Print Page | Close Window

Jello, Food Coloring Or Similar Coloring?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18280
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 5:02am

Topic: Jello, Food Coloring Or Similar Coloring?
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Jello, Food Coloring Or Similar Coloring?
Date Posted: February 22 2003 at 4:52pm
Anyone have good recipes for using jello or food coloring to color hair? I have tried a couple of things but don't seem to get the color thick enough to stay on my hair. And it doesn't seem to really color it. Plus it is a mess. Help would be appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: February 22 2003 at 5:58pm
Although it is very very messy I have had some luck with straight food coloring that comes in a paste form. A friend of mine works for a large bakery and he bought some for me in red. It was pretty cheap and had a good solid consistency that was easier to use than my past disasters with jello and kool aide. It is still messy though. So use it somewhere that is well covered with plastic or newspaper. I actually layer newspaper in my bathtub and then stand in it when I apply the mix. Then I quickly dispose of the newspaper and rinse the tub well. I always use Rubbermaid gloves and layer petroleum jelly around my hairline to neutralize the potential of staining my skin. This is the dye they use to color decorated birthday cakes. So it is pretty intense.

I get the best color when I first color my hair with 30 or 40 vol bleach from Manic Panic (you can get it here at HB). When my hair is bleached to my liking I either streak the color OR I dip the bottom of my hair OR paint it over my whole head. I have done red and recently tried blue with good results.

Since the color is in a paste form, it can be mixed to a much thicker consistency that is easier to control. It will not color hair that is dark although it will color blonde or light hair. I like to prebleach first.

Just remember that this stains everything. And I mean everything.

Forget about using grocery store food color. It is liquid form and will not penetrate or achieve much other than a big giant mess.

Print Page | Close Window