Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another Lawsuit Situation!! I need some advice soon!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Lawsuit Situation!! I need some advice soon!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sherry1 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Lawsuit Situation!! I need some advice soon!!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:47pm
Hello, I have situation that I would like to get some advice on for a friend of mine. I have been thinking about getting a perm myself. I have never had a perm before, but curling your hair can be so time consuming. However, a situation with a friend of mine is making me think twice about going to a good salon to get my hair permed. My friend went to a very reputable salon late last week to get a perm. Before she had her hair permed she had a consultation with a stylist at the salon. She had also brought several pictures of different permed styles that she liked. Both her and the stylist agreed upon a permed style. The perm turned out terrible. In my opinion it ruined her hair. The perm is much curlier than she wanted it to be. Also, her hair which use to be soft and silky is now hard and brittle. The salon refused to refund her money. My friend is not lawsuit happy, she is very apprehensive about filing a suit. I have heard that the main reason for a bad perm is that the stylist does not take the proper time to wash out the perm solution. What do you think she should do? I would love to get a perm myself, but this has definitely made me think twice.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
> First, contact your local better business bureau. The better business bureau will be listed in the local telephone directory. This will start a monitored dialogue with the salon. Remember, it is difficult to assess the value of hair, and your friend will live with the consequences no matter what. I would not expect a large monetary award, but an apology and offer to redo the perm would defintely be in order. If unsuccessful in dealing with the salon, file a complaint with the better business bureau. When someone call the bureau, they will tell the potential client how many unresolved complaints the business has against it. At least, your friend may spare another client her agony. It is always smart to check out any business before using their services.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:48pm
Sherry,Your friend first needs to appeal to the salon owner/manager. She needs to bring the pictures she showed the stylist, and she needs to come in with her hair freshly washed and unstyled so the owner can look at the results. In my own experience, an owner once admitted that her employee butchered my bangs. She took money off my next coloring service.If your friend gets no satisfaction from "going up the chain," she can sue in small claims court for the price of the perm plus expenses (time off work, special conditioners to repair it, etc.) She should have you take pictures. Most importantly, she should go for a consultation at another salon and get another /experienced hairdresser/ to examine her hair. If possible, she should get an opinion from more than one person. These people's testimony or statements will make all the difference in the world. If two or three other professionals say her hair was damaged unnecessarily, then her hair was damaged unnecessarily.Arguing a case like this is time-consuming, but your friend may get tremendous emotional gratification from doing it. Also, the salon may very well agree to "settle" when they get the "summons."One more consideration: You both have to be realistic. Perms use very strong chemicals, and they /do/ tend to change the feel of the hair. The photos you see in magazines are very rarely just of permed hair that was allowed to air dry. In fact, perms are "out" right now, so I wonder if the pictures your friend liked were even /of/ permed hair. Most curly looks now are done with curling irons or pin-curl sets.Ally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic