Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

female hair and the military

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: female hair and the military
    Posted: September 24 2000 at 8:52am
I recently read on another board a post by a woman
who had joined the army and was forced by them to
have her waist length hair cut off with the clippers so
that it was only an inch long on top and half an inch at
the sides.

I thought this only happened to men. Does anyone
know what the military regulations are for women's hair
or have personal experience of this sort of thing?
COUNT DOWN TO WEDDING
7 wks left
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2000 at 1:36pm
Well I am no expert but I think that girls are made to cut their hair very short for their initial basic training. After that I believe that they are allowed to have hair to just above the collar in length. Guys on the other hand do not have that choice. Why is that? I ask because I sense that there is a double standard there just like in society. I am a guy that like to break from stereotypes. I have my hair cut in a bob below my ears with bangs. I love the style with its versatility and movement.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2000 at 7:41pm
I don't know which army the article referred to, but it can't surely be the U.S. or British ones. I believe their rules are for "short but functional", ie collar length.

However I do recall a tv documentary about the Australian army where the girls were given butch "wedge" cuts, and as I recall they quite liked it as it suited their tough image, but maybe that's Aussies for you! :-)

phil
Celeste649 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celeste649 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2000 at 11:00pm
The long term requirement is hair off the collar and neat for women. I work with a young female 2nd Lt with waist length hair. It is the same for enlisted and officers.

Celeste
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2000 at 1:06am
Hello, Amanda.

I grew up in a military household, and unless things have changed drasically lately, you don't have to have your hair cut quite that short. All the U.S. services (except the Air Force) require a shoulder/collar length cut during basic training. After that you are allowed to grow your hair as long as you wish with the only stipulation being that you have to pin it all up above your collar and fit your hat normally when you are in uniform.

I suppose there could be some special forces groups with more particular requirements.

Teresa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic