Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Too old?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too old?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:55pm
I recently bought some tiny red plastic hairclips and experimented with twisting sections of hair around my face and using the clips to secure them. I was really happy with the result, and since I'm growing my bangs out, it seemed like a great solution--until my sister saw my new do and said I was too old for such a "Jr. High school" look. I'm approaching 35. Is my sister right? Is this look too "cute" for someone my age?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Hi, Lily!I found this kind of hard to answer because I am not a fan of those plastic barettes. The important thing, I think, is how they work for you and how you think they look.I live near the Washington, DC area and have seen a ton of working women using the smaller barettes. I have not liked most of them because most were using them to hold down too little hair. Also, my major problem was that they honestly looked CHEAP. There's a difference between a real hair accessory and junky hair jewelry. In addition, when it comes to hair accessories, just like jewelry for other parts of the body, the best rule of thumb is that less is more, especially if you want a finished, elegant look. Some of these women sport too many, brightly colored things which takes away from what I think they want to accomplish.Bye for now,Jade21I recently bought some tiny red plastic hairclips and> experimented with twisting sections of hair around my> face and using the clips to secure them. I was really> happy with the result, and since I'm growing my bangs> out, it seemed like a great solution--until my sister> saw my new do and said I was too old for such a> "Jr. High school" look. I'm approaching 35.> Is my sister right? Is this look too "cute"> for someone my age?
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Hi, Lily!> I found this kind of hard to answer because I am not a> fan of those plastic barettes. The important thing, I> think, is how they work for you and how you think they> look.> I live near the Washington, DC area and have seen a> ton of working women using the smaller barettes. I> have not liked most of them because most were using> them to hold down too little hair. Also, my major> problem was that they honestly looked CHEAP. There's a> difference between a real hair accessory and junky> hair jewelry. In addition, when it comes to hair> accessories, just like jewelry for other parts of the> body, the best rule of thumb is that less is more,> especially if you want a finished, elegant look. Some> of these women sport too many, brightly colored things> which takes away from what I think they want to> accomplish.> Bye for now,> Jade21> I recently bought some tiny red plastic hairclips and
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
Lily--I'm a little late in answering this, so I hope you still see it and read it. I'm 24, and I recently tried out the little butterfly clips in a row across my crown. (You twist about six sections at the hairline and then hold them in place with the glittery butterflies, creating a crown effect.)I also wondered if I was too old to carry off this look.This is what my friends and I decided: It's great with jeans or a casual skirt, but not with anything dressier than that. (I put them on par with cotton scrunchies, baby barrettes, and plastic banana clips.)As Jade points out, they have a little-girl, dimestore look. With suits and dresses, they look all wrong. That's when people look like they're dressing "too young," because the style looks immature set against a nice outfit. Think of hair clips like jewelry: If you wouldn't wear plastic jewelry with the outfit, don't wear plastic hair clips.If you dig the look of your hair in them, however, you can get the same effect using bobby pins. A lot of celebs are doing that.Ally
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:56pm
> Lily--> I'm a little late in answering this, so I hope you> still see it and read it. I'm 24, and I recently tried> out the little butterfly clips in a row across my> crown. (You twist about six sections at the hairline> and then hold them in place with the glittery> butterflies, creating a crown effect.)> I also wondered if I was too old to carry off this> look.> This is what my friends and I decided: It's great with> jeans or a casual skirt, but not with anything> dressier than that. (I put them on par with cotton> scrunchies, baby barrettes, and plastic banana clips.)> As Jade points out, they have a little-girl, dimestore> look. With suits and dresses, they look all wrong.> That's when people look like they're dressing> "too young," because the style looks> immature set against a nice outfit. Think of hair> clips like jewelry: If you wouldn't wear plastic> jewelry with the outfit, don't wear plastic hair> clips.> If you dig the look of your hair in them, however, you> can get the same effect using bobby pins. A lot of> celebs are doing that.> Ally
Lily View Drop Down

Sorry This posted twice! Thanks Jade and Ally, for your responses. I agree that plastic hair accesssories look frivolous for work and business. I was talking about wearing them just for kicking around bookstores, going to a matinees on Saturdays, or something equally casual. Hope I'm not too old for that! Ally's tip about using hairpins to secure the twists is great. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic