Print Page | Close Window

Recipes - In Honor Of Merlin - Hungary Waters!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair & Alternative Therapies
Forum Description: Share your experiences with Alternatives Therapies
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17860
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 5:35am

Topic: Recipes - In Honor Of Merlin - Hungary Waters!
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Subject: Recipes - In Honor Of Merlin - Hungary Waters!
Date Posted: March 28 2002 at 1:36am
Hi Merlin & all,

I have this terrible habit of writing myself notes on the bright pink sticky pads and then sticking them all over. I found some notes I had on recipes when I started digging in my file cabinets and so I wanted to post them in case anyone is interested.

Besides being obsessed w/ hair I also like to play with homemade candles, soaps, incense, potpourri, perfume and various scent. I have one room dedicated in my house that is full of essential oils, candles & works-in-progress.

I don`t guarantee that you will like these recipes but they are worth a look-see.

Unfortunately I have to say I am not always sure where I get the recipes. Sometimes I found them in books and then modified them to my needs, sometimes I got them from friends and in some cases I got them from a combination.

In all cases I usually modify the recipes after playing with them.
Recipe #1:
Elizabeth Of Hungary - Hungary Water (also known as glycerin water). This was a perfume that was created for Queen Elizabeth of Hungary in the 1300s.

Source: A herbalist in Dallas that used to sell all sorts of homemade oils/perfumes/splashes gave me this recipe. I made the recipe a few times and played with a variety of combinations.

I love this recipe because of the citrusy top notes and the fact that oils are expressed from the peel of the fruit. This has a tangy scent and is refreshing. It gives me a definite energy lift.

You can use either 1 lemon or 1 orange. I prefer the lemon. I have also tried it with grapefruit which is an interesting modification.

Tools/Ingredients
Ball or Mason glass Jar w/ tight lid that will hold approximately 20 ounces.
1 large lemon OR 1 large orange OR 1 large grapefruit (select one - your option)
1 cup of orangeflower water (See below - you can buy this from some shops or you can make it but you need to allow it to "cook" for 2-4 weeks.) I have also used my own lemonflower concotion (see below).
1 teaspoon glycerin
1 cup of vodka (Stoli or other good quality vodka is better than cheap vodka IMO)
1/2 teaspoon of essential oil of lemon
2 teaspoons essential oil of bergamot
1/8 teaspoon essential oil of rosemary
2 tablespoons of fresh peppermint leaf, cut into very small pieces.

Note: I have tried substituting herbs for the rosemary & it was not the same. You definitely need to use the oil forms for best results.

1. Use a brand new sterilized glass container. I like to use new Ball or Mason jars and then I decant and store my final concoctions in amber glass or dark blue bottles.
2. Use a potato peeler or zester to peel the skin of the fruit in a long peel being careful to get JUST the peel and NOT the fruit or the white fleshy part that is right under the skin.

Peel carefully so that the skin fills up the majority of space in the glass jar. You may need to experiment with this. The first time I made the recipe I did not use enough peel and the second time I used too much.

The key is to using just 1 citrus fruit but a large one and be careful to get as much of the peel vs the other parts of the fruit as possible.

3. Blend the orangeflower water & glycerin
4. Add the vodka.
5. Add the peppermint
6. Finally, add the essential oils.
7. Put the cap on tightly & then store the bottle in a cool dark cabinet for 4-6 weeks. The longer the better.
8. Use a filter (coffee works well) to decant the liquid into an amber or dark blue bottle.
9. I like to buy the amber or blue bottles that have the spray tops and the lids. This helps prevent the perfumed water from evaporating. I like to mist it.

Be careful to keep your eyes closed when you mist or it may sting.
OrangeFlower Water

16 ounces of distilled water
2 ounces of vodka
25 drops of essential oil of bergamot
14 drops of essential oil of orange

Pour vodka & water into a new sterilized glass jar. Add both essential oils. Seal the bottle & store in a cool, dark place for 2-4 weeks. Gently shake the bottle every 2-3 days. Shake well before using in other recipes.

LemonFlower Water

16 ounces of distilled water
2 ounces of vodka
25 drops of essential oil of bergamot
14 drops of essential oil of lemon

Pour vodka & water into a new sterilized glass jar. Add both essential oils. Seal the bottle & store in a cool, dark place for 2-4 weeks. Gently shake the bottle every 2-3 days. Shake well before using in other recipes.

Recipe #2

Queen of Hungary Recipe - Rosemary Gladstar version.

This recipe is a "toner" rather than a perfume or splash. It was modernized by Rosemary Gladstar and I have seen it in at least 3 different recipe books.

Ingredients
8 ounce sterilized Mason or Ball glass jar
3 ounces of fresh lavender,
3 ounces of fresh chamomile
3 ounces of fresh comfrey
3 ounces of fresh calendula
3 ounces of fresh lemon balm
3 ounces of fresh dried roses
3 ounces of fresh sage
3 ounces of fresh thyme
5 - 8 ounces of raw apple cider vinegar (enough to completely cover the herbs)
5 - 8 ounces of witch hazel extract
approximately 100 drops lavender essential oil

Fill the jar with all the herbs. Pour apple cider vinegar over the herbs add tight air-tight cap and then steep and store in cool, dark area for 8-10 weeks. Shake jar gently every week.

After 8 weeks, strain through a coffee filter, cheesecloth or other natural strainer. Squeeze well to make sure you get every drop.

Add equal amount of witch hazel extract to the strained liquid. If you have 5 ounces of liquid - add 5 ounces of witch hazel.

Add 10 drops of lavender oil to every 1 ounce of the cider/witch hazel liquid. The final dose should equal 8-10 ounces. You would use 80-100 drops of lavender oil. If you prefer you can use more or less if you love lavender.

Pour into a amber or dark blue bottle. You can use a bottle with a stopper or spritzer or just a capped lid. The choice is yours.

To apply, pour a small amount to a cotton cloth and dab on face. Or spritz a mist to clean dry skin OR use as a splash. To make a splash add 1/2 teaspoon of the liquid to 1 pint of cool/cold water. Splash on your face to refresh and awaken.

Remember the old movies where the actresses would bend over a china bowl and splash her face w/ cold water? Chances are it had a similar concoction. :-)

Variations....

I like to play with adding different complimentary essential oils AND I will often add Bach Flower or FES or other flower remedies to my final formula.

I like to add 10 drops of Bach Flower Rescue Remedy to this particular recipe because it helps me heal and rejuvenate. I also may add a Bach based on whatever issues I am working on at the time.

Hope you like.

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: March 28 2002 at 1:59am
PS. The Hungary splash or mist will actually help increase circulation to your entire head and will ultimately benefit your hair and scalp as a secondary benefit. Energy that is generated in the head area will ultimately help those little hair follicles that we need to nourish. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: Merlin
Date Posted: March 28 2002 at 12:34pm
VERY COOL!! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. I will certainly let you know my experience with it.

Warmest Regards

Merlin

-------------
Merlin