Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is short hair considered more professional?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is short hair considered more professional?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sabrina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is short hair considered more professional?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
I agree that cutesey barettes and pigtails don't really lend an ear of professionalism to a woman, but if she wears her hair neat and pulled back slightly, why is that not considered as professional as a short hair style? I'm not a long hair fanatic, but I wear long hair and like to see it on women in all walks of life.
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
Interesting question. I'm just finished my third year of med school and have brown hair about half-way down my back. One of my female professors actually pulled me aside and said if I were ever to be taken seriously, I would need to cut my hair. I asked how short, and she said at least shoulder length, but preferably shorter. I was astonished. My hair is always clean, neat, and tied back out of the way. Why on earth would a shorter style be more professional?I understand that not everyone can grow their hair long, but it seems to me that there are a lot of very jealous people out there with short hair. I think long hair can be professional. I'm just tired of short-haired people trying to make long-haired people feel guilty about what we have. I never belittle them or tell them I think they should grow their hair long!
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> Interesting question. I'm just finished my third year> of med school and have brown hair about half-way down> my back. One of my female professors actually pulled> me aside and said if I were ever to be taken> seriously, I would need to cut my hair. I asked how> short, and she said at least shoulder length, but> preferably shorter. I was astonished. My hair is> always clean, neat, and tied back out of the way. Why> on earth would a shorter style be more professional?> I understand that not everyone can grow their hair> long, but it seems to me that there are a lot of very> jealous people out there with short hair. I think long> hair can be professional. I'm just tired of> short-haired people trying to make long-haired people> feel guilty about what we have. I never belittle them> or tell them I think they should grow their hair long!-----I don't feel it is a jealousy issue. It probably is a society issue. When it was a "man's world" and women were trying to get into the business end, they tried to fit in which included cutting their hair to a short polished look (more man - like). While the times have changed (for the better) and more women are being given their fair chance - the style expectations have not. This is always the last item to change and to be accepted. Still many people will equate a professional, more serious attitude with a shorter polished look and a younger, less serious look with long hair. One option would be to wear it in a "bun-type" style - though personally, I think this style should be banned!G00D LUCK WITH YOUR CAREER.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> I agree that cutesey barettes and pigtails don't> really lend an ear of professionalism to a woman, but> if she wears her hair neat and pulled back slightly,> why is that not considered as professional as a short> hair style? I'm not a long hair fanatic, but I wear> long hair and like to see it on women in all walks of> life.Hello:You are certainly free to your own opinions about hair jewelry . Personally I believe in hair jewelry and it and my long hair never cause me any problems being professional or taken as a professional. I am a spoke person for an international company. I was in marketing that required me to travel very often to the USA and Canada. I am a consultant and an instructor in a specialized field. I never came across any client or company that told me that long hair is not professional . My clients were doctors etc if anything I can complain about and have done in another web site is that my long hair made me look so feminine that at times I had to prove that I was capable of doing what I claimed I could and often enough I am teased by companies that I am a brain surgeon on the side. But it might be more an issue that women are not suppose to know as much as men etc.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
Hi, Linda!I was interested to see that your med school professor would say something like this to you. Depending on the specialty, I have always thought that women who were practicing physicians had greater leeway than in others like say law or engineering.I went to college at Hopkins a few years ago and the med school and undergrad campuses were quite close with much interaction. I have to say that there were many females with longer hair than yours. The hairstyles were also quite creative. Apparently, these women did not think that they were experiencing hardships in their careers because of their hair or I am sure they would have done something about it. Many were practicing physicians and scientists, as well as professors.I agree with you that long hair can be professional. I also agree that tolerance between long- and short-haired people is best. In the end, I think that you should take what your professor said as her opinion and view it as such. It's up to you. Also, I think if I were in pain and needed medical attention, the last thing I would be worring about was how a physician wore his or her hair. Kinda crazy, eh?I don't know what type of specialty interests you. Sometimes, it is the setting of the particular practice of medicine which dictates things like hair. For instance, if your professor is a teacher only, her perspective might be different from a full-time dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon.All the best to you....Jade21Interesting question. I'm just finished my third year> of med school and have brown hair about half-way down> my back. One of my female professors actually pulled> me aside and said if I were ever to be taken> seriously, I would need to cut my hair. I asked how> short, and she said at least shoulder length, but> preferably shorter. I was astonished. My hair is> always clean, neat, and tied back out of the way. Why> on earth would a shorter style be more professional?> I understand that not everyone can grow their hair> long, but it seems to me that there are a lot of very> jealous people out there with short hair. I think long> hair can be professional. I'm just tired of> short-haired people trying to make long-haired people> feel guilty about what we have. I never belittle them> or tell them I think they should grow their hair long!
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
I think this notion was born in the 80s, when women were still finding their place corporate America. The movie "Working Girl" portrays it very well. The idea was that if you wanted to be respected like a man, you should look as unfeminine as possible.While this is no longer the case, some conventions remain. Long hair, flamboyant jewelry, frilly clothing, and bright make-up are considered unprofessional because they are "sexy." A businesswoman is not supposed to care about appearing sexy; she's supposed to care about her work. (Nor does she want to unwittingly broadcast "invitations" to sexist pigs in the office!) A very feminine look can make a woman appear frivolous to those still stuck in the 80s. "How can she be serious and competent if she's also vain?" Above-the-shoulder hair became de rigeur for the successful corporate climber, who must look as though she's too busy to primp.Because these stereotypes have held up for so long, a woman with waist-length hair may look out of place in a business suit--the same way a woman with a pixie cut looks out of place in an Elizabethan gown.Fortunately for everyone, I think these ill-gotten conceptions of professionalism are dying out....Ally
Diane k. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane k. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
> -----> I don't feel it is a jealousy issue. It probably is a> society issue. When it was a "man's world"> and women were trying to get into the business end,> they tried to fit in which included cutting their hair> to a short polished look (more man - like). While the> times have changed (for the better) and more women are> being given their fair chance - the style expectations> have not. This is always the last item to change and> to be accepted. Still many people will equate a> professional, more serious attitude with a shorter> polished look and a younger, less serious look with> long hair. One option would be to wear it in a> "bun-type" style - though personally, I> think this style should be banned!> G00D LUCK WITH YOUR CAREER.Hello,This is an intereting subject. If I could Id like to ask men how they feel adout cutting there hair short for a job. It brings to mind a very handsom young man that came into the salon that I worked at. Ill never forget him. It was my first year as a hairstylist and I was amazed at his emotion.( I felt his pain also.) He had hair laying just past his shoulders and layerd all over. His boss sent him out and told him if he wanted to keep his job he had to cut it.( I remmber seing him standing outside the salon pasing back and forth.)He did have me cut it but the poor guy was near tears. I cut it slow alittle had him check then took a little more. He told me about the situation and looked to me like he was trying to deside if it was worth it to him. I told him if he needed more taken off (because of an unhappy boss.) to plesase come back and I would cut more no charge. I really felt terrible for this guy. Here he went to school and got an education and seemed to have it all and because his hair was a little long he had to sacrafice something that was vey personal and inportant to him. He was still the same well educated person with or without the hair!I saw him leave an could swear he was crying. Not just because he had to cut his hair but because his values and opinion of himself was shacken so deeply.Its a crazy world we live in thats for sure! What are your thoughts guys?Happy Healthy hair!Diane K
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
Hi Diane K,I will attest to the existence of pressure on men to cut their hairshort for a job. Although I am presently employed in a professionalcapacity at a Fortune 50 company, and have been at my current job forseveral years, I received pressure from several family members andfrom corporate recruiters to cut my hair short several years ago whenI sought out my present job.I know that this is not directly in line with your question, but whenI was in high school I was told by the track team coach to cut my hairif I wanted to even be on the team. At the time I resigned myself tocutting my hair short and cut it several times until it satisfied thecoach's preferences. Odd, that the year before (different school) Ihad established several school records for fastest times (1/4 mile anda relay) but wore my hair long that year. My long hair flying in thebreeze as I ran certainly didn't seem to slow me down! :-)Thanks for asking Diane.Dave
David M Squires
Lauren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:58pm
I think the legnth of hair, and it's style can tell alot about a person. For instance, maybe long hair denotes patience, depending on how it is kept up, and maybe short hair neatly done, denotes perkiness.personally I have long hair well kept up, and somestimes i do agree that there is a jealously factor involved. But hey if you got, why not flaunt, did short haired people ever think that some long haired people can't have short hair because it puffs out? or maybe long haired people are afraid of change.Think of Jennifer Anniston, she's always had beautiful hair, both long and short, have her oportunities changed since her legnths have changed?
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:59pm
> This is an intereting subject. If I could Id like to> ask men how they feel adout cutting there hair short> for a job.Doesn't it depend on how badly you want the job? If it is your "dream job", then you might be more willing to cut your hair if that is a condition of the job.> It brings to mind a very handsom young man> that came into the salon that I worked at. Ill never> forget him...I was amazed at his emotion.( I felt his> pain also.) He had hair laying just past his shoulders> and layerd all over. His boss sent him out and told him> if he wanted to keep his job he had to cut it.Well, there it is. IF he wanted the job, he needed to cut his hair. He had a choice. He wanted the job more than he wanted the long hair. Choice made.> He did have me cut it but the poor guy was near tears.Well...what does one say to this. I guess that I feel a little sorry for this guy, but then I feel like telling him to cut the sobbing, there are lots of good jobs available in the world that don't require a haircut. Besides, when he quits this job, his hair will grow back in less than a year.> Here he went to school and got an education and> seemed to have it all and because his hair was a> little long he had to sacrafice something that was vey> personal and inportant to him.Life is a trade-off. He made his choice.> He was still the same well educated person with or> without the hair!Agreed. But obviously for that particular job the education was a necessary but not sufficent condition for employment.> I saw him leave and could swear he was crying.Well, I hope that he got over it quickly.> Not just because he had to cut his hair but because> his values and opinion of himself was shacken so deeply.Doubtful. If he was so deeply opposed to cutting his hair, he would have just quit the job in question and found another.Employment can be a bummer in this respect. When I got my last job I had to take a drug test. I don't use illegal drugs at all, but I think that drug tests are somewhat de-humanizing when administered for no reasonable suspicion.But, it was a condition of employment. I wanted the job because it was a dream job. I thought about it, and decided that any "detriment" to my character was more than balanced by the great paycheck and working assignments that I would get. Choice made.> Its a crazy world we live in thats for sure! What are> your thoughts guys?The world is crazy....YES. I agree.> Happy Healthy hair!You too Diane!Z.
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:00pm
Granted, I work with some first-class idiots that make me feel this way...but here's my view. Long hair typically means being "feminine." So by saying long hair does not look professional, what it really means is being a female or having feminine qualities is not professional. I think it is discrimatory!> I agree that cutesey barettes and pigtails don't> really lend an ear of professionalism to a woman, but> if she wears her hair neat and pulled back slightly,> why is that not considered as professional as a short> hair style? I'm not a long hair fanatic, but I wear> long hair and like to see it on women in all walks of> life.
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I agree that cutesey barettes and pigtails don't> really lend an ear of professionalism to a woman, but> if she wears her hair neat and pulled back slightly,> why is that not considered as professional as a short> hair style? I'm not a long hair fanatic, but I wear> long hair and like to see it on women in all walks of> life.I am in charge of hiring for our law firm. Before becoming an attorney, I owned an investigation business. I have never hired a short-haired woman, and never will. The personality that seems to accompany short hair is not what I desire in my working environment. I like feminine women, and since I am writing the paychecks, that is what I am going to have.DAVID
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I am in charge of hiring for our law firm. Before> becoming an attorney, I owned an investigation> business. I have never hired a short-haired woman, and> never will. The personality that seems to accompany> short hair is not what I desire in my working> environment. I like feminine women, and since I am> writing the paychecks, that is what I am going to> have.> DAVIDhow many long hair women do you have in your firm?
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:06pm
> how many long hair women do you have in your firm?Five, including a managing attorney and a bookkeeper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic