Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What causes baldness???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What causes baldness???
    Posted: November 26 2002 at 8:01pm
Hi,
I`ve heard many stories about what can cause baldness...such as wearing hats, using hair gel, etc. I`ve also heard that baldness is strictly heredity from the mother`s side of the family. Are there any other myths or truths about baldness that I should know about??? If so, are there any hair products or hair procedures that I should avoid?
Thanks,
Andrew.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2002 at 5:56pm
Okay.

1) Hereditary male pattern baldness (a la Dr. Phil) is inherited, from mother`s side
but I think more rarely also from dad`s side.

2) Alopecia is a condition that is difficult to treat (see hair loss board) where some or
all of your hair falls out due to some inbalance or something in the body. This is
very rare, however. A few other ailments can cause hair loss, eg. typhoid fever,
scarlet fever, thyroid problems (this is all very potted)

3) There exist drugs that can make hair fall out, especially cancer drugs (also
radiation therapy to hairy areas.) Normally drug-induced hair loss grows back but my
mother knew a man about 20 years ago who claimed to have lost all his hair due to a
drug and to have found out in a book in the states (I live in Canada) that this drug
can cause that. Hope THAT was pulled off the market long ago!

4) I don`t know about hats. Maybe if you wear hats ALL the time in hot weather and
the scalp gets inflamed.

5) There are people whose hair has fallen out after botched chemical processes. Oprah
once lost ALL her hair after a perm. Perming and dyeing hair are things I would avoid
as they do no good to the shaft or the scalp. More people should be content with your
natural you I think.

Hope that helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic