Print Page | Close Window

Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested? Great For Hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair & Alternative Therapies
Forum Description: Share your experiences with Alternatives Therapies
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17817
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 12:16am

Topic: Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested? Great For Hair?
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Subject: Peppermint Oil - Dangerous If Ingested? Great For Hair?
Date Posted: December 31 2001 at 2:34am
Hi all,

I subscribe to The Herb Quarterly and I was interested in a brief article that they had about how peppermint oil, the authentic essential oil, is being tested for an assorment of persistent & distressing gastrointestinal symptoms. The oil is being taken internally. Which sort of suprised me because it is known that you should never ingest essential oils unless under the strict supervision of a naturopathic physician. They do mention this in the article but I found it fascinating.

For their tests they used 0.2 to 0.4 mg of peppermint oil, 3 times a day in capsule that were taken internally. They also experimented with enteric coated and uncoated capsules to see what happened if/when the peppermint oil was released into the small intestine and the colon or just released into the stomach.

It turned out that the oil that was released only in the stomach did not have benefits but the oil that was released into the intestines & color did show promising relief from irritable bowel syndrome.

I have played with peppermint oil for head massages but have always been careful to use it mixed with oils or if I put it into my bath, I always make sure it is mixed with water appropriately. Peppermint is a great hair massage oil and I like peppermine tea for settling a nervous stomach made from commercial teas.

I found it really interesting that the experts are now testing peppermint oil to help relax irritable bowels and other stress related conditions. It further adds to the idea that peppermint can help relax the scalp and thus help hair grow better.

Again, never take an essential oil internally w/out express approval from your physician or naturopathic healer. It could be poisonous if taken in too large of quanties. Also remember to never use it on your scalp or your body w/out first diluting in carrier oil, water or other appropriate delivery methods.

If anyone has additional info on this or just on peppermint oil uses I would love to heave them and share any recipes.

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Replies: