Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18285
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 9:25am

Topic: Blue Black Hair?
Posted By: maggie
Subject: Blue Black Hair?
Date Posted: February 27 2003 at 1:31pm
Hi, I am thinking about dyeing my hair a blue black color. (This might sound weird, lol, but you know the Archie comics? You know how Veronica''s hair is like black, but where the they make the light shine on it her hair is like a navy bluish?) Anyways, I have natually dark brown hair and my eye brows are natually black. Will this color look good on me? Also, do you have any suggestions as to what brand dye i should use? When they label the color blue black...will it really make my hair have a bluish tone, or will it just look black?? Thanks so much!

Oh...and if the tips of my hair are lighter (from using Sun-in 2 years ago) will the color still work on the tips of my hair too??

Replies:
Posted By: Sophie
Date Posted: February 27 2003 at 8:15pm
Hi Maggie:

I 'm going to suggest semi-permanent deposit only color if your going darker...You don't need to put your hair through the permanent color thing. Maybe someone can recommend something...If you get Salon color Redken Shades, or Matrix Color Sync would work great.

Yes, your old highlighted ends will pull base tones from the color...muddy..grayish greenish or even bluish...? They need to be filled before coloring.

-------------
Sophie
http://salonwest.proboards34.com - http://salonwest.proboards34.com

Posted By: claribuzz
Date Posted: February 28 2003 at 7:02am
Hmm blue black is nice. I see a lot of asian people using it. there nothing weird about it. It just another shade of black. I use to have it to. I looks great, but people dont really notice it unless you compare a black dyed hair with blue black then you will see the different. But since you have brown hair the colour would show

-------------
ARGHH

Posted By: beachgerl
Date Posted: February 28 2003 at 2:29pm
I'm asian but I look awful with blue black hair. I tried it once and it just clashes with my skintone (looked harsh). But with a natural or soft black, it looks best on me. I love that shiny, black hair without bluish undertones. More of like silvery black.

Posted By: beachgerl
Date Posted: February 28 2003 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Maggie Maggie wrote:

Hi, I am thinking about dyeing my hair a blue black color. (This might sound weird, lol, but you know the Archie comics? You know how Veronica''s hair is like black, but where the they make the light shine on it her hair is like a navy bluish?) Anyways, I have natually dark brown hair and my eye brows are natually black. Will this color look good on me? Also, do you have any suggestions as to what brand dye i should use? When they label the color blue black...will it really make my hair have a bluish tone, or will it just look black?? Thanks so much!

Oh...and if the tips of my hair are lighter (from using Sun-in 2 years ago) will the color still work on the tips of my hair too??

Natural Instincts have Amazon Indigo, which is a blue-black semi-permanent color or Feria's Starry Night permanent dye, also blue-black. I bet blue black hair will look gorgeous on you, just like this fave actress, Claudia Black of "Farscape" (see my icon).

Date Posted: February 28 2003 at 8:20pm
Go with the Natural Instincts...You don't need 20 vol. H2O2, and ammonia to deposit color. (Unless covering gray)

-------------
Sophie

Posted By: Elissa
Date Posted: March 01 2003 at 8:11am
Beware...a girl on another thread reported using semi-permanent hair color in blue-black (natural dark brown) and it is not washing out. This will happen sometimes when you use a darker color in semi-permanent.

Date Posted: March 01 2003 at 7:32pm
It will, or could, happen with any color, semi, demi, or permanent.

If you're going to deposit dark color on your hair it doesn't, in most cases just wash out and go back to your natural color.

-------------
Sophie

Date Posted: March 06 2003 at 4:08pm
Thanks everyone for replying!!!! So I should use a semi-permanant hair dye? but Now im not sure about dying my hair...since my tips of my hair are dyed with sun-in. Are you sure it wont work right?? Now im sad, lol:( but thanks so much for all the replies!!!!

Date Posted: March 06 2003 at 8:19pm
Do a test strand girl, see if you like it...make sure you get some of that lightened hair so you can see what the dark will do on it.

It won't just wash out tho...be aware of that.

Let us know

-------------
Sophie

Date Posted: March 06 2003 at 10:26pm
yea, maybe I will try that. If I do that, I could do some of the hair underneath. but now im not totally sure I want to dye it!! hmmmmm.

Posted By: Vineman
Date Posted: March 07 2003 at 7:13pm
Yeah I tried dying my hair blue to get Blue black hair since my hair is naturally black I thought it I used lots of dye it would show up a bit... but it didn't work. It turned the red at the front a yucky dark grey purple and only showed up once under some light. My hair is to big and messy anway I don't think it'd look too good but I'd like to try it anyway especially when it grows out.

I don't want to use anything permanent as I want to bleach my hair sometime (I'm a future planner) and it's dark enough already.

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: March 21 2003 at 1:19am
You sound like me.2 years go i used sun in,then i dyed my hair blue black for another 2 years.Now im going back to my natural hair color.

Posted By: SkaWroteEm
Date Posted: April 17 2003 at 3:43pm
Hey everyone,
Ok so I had a post similar to this one but no one responded, so I thought I'd write here. I've got brown hair, and I suppose brown eyebrows and was thinking of going black (or black with a light blue tint) this weekend.

Few questions. One, would this even look good on me?

Two, what are some things to watch out for? I'm not worried about it not washing out, but what I am worried about is ending up with greens and oranges or whatever in my hair.

This being my first time, should I attempt to do this on my own, or leave it to a pro?

I would appreciate any advice, even if you want to make fun of me. Laugh if you want, just let me know what the word is.

My cats breath smells like cat food.

Big B

-------------

Posted By: Lady Maria
Date Posted: April 19 2003 at 5:16pm
Do yourself a favor, go with a pro. I don't color my hair but even getting it cut properly is important to me.

Why leave it to chance? Go to a good salon.

-------------
Lady Maria

Date Posted: May 26 2003 at 4:29am
Being on the subject of blue black hair, I wonder which ones below would be good for hair? Something that's black with blue undertones that would show up under the lights or something. I have dyed light brown hair that I want to get rid of and return to black permanently. Also, something that is super gentle on my hair, which is on dry and damaged side.

- Natural Instincts Amazon Indigo
- Garnier Lumia Black Iris
- Nice n Easy Natural Blue Black
- Feria Starry Night

I heard negative things about Feria Starry Night. Any feedback would be great! Thanks.

Posted By: Eryn
Date Posted: June 15 2003 at 3:03pm
I do not mean to impose on this thread, but I am thirteen and I have been dying my hair with semi-permenent colors for almost a year, and I would like to try something different. I really want to dye the tips of my hair either blue or green. I wanted to know if I could use some sort of food coloring so I can change it often. I went to a website and it said that I could also use Kool-Aid or Jello to acheive this look. How do I use them and how long will they stay in? I go swimming a lot and was also wondering if the color would come out in the pool? If you could help me it would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Eryn

Date Posted: September 01 2003 at 1:59am
Heyya. I am just writing about an interesting experience I had with blue-black colour just today. I have naturally dark-brown hair which for two months I had kept bleached-blonde. I went to a friend's house this weekend and got pink streaks while drunk...and I still live with the mother. Needless to say she was not happy...

So, I ran to Longs and got Feria #21, Starry Night. I was expecting less-than-perfect results, because a) my hair was nearly platinum and b) it contained very-recently applied semi-permanent pink. The verdict...it looks INCREDIBLE. Perfect coverage, absolutely no trace of blonde, beautiful shimmering black with very very noticeable blue tones. (So noticeable, in fact, that my hair almost looks navy blue. I guess that's only good if you don't mind having noticeably blue hair.) The pink is totally gone. The only minor problem is that due to all the damage, my hair started falling out a little during the rinse, but that problem was solved when I used the conditioner that comes in the box...in one application it restored my hair to nearly its original health, before bleaching and all, and I've bleached it all two or three times...and let's face it, Feria is NOT the most gentle of all of the Level 3 dyes...the ammonia fumes are so strong that if a window isn't open you'll get a bit woozy...but DON'T WORRY, the conditioner fixes all that.

Posted By: Kuroneko
Date Posted: September 01 2003 at 10:44pm
It turned your hair navy-blue? I've been trying to make my hair blue. . . of any shade. . . for years with no luck (always turns green :-( ). I've wondered sometimes if those blue-black dyes would make my hair as blue as the sample strands look, but knowing it wouldn't wash out, I've been afraid to try. I might be more likely to try now it'd take less time to grow all out, even if it were a mistake. *wonders*
Would the less permanent kind turn out as blue as the permanent? I'd really rather use the gentlest thing possible, especially since I (only sometimes) have reactions to dyes. *wonders if it's even still all right to dye in that case*

-------------
More awesome than a manatee!

Posted By: peachy789
Date Posted: October 18 2003 at 1:42pm
yes this is a great color that my friends have used...get l'oreal preference in deepest indigo.

-------------
Caileigh

Posted By: k77R
Date Posted: October 18 2003 at 8:31pm
caca noir (black henna) by Lush should do the trick. It's exactly what you're looking for, a black dye with blueish shine. It's available at www.lush.com, and as you may or may not know using henna to dye hair doesn't cause any of the damage of convential chemical dyes and is actually healthy for your hair. Good luck!

-------------

Posted By: Aeryn
Date Posted: March 07 2004 at 5:19pm
I thought I'd let everyone know about new products on market right now (available at any retail or drugstore). There are Garnier 100% blue-black and you can see it at http://www.garnier100color.com - http://www.garnier100color.com and also Revlon added a new shade to Revlon Colorsilk collection, a blue-black (#12). I guess the color is still popular as ever and it's a good thing they're keeping up with those colors. I'm curious to try one of those...but they're permanent color so I'm a little hesitant and would show up well on those who have brown or lighter hair than those who have naturally black hair.

Date Posted: March 07 2004 at 11:49pm
I think I'd have to be assured it would keep its blue-ness before I would risk a permanent blue-black dye right now. I really would like to try it, as I'm getting bored with the reds I've been using, but it's the blue cast that attracts me, so I'd have to make sure it would look and stay blue on me. I wouldn't see the point in it if it weren't very blue, as I've had plain black before and don't especially want it again.

-------------

Posted By: babydoll1474
Date Posted: March 09 2004 at 11:52pm
see i tryied dying my hair black and it turned out a blueish black i HATE it!!!

-------------

Date Posted: March 14 2004 at 4:07am
Originally posted by babydoll1474 babydoll1474 wrote:

see i tryied dying my hair black and it turned out a blueish black i HATE it!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it at all. It can be lifted by using a color remover/stripper to return to your natural color or to go lighter. It can be done. You can either do it yourself or go to salon to do this. Blue-black color suits people who go for that 'Goth' look or have olive or cool skintone. I have olive skin and that's why I love it on me.

Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I think I'd have to be assured it would keep its blue-ness before I would risk a permanent blue-black dye right now. I really would like to try it, as I'm getting bored with the reds I've been using, but it's the blue cast that attracts me, so I'd have to make sure it would look and stay blue on me. I wouldn't see the point in it if it weren't very blue, as I've had plain black before and don't especially want it again.

Sadly the blues is the first to fade, the lighter colors in a haircolor go first. People who have used a blue black color reported the blue going away but the black staying.

Date Posted: April 04 2004 at 1:59am
Okay. *crosses that off the list of shades I'd like to try, then*

-------------

Posted By: UrbanAmy
Date Posted: May 14 2004 at 4:54pm
Anyone tried either Garnier 100% or Revlon Colorsilk Blue Black dyes yet? I'm leaning towards Colorsilk 'cause it is ammonia free and more gentle on hair, I presume. Please let me know before I buy, thanks!

-------------

Posted By: COLORCRAZY
Date Posted: May 21 2004 at 3:13pm
I have done every black known to man. Try doing a permanet one. I don't like semi ones because if you do like it a week or so later it is gone.It is very depressing. Oh well I say you only live once. you don't like your color, try again.That is what makes it fun!!!

-------------
Never be afraid to try new things. Be
afraid of the people who won't!

Date Posted: June 01 2004 at 10:37pm
hey im planning to dye my hair and i wanna either buy that garnier 100% blue-black or revlon colorsilk blue black... im really pale (paler then amy lee, at that) and my hair is a mixture of brown and light brown with reddish tones... would my hair get all weirdish or would it work out on me? oh yeah, and my hair is like super-thick and super-frizzy so i want something that wont reallly kill it... plus i want to know, for future reference, what are the best blue-black hair dyes...? *wants to complete her gothiness*

Posted By: dj727
Date Posted: June 02 2004 at 4:41am
If your gonna die it Blue Black, avoid Revlon. I know this girl that used Revlon blue black and and a couple of washes the blue turns a little purple then the blue washes out, so then your just left with black hair. Use Garnier 100% color, or something else.

Date Posted: June 03 2004 at 12:58am
Anyone have tried L'oreal Preference Mega Cools in Onyx Sheen? Is it a good blue black color? It looks very bluish black.

Date Posted: June 03 2004 at 1:04am
Anyone have tried L'oreal Preference Mega Cools in Onyx Sheen? Is it a good blue black color? It looks very bluish black.

Date Posted: June 03 2004 at 10:10am
well then what are the best dyes for long-lasting blue-black hair... ? ima gonna buy 100% color by garnier but i wanted to know if theres anything else... by like loreal or something....

Date Posted: June 04 2004 at 1:36pm
Garnier 100% color blue-black hair dye is what i have. its not expensive, but it is permanent...so just make sure you really want blue black hair.

Date Posted: June 06 2004 at 11:57pm
Roxanne, did you like it? Is it very drying and did it last (not fading so much)? I don't mind trying this new Garnier 100% myself and I don't mind if it stays permanent, but I don't like the nature of permanent dyes. I'm thinking of just dyeing my Mega Cools Onyx Sheen with 10 vol. instead of 20 for more gentle effect but not sure if I'm allowed to do this.

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2004 at 9:07pm
Any luck with 100% Garnier in blue black 210? Any other recs for a long lasting blue black color? What about Feria Starry Night or High Dimension Black Licorice (bright black)? I don't like permanent color, though. Too strong for my taste and very drying. Otherwise, I'm sticking to Onyx Sheen by L'oreal at Sally's with 10 vol.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2004 at 5:52am
How long does the blue last?

I tried dying my hair blue black, permanent, and the blue didn't really come out at all. Not only that, the black is starting to fade.

Posted By: gizmo
Date Posted: September 11 2004 at 10:30am
Doing a semi-permanent in blue-black is very tempting. I'd look so goth though, because I'm fair.

My current "permanent" haircolor has already started to fade. Very disappointing. It was dark brown but now I have medium reddish brown appearing in spots. I'm even using a good shampoo and only shampoo every other day.

Blah. Away to the drugstore!

-------------