styles. For example, back in college> some people couldn't accept I was a feminist because I> had long hair. Maybe they thought I was a slave to> fashion, or trying to please men or something;> actually I just like long hair. Has anyone else had> similar experiences being judged by your cut, length,> or colour of hair? Just curious.> Kim
Cindie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Hi there. I was wondering if anyone out there had any> particularly glaring examples of people judging them> by their hair styles. For example, back in college> some people couldn't accept I was a feminist because I> had long hair. Maybe they thought I was a slave to> fashion, or trying to please men or something;> actually I just like long hair. Has anyone else had> similar experiences being judged by your cut, length,> or colour of hair? Just curious.> KimHi Kim and everyone else,I must say that I have unfortunately had some experience in this area. It seems as if a lot of people have preconceived notions as to what type of hairstyle you are "supposed" to have.I have long blonde hair (Claudia Schiffer-ish on my BEST hair day!) and am in my late 20's. I don't dress provocatively or wear tons of makeup. However, I find that many people automatically assume I'm IQ-challenged...a "dumb" blonde. It's amusing to see the looks of surprise when they hear that I just received a master's degree.Also, I live in a fairly conservative area of my city. The PTA group at my son's school seems to have an unwritten rule that all "acceptable" mothers wear their hair in some sort of bob or pixie style. All of us mothers who look like we actually spend time doing our hair are banished from the "in" crowd! LOLCindie
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Cindie,Ii don't have kids but I understand about being left out of things.I have longe blonde hair too, down to my derriere, and although I always get wonderful compliments on it, from both men and women, there has also been that feeling of not being included with the more-I'm just going to say it-dowdy types. I personally think it's because they are either jealous or threatened or both. Right now I'm living in France, but this would happen a lot from the small town I was from back in America.Also, very occasionally I would have someone say that they don't want long hair because it's too much to take care of which to me is a dig towards me-but also a very obviously envious remark. Since I know how jealous women can get, I don't pay any mind and just take as a compliment just as i do the outright compliments.Keep on keeping that long hair, and don't let anyone sway you otherwise!By the way, if you think women are "excluding" where you're at, try living in France! :)) It's twenty times worse over here, because the women are even more that way-even the ones who have long hair. My Husband says that they are not very confident in themselves, and it shows. Of course, with the way the men are over here, maybe I can see why! L.O.L.Holly
Kim, a Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, a Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Hi Cindie. Although I happen to have brown hair, I must admit it burns me up when I hear people making jokes about "dumb blondes." For one thing, it is (quite rightly) unacceptable in most circles to stereotype people based on skin colour, so why is it all right to stereotype based on hair colour? "Dumb blonde" jokes are also very sexist; maybe there are some directed at blond men, but I sure haven't heard any.Congratulations on getting your Master's, by the way (I'm working on mine, too!). ---KimHi Kim and everyone else,> I must say that I have unfortunately had some> experience in this area. It seems as if a lot of> people have preconceived notions as to what type of> hairstyle you are "supposed" to have.> I have long blonde hair (Claudia Schiffer-ish on my> BEST hair day!) and am in my late 20's. I don't dress> provocatively or wear tons of makeup. However, I find> that many people automatically assume I'm> IQ-challenged...a "dumb" blonde. It's> amusing to see the looks of surprise when they hear> that I just received a master's degree.> Also, I live in a fairly conservative area of my city.> The PTA group at my son's school seems to have an> unwritten rule that all "acceptable" mothers> wear their hair in some sort of bob or pixie style.> All of us mothers who look like we actually spend time> doing our hair are banished from the "in"> crowd! LOL> Cindie
Zorak the Frisbee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak the Frisbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> it is (quite rightly) unacceptable in most circles to> stereotype people based on skin colour, so why is it> all right to stereotype based on hair colour?.......> maybe there are some directed at blond men, but I sure> haven't heard any.No, for men it is more of the "bald jokes", or "thinning hair jokes", etc.Since many studies have shown that balding men have a harder time getting promoted, etc, I wonder when the federal government will make balding men a "protected catagory" under the civil rights laws, who can then sue for discriminaion just like people of color or women?Just because a man is "folicularly challenged" doesn't mean that he should be discriminated against.Z.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic