Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19173
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 9:21am

Topic: "natural" highlights
Posted By: eleanorcat
Subject: "natural" highlights
Date Posted: December 28 2004 at 3:30pm
I have naturally dark brown hair and want natural looking highlights. I do not want the chunky type in which you can see the 'stripes' of color. I want the kind that has an overall look, almost like a single process.

I brought photos and described this to the colorists, but the last few times I got highlights, I came out with the "stripy" look.

What is the procedure to doing foils? In the past I've noticed that the colorist only foils every other section of hair. She takes a section and weaves the part to be foiled, . Then they take the next section and leave it my natureal color (no foil), then takes a section and weaves the part to foil. So inbetween each foil, is the whole section not foiled and the hair of the next section that was weaved out to remain my natural color.
Should they be leaving a whole sections my natural color? I would think that is why I look stripy?

Someone please tell me how to explain what I want to the colorist. As I mentioned, even photos don't seem to get my point across.

Replies:
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: December 28 2004 at 5:08pm
Hi. yes this is the normal procedure of foils, ask the stylist to leave out a smaller section of hair between the foils to reduce the 'stripy' effect. How light do you want your hair? Having a more caramel shade will look more natural as the contrast won't be so much. Hope you get it sorted

Posted By: danillea82
Date Posted: December 30 2004 at 12:52am
If you don't want a drastic difference in color between your highlights and natural hair, you could do low lights and highlights together.

This way some of the hair would be dyed a lighter color while the rest a darker color (but lighter color than your natural color).

This might work if the highlights you are getting are much lighter than your natural hair color.

Doing this would cause more hair to be colored if you don't mind that, and I don't know about you, but I've always noticed my low lights have come out rather orangey (I have the same color hair you do).

I am sure a VERY good colorist who LISTENS could give you the tone you want without the stripes.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window