Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Polite, Creative Answers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polite, Creative Answers?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:57pm
Hi all!How do you effectively answer when people come up to you and make comments asking about if you're going to do something specific or different about your hair. Okay, that sounded kind of confusing. Here's a couple examples:So what are you going to do about those bangs you're growing out?Aren't you going to grow all of your layers out before you let your hair get longer?Why isn't your hair blunt cut?Oh, I don't think long hair looks good on your fine hair at all!People don't mean to sound like idiots or to be rude, but often do come across that way. And occasionally, you will meet the rare one that is trying to be rude. I've had good and not so good answers in the past.How would you answer?I personally think that anyone who wants to wear their hair long, whether it be in layers, or with or without bangs, no matter what the hair texture, should be able to wear it long. Blunt or tapered, or any which way, each type and color and substance of long hair has it's own beauty with the extreme exceptions (of things like severely damaged or split hair of course).Any suggestions, dear readers?All my best!Valentine :o)
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> How do you effectively answer when people come up to> you and make comments asking about if you're going to> do something specific or different about your hair.Here are a few answers which are polite yet get the point across that their comments or suggestions are not particularly appreciated!"I didn't realize you are so interested in my hair. Thanks for the suggestion" (even if you hated it)"Why do you want (or need) to know?" (I love this Ann Landers answer because it then puts them on the spot when they tried to put you on the spot!)"I'll certainly consider that, thank you" (again, even if you hate the suggestion, how can a person keep arguing that you should do something if you say that!?!)I've been experiencing something a bit different. I recently cut my long hair short (and do NOT like the results), but the problem is that it's a rather drastic change, and it's hard for me to deal with the comments. I don't mind an occasional comment discreetly said to me, but I've had people say, in front of a large group of people, "OH my GOD! You cut your hair!!" Considering that I'm not exactly thrilled with the results (which is putting it mildly), I just want to sink into the ground. It's *rude* to draw attention like that. Can you imagine someone saying, "Oh my GOD, you've gained weight!"And what's worse is when people ask, "Do you like it?" I just reverse the question and say, "Do *you* like it?" Kind of rude, but no less rude than the question they asked me!I think it's fine for friends to ask questions or make comments on our appearances (whether it be hair or clothing or make-up) but when acquaintances or strangers do it, it is quite impolite.
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
Hi Jena,Thanks for the helpful responses. :o) I agree how amazing it is that people say things about hair that they wouldn't apply to other areas of physical appearance, like weight. Your suggestions were excellent. Thank you.I am sorry to hear about your less than successful hair appointment. I hope that you will be able to get the results you desire soon, and that folks will consider their words more before just blurting out the obvious to you!Have a great weekend!Valentine :o)
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> I agree how> amazing it is that people say things about hair that> they wouldn't apply to other areas of physical> appearance, like weight.Actually, the same thing often happens to pregnant women. Although I've never experienced it, some of my friends have said that complete strangers will come up to them and give them all kinds of unsolicited advice and ask how much weight they've gained and if they're planning on natural childbirth and other similar things! Gee, how rude.> I am sorry to hear about your less than successful> hair appointment.Uh, well, long story, but I cut my own hair on a very bad night and just cut it way too short. The stylist refined it the next day, and honestly did a good job with what he had to work with. It really isn't terrible, but I just feel lost without my longer hair. I have to sheepishly admit that I enjoy the feel of short hair but not the look.> I hope that you will be able to get> the results you desire soon,Oh I will! In two-and-a-half weeks I will put in hair extensions! Oh, the price of vanity. {grin}> and that folks will> consider their words more before just blurting out the> obvious to you!This still has me puzzled. I know the look is a drastic change for me, but I'm still amazed at how people don't really consider how I may feel before blurting out obvious statements like "You cut your hair!" Well, duh! {grin}> Have a great weekend!Well, thank you, and the same to you!
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:00pm
Sometimes people don't mean to come off as being an idiot or rude--they are probably just curious about your hair. Especially if your hair is really long. Best wishes!
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:47pm
Hair Politics rule.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:49pm
yup
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic