Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Home haircuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny Hammond View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Hammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home haircuts
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
I've had long hair all my life which has now waist length. I have wanted to cut it short for sometime now.I pass by hairdressers and am too scared to go inside. My friends say I should cut it myself because if I mess it up I will have no choice but to to walk inside.I came so close to cutting it last night with a pair of kitchen scissors - but the phone rang and after I hung up I lost the courage.Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so I would appreciate you telling me what you did.Jen
Jenny Hammond View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny Hammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I've had long hair all my life which has now waist> length. I have wanted to cut it short for sometime> now.> I pass by hairdressers and am too scared to go inside.> My friends say I should cut it myself because if I> mess it up I will have no choice but to to walk> inside.> I came so close to cutting it last night with a pair> of kitchen scissors - but the phone rang and after I> hung up I lost the courage.> Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so I> would appreciate you telling me what you did.> Jen
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:05pm
If you really think you want short hair, here's what I'd do. First of all, shop around for a stylist that whose personality and work you admire. How to do this? Go in for a consultation only -- ask for suggestions but don't let them cut!When you find one you like, start out by allowing them to cutting 3". That way, if you change your mind, it isn't a huge loss of hair for someone with your length. Also, it will help you get used to it more gradually.If you're comfortable with that, then go another 3 inches.I would NOT cut it at home. I've done that, and it was a nightmare.
Sharron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:05pm
I too don't like going to hairdressers and because of this I always cut my own hair. When you cut it yourself you can do it how you want it and when you want it. I suggest you get a proper kit though with guides and video. I bought one and it's quite easy if you take your time.Just be careful not to get too carried away unless your are certain a real short cut is what you want.I hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide.Sharron
Shazz
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:05pm
> I've had long hair all my life which has now waist> length. I have wanted to cut it short for sometime> now.> I pass by hairdressers and am too scared to go inside.> My friends say I should cut it myself because if I> mess it up I will have no choice but to to walk> inside.> I came so close to cutting it last night with a pair> of kitchen scissors - but the phone rang and after I> hung up I lost the courage.> Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so I> would appreciate you telling me what you did.Well, my experience was not exactly like this, but....A "stylist" messed up my wife's hair a few months ago: too many layers and it looked pretty aweful. She waited until it had grown out some, then let me trim it. She liked the results, so I bought a video and started cutting it. Actually, it is pretty easy to do if you don't try to get fancy....just stick to simple blunt cuts and minor variations, etc.In your case, why not let a very trusted friend of boyfriend do it, just keep it simple: a blunt cut should not be hard for anyone but the klutziest of people.Zorak (the one and only!)> Jen
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:05pm
> I've had long hair all my life which has now waist> length. I have wanted to cut it short for sometime> now.> I pass by hairdressers and am too scared to go inside.> My friends say I should cut it myself because if I> mess it up I will have no choice but to to walk> inside.> I came so close to cutting it last night with a pair> of kitchen scissors - but the phone rang and after I> hung up I lost the courage.> Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so I> would appreciate you telling me what you did.> JenPlease do yourself a favor and go to a good stylist. ASk people, neighbors where they go. Stay away from those fast cheap outlets. It is worth spending the money and having it done correctly. They are the experts.yes I did that once cut my own hair when I around 15. It was a disaster and I ended up with shorter hair.
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Maybe you shouldn't cut your own hair. It sounds like you don't have any experience. One of the most important parts of cutting hair is the use of good scissors, not just a pair you find in the kitchen! Using scissors that aren't extremely sharp will lead to split ends and breakage.I've been cutting my mother's, sister's, friends', and my own hair for years now. I started cutting my own hair because I don't trust anyone else to cut it (I keep it long, so all I do is trim it). How much are you talking about cutting it? With long hair, its easy to cut your own hair. All I have to do is even my hair up in the back then pull it forward under my arm to cut it. But when it gets to be mid-back or shorter, then you can't reach it as easily.I would recommend going to a stylists, or finding a friend who has a lot of experience cutting hair. Good luck.> I've had long hair all my life which has now waist> length. I have wanted to cut it short for sometime> now.> I pass by hairdressers and am too scared to go inside.> My friends say I should cut it myself because if I> mess it up I will have no choice but to to walk> inside.> I came so close to cutting it last night with a pair> of kitchen scissors - but the phone rang and after I> hung up I lost the courage.> Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so I> would appreciate you telling me what you did.> Jen
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
This is a little off the subject for this board, but what the heck--Can you walk me through instructions for my husband? He is going to trim my ends (my hair is about four inches short of waist length) with some sharp hair cutting shears I just bought. I just wondered if there are any tips for doing it and getting it even. He's a little nervous.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
Dear Gigi,I know that your husband must be just a tad nervous since this is his first time trimming your hair. Tell him that I was 9 when my mom first asked me to give her a trim and I was extremely nervous, but mom walked me through it like a champ. She used to always trim my ends and always did a wonderful job. She had an eagle eye for those splits:)The first rule is tread slowly and take a little bit at a time. I don't know how much you want taken for the trim, but go in small increments. Don't be in a rush. Have him trim when you both have some time.The other rule pertains to the general cut of your hair. If your hair is approximately the same length, this is the easiest. You can start where you like. Some people section out the hair, then take the whole to see if even. Personally, I think it is easier to look at the whole, trim, then check to see if even.If not, start with the shorter pieces of hair, then to the longer ones. For example, if there are strands around your face which are shorter than the back, start with these. Your husband can look at the mirror images of your face for alignment. Trim a little, stand back from the front of you, and check to see if even.Some stylists may not agree with my last comment, but have him trim the ends when your hair is dry.Hope this helps...Jade21This is a little off the subject for this board, but> what the heck--Can you walk me through instructions> for my husband? He is going to trim my ends (my hair> is about four inches short of waist length) with some> sharp hair cutting shears I just bought. I just> wondered if there are any tips for doing it and> getting it even. He's a little nervous.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
> This is a little off the subject for this board, but> what the heck--Can you walk me through instructions> for my husband? He is going to trim my ends (my hair> is about four inches short of waist length) with some> sharp hair cutting shears I just bought. I just> wondered if there are any tips for doing it and> getting it even. He's a little nervous.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
> This is a little off the subject for this board, but> what the heck--Can you walk me through instructions> for my husband? He is going to trim my ends (my hair> is about four inches short of waist length) with some> sharp hair cutting shears I just bought. I just> wondered if there are any tips for doing it and> getting it even. He's a little nervous.I have been away on business for the last few days, so I am sorry this is so tardy....BTW, I am NOT a professional stylist, just an amateur that is getting better with practice!Remember the first rule of "precision haircutting": you need to have precise sectioning to get the cut to come out right. This is the first thing that the video I have teaches: sections can be large or small, depending on the thickness of the hair, but make sure that the sections are precise.After that, hey: a blunt-length haircut is pretty easy to do, just tell hubby not to be nervous, and hold the shears straight and level. Make sure that the first section he cuts is straight, and after that just follow the section underneath to get a good straight line.Note again: this is NOT the advice of a professional stylist, just what I have learned from a video and by cutting my wife's hair. BTW, she has lately gotten many kind complements on her hair, but I was just embarrased to death that she confided in her sister and a few friends that I did the cut! My sister-in-law wants me to do her hair now....Z.
Waveman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:09pm
First, (and perhaps MOST IMPORTANT) cut LESS than you ultimately want cut -- particularly if it's his first time -- you can always cut more, but glueing it back on doesn't work so well !!! If you want to cut an inch, say, start with a half inch. Cutting less gives room for evening-up without ending up shorter than you wanted. Second, (and I'm assuming a blunt cut of the length) start in the middle of the back and trim across to one side. Then "step-back" and start again at the middle and cut the other way -- "stepping back" periodically to "match-up" with the side you cut first. Oh, and I think this should all be done with the hair well dampened (not soaking wet -- a spray bottle for water helps to control the amount of moisture !!!). If your hair has any wave in it at all, then wetting it helps pull it down for an even cut. Then when it drys (and pulls back up), any slight imperfections are hidden. This works for me and I've been cutting my wife's hair for 12 years -- when it was shoulder-length and now that it is nearly waist-length.> This is a little off the subject for this board, but> what the heck--Can you walk me through instructions> for my husband? He is going to trim my ends (my hair> is about four inches short of waist length) with some> sharp hair cutting shears I just bought. I just> wondered if there are any tips for doing it and> getting it even. He's a little nervous.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic