Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banana clips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Erica500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banana clips
    Posted: July 24 2002 at 5:43pm
Anyone here still wear banana clips? I like wearing them.
JDP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2002 at 5:29pm
Surely dianefromcanada would like to answer this one on behalf of her Mother`s dog`s co-workers employers psychiatrist.
ladystardust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladystardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2002 at 12:14pm
Actually, I never liked wearing them, my mom made me wear one once and I hated it-and even then, she could barely get the thing closed because I had too much hair!

I remember reading about them in 1986, and it did mention something practical-they ARE good for hair that is growing out.

With all the 80`s revival stuff about, I wouldn`t be shocked if these came back. While my hair might not be as long now, no doubt there still is probably too much of it for one of them banana clips!

I never liked those nasty clippy things that looked like hairdressers clips either. EEK!

But I still have a vintage hotpink/orange pyramid shaped hair holder from the time :)

Erin
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2002 at 4:48pm
I was thinking about your banana clips the other day when I was helping this beautiful Russian woman in the office. She was using one and it look great on her.
dianefromcanada
Some Dude View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Some Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2002 at 8:29pm
Oh, Diane, I was wondering how long it would take you to join this thread...
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 12:36am

YOu seem to say a bit of everything and can`t be true some dude. I wonder why you can`t seem to register hum hum...........
dianefromcanada
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2003 at 8:36pm
Girl friend!! Throw that banana clip out really fast!!!
Nothing screams "I`m afraid of change" more than a banana clip!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Carolyn Gerard View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolyn Gerard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:24am
Hi LiliBeach,

I read with interest you comment on banana clips. Does that include things like the Ficcarres? Aren't they the same? I have quite a few and would hate to dump them but I don't want to be outdated. Are they still acceptable to wear?
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:37am
wow.. I had no idea that banana clips were big in the 1980s, and I never had any clue about how to use one. The only time I've ever used banana clips were in a hair salon to move my hair from side to side, or to clip some of the back hair up.

That's probably why I don't like them - it looks too much like a salon look.. like running out of the house with hair curlers!
johnsonladies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsonladies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2003 at 3:32am
Does any one know where I can get Banana Clips? I am severely disabled and these are the best clips for my hair. In a banana clips my hair looks like a decending water fall. I have lots of hair and beretts will not work with my hair. HELP! anyone?
Loraine Johnson
email: johnsonladies@peoplepc.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2003 at 11:17am
Hi Loraine,

Search for "banana clips" using your favorite search engine. I'm sure you'll find some leads.
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:38pm
there are old.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 7:44pm
true
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 11:28am
It depends on what you wear them with. You could probably effect some kind of punk look with the right clothes.

I could never use them. My hair's too thick and tended to pop them open at the darndest times. I like using claw-style clips instead.
Sher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 4:09pm
I don't know...... I think they would be pretty good especially when growing out hair to longer length and you have that gosh aweful look that you look a mess with. You know to short to look long aND NOT LONG ENOUGH TO DO ANYTING WITH EXCEPT A SHORT PONYTAIL .I think the banana clip would tidy it up and make you think you look decent enough so you don't chop your hair again!!!!!!

The hair salon down the road from me sells the most beautiful clips that have crystals on them and look quite beautiful
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 7:31am
To Carolyn:

Ficcare clips are sometimes called banana clips, those are not out of style and are also called Concord clips (I prefer calling them Concord to avoid confusion). In the 80s there was another thing called a banana clip that looks like a wedge with a comb on each side facing inward, a hinge on the bottom, and it stuck together on top. Thats the clip this thread is about.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2004 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

To Carolyn:

Ficcare clips are sometimes called banana clips, those are not out of style and are also called Concord clips (I prefer calling them Concord to avoid confusion). In the 80s there was another thing called a banana clip that looks like a wedge with a comb on each side facing inward, a hinge on the bottom, and it stuck together on top. Thats the clip this thread is about.
true
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

Girl friend!! Throw that banana clip out really fast!!!
Nothing screams "I`m afraid of change" more than a banana clip!!!

Nonsense.  Banana clips are a very comfortable way to wear one's hair that feels good, does not break one's hair, looks good, and keeps your head cool in hot weather.

Problem these days is that the only banana clips sold are the ones with the single-prong teeth.  Those never stay in my hair.  I need the ones with the double-prongs that go into a point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic