Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perm Or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tommy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm Or Not?
    Posted: December 23 2000 at 12:40am
My girlfriend wants me to get a perm. I am really unsure of what to expect and quite frankly am a little embarrassed. Have any of you guys been through this? Is it worth it and should I really do this?

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2000 at 6:35pm
Reply to message: 14.142.1
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for your post.

I have been receiving lots of private emails from men about perms lately. Perms seem to have picked up in popularity over time. The key to the perm is getting a good consultation first. Why? Perms are chemicals and they will react differently depending on the type of hair that you have. I know some guys that have gotten perms and really enjoyed them and others who hated them.

I think for men, in my opinion, the key is to try and get a perm that will be similar to your current hair style. If you go from super straight to super curly in an instant, it may be too much of a sudden change and you might find it unnerving or difficult to adjust to.

If you like the results of a perm that are more subtle you can work towards a more dramatic look over time. So you might go with a light body wave initially to give your hair shape and movement and then advance to a more intense style with curls or waves. The results of the perm are dependent on how long you keep the perm product in your hair and the size of the rods that are used.

Certainly it is not a great idea to get a drastic change via a perm right before a major event like a wedding or Prom or big interview.

If you get a consultation first you can ask just how curly the perm is going to be and how it will impact your current hairstyle for better or worse.

If you generally wear your hair short you have the advantage of being able to get any permed hair cut off. If you prefer to wear your hair longer, think a perm through very carefully because if you growing your hair longer or prefer to wear it long, you will be stuck with the perm for a long time.

Just some general thoughts.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes & Happy Holidays,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jerry View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2000 at 12:24pm
Reply to message: 14.142.1
quote:

Tommy originally wrote:
My girlfriend wants me to get a perm. I am really unsure of what to expect and quite frankly am a little embarrassed. Have any of you guys been through this? Is it worth it and should I really do this?

Hey,

I wish I could have read Karen`s post about 1 year ago. I got talked into a perm about 1 year ago by my lady. She wanted me to go from super straight to super curly like Justin Timberlake. I did it and I looked like a freak. Had it all cut off in less than 1 week which meant that I threw about $100 down the drain. But now I have short spikes with some blonde streaks and my lady likes that even better.

Ben View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2000 at 3:11pm
Reply to message: 14.146.1
Hey man,

I had a perm and it burned my scalp. I felt strange sitting under the dryer and then I got red spots on my scalp. I paid over $100 and decided that I am not going to do this ever again.

Take it slow and get an expert in perms.
darin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2001 at 2:05pm
Hey guys,
i`m sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I personally love getting them and I really liked the results of my perms. Tommy, go for it! drop me an email pal and i`ll show you a pic of one of the styles i`ve had..i think you might enjoy it.

Darin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic