Forum Description: Share your experiences with Alternatives Therapies
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17864
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 3:20am

Topic: Karen`s Secret Basil Oil Hair Growth Recipe
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Subject: Karen`s Secret Basil Oil Hair Growth Recipe
Date Posted: April 03 2002 at 11:56pm
Hi,

In the late 80s I went on an extreme Medifast diet and although I lost weight, my hair fell out in chunks. I discovered, after the fact that hair loss often accompanies extreme dieting.

I discovered a formula that really made a noticeable difference for me and my hair.

The key is to getting real not synthetic Basil oil which is very expensive but works.

Good quality carrier oils you can use are almond, sesame and jojoba. Olive was too heavy to work as well w/ the basil.

Recipe

4 ounces of carrier oil (almond, sesame, jojoba)
10 drops of Basil oil
Saran wrap or plastic shower cap

Note: Depending on the length and condition of your hair you can increase or decrease the amount of carrier and Basil oil appropriately. For example, you can increase the mixture to 8 ounces of carrier oil to 20 drops of Basil or 2 ounces of oil and 5 drops of Basil.

Mix the basil oil into the carrier oil. Heat in double boiler over the stove until the oil is warm to the touch.

Using very clean fingers (important since you want to make sure you don`t transfer toxins to your roots) or cotton balls, start at the roots of your hair and apply the basil mixture. Focus the application on the roots and any areas of the scalp that are sore or tender.

Depending on the condition of your hair you may or may not want to extend the oil to the ends. Since my problem was hair loss from the roots, I focused the Basil oil on the root area only.

Wrap your head in a clean plastic shower cap or Saran Wrap. If you have a hood style dryer sit under it for 30 minutes to help the heat open the cuticles. If not, you can use a blow dryer for 5 minutes and direct heat over the top of the scalp. Or you can wrap a hot towel around the top of the Saran Wrap.

Leave the mixture on for 1 hour or more.

I have actually slept in the mixture but the Basil has a strong aroma and it drove me crazy.

To remove the oil do the following:

1. Apply 1 quarter size of gentle shampoo like PhytoCidre, Aveda Shampure or Giovanni 50/50 to the palms of your hands. Pat the shampoo at the roots on top of the oil mixture. Pat the shampoo mixture down the length of your hair.

Step into a warm water shower and direct the water flow on the shampoo mixture. Gently swish the shampoo down the length of your hair.

Repeat the shampoo twice if necessary.

Apply a rinse out conditioner, rinse well and then do a cool/cold rinse to close the cutile.

Apply a leave in conditioner and let hair air dry if possible.

I did this treatment 3x a week for 1 month and noticed significant new hair growth along the hairline after just 2 weeks.

This may not work for everyone but it worked for my situation which was related to extreme dieting and hair loss.

I bought the Basil Oil from an aromatherapist in Dallas who certified that it was 100% real. It is important not to use synthetic oil. It is also important to NEVER use the Basil Oil directly on the scalp. It must be first mixed in a carrier oil.

Let me know if you have quesitons.

Best wishes,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Replies: