Forum Description: Tips & Techniques to look your best
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20650
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:07am

Topic: Permanent makeup
Posted By: BaldJasmine
Subject: Permanent makeup
Date Posted: October 26 2003 at 5:26pm
Hi ladies.
I've heard so much lately about permanent eye makeup. Apparently it's safe and has become more affordable.
It seems like it would be a great way to save time. Just think of the time you spend in a year putting on your eye makeup. In the long run it might even pay for itself in what we spend on eye makeup. Eyebrows could be done too.

My question. Has anyone here had this done? How do you like it? What have you had done?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: tina m
Date Posted: October 26 2003 at 9:24pm
I would like to know more about that too Jasmine.

In a way I like putting on my makeup, the ritual of it. In a way it's fun. I just like it.

But then again it would be nice not to have to do it.

I'm curious too. Has anyone here had it done?

Posted By: duke
Date Posted: October 28 2003 at 3:49am
I think it's a stupid idea. If it's really permanent, you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life - and it's on your FACE, for crying out loud. When you get old and your skin gets wrinkly, or when it no longer matches your natural colors, what will you think? I think what they do is they tattoo it on your face. Ouch.

-------------

Posted By: tina m
Date Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:30pm
You pick makeup that is flattering to your complexion, and it doesn't matter what age you are.

It's not a stupid idea. You just get some work done around the eyes. It's perfectly safe and I know many women, especially professional women, are having it done. Like Jasmine said, it saves a woman time. Many women also get tired of putting their makeup on.

If it wasn't a good idea so many intelligent sophisticated women wouldn't be having it done.

What's stupid is your uninformed statement Duke.

But back to Jasmine's original question. Have any women here had it done?

Posted By: duke
Date Posted: October 29 2003 at 4:26am
Tina, many intelligent, sophisticated people do stupid things for various reasons. Sometimes, it's because they have the wrong information.

I didn't specifically say it wasn't safe. All I mentioned was that I was told it was tattooing and I am wary of things that will affect you for the rest of your life. What if one day you decide you want to be 100% natural? Also, I know that wrinkling skin distorts tattooing, and speculate that it could happen in this situation, too. Ya know, they sell all kinds of stuff in order to make money. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's smart.

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2003 at 6:33am
Duke this is a form of tattooing but it's not on the skin per se, and as I understand it, age and wrinkling are not a factor in permanent eye makeup. I know women of various ages have it done.
I never intended this to be a debate about permanent eye makeup. I was trying to get more information about it from women who have had it done.

Posted By: Jenna
Date Posted: October 29 2003 at 10:22pm
I could be wrong, but I've heard it usually doesn't last longer than a year. Maybe the technology has improved or there are different varieties. I personally think it would be more fun if it did only last a year, just because you never know for sure what your preferences will be the rest of your life.

What features are you considering getting done, Jasmine? Many women do it for their lips as well.

-------------

Posted By: demodoll
Date Posted: October 30 2003 at 8:48am
I looked into this since a few weeks ago because I have a friend who had it done and she looks great! It isn't totally permanent. It lasts about 7 years and apparently you have to get it "refreshed" every two to three years. You can get eyeliner, lipliner, and lip color but it is very expensive. Where I live it would take around $1000 to get all that done by someone who is licensed. They don't use tatoo ink, it was something vegetable based I think.

If I could afford this I would definitely get it done. My husband was puzzled about why anyone would want to do this so I think it must be a girl thing. I was especially interested in the lip stuff since as I have aged, my lips have been gradually disappearing. If I can find the spare $$$ I will do it.

-------------
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Date Posted: October 30 2003 at 5:52pm
2-3 years sounds like a great amount of time. My friend's mom had it done and it only lasted a year, but that was 5-6 years ago and the technology is probably better. I didn't know it was so pricey, but it would be a good investment for some people.

I actually enjoy putting on makeup so it's not for me, and usually I just wear mascara and gloss anyway. If you have the money then I don't see a reason not to.

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2003 at 9:48am
Thanks Jenna and Demodoll.
I've been doing my own checking on it.
I think you're right Demodoll, it isn't permanent but it does last for many years with the need every few years for touch up work.
I am really considering it. It isn't that expensive . You save money on makeup anyway.
I want mainly eyeliner, maybe eyebrows too. I have thought of getting my eyebrows shaped with electrolysis and then maybe some permanent makeup for my eyebrows.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2003 at 3:12pm
Jasmine, I've gotten my eyebrows shaped with electrolysis. It's the best thing I've ever done for my appearance, even if it was somewhat painful (but varies from person to person). The woman I went to was also a makeup artist and was very good at brow shaping. I didn't realize how much the right eyebrow shape can really enhance your eyes and facial structure. I used to pluck them myself and it didn't look as good, not to mention how time consuming it can be.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2003 at 4:56pm
That sounds great Jenna. I think I am going to get my eyebrows shaped with electrolysis too, for just the reasons you said.
As far as permanent makeup goes, I will probably just get some eyeliner done, not lashes or eyebrows. I like to do my eyelashes and I don't really feel the need to have my eyebrows done.

-------------

Posted By: Charzbella
Date Posted: February 14 2005 at 5:09pm
I had mine done last week. I did a bit of research on cosmetic tattooing so I will share here.

First of all its not like traditional tattooing, the needles are far finer and it takes longer to load pigmentation in.

The inks are not synthetic permanent inks but vegetable based so are safer on the senstive areas cosmetic tattoo's are you used on.

Your initial appointment will need to be followed up by a touch up. it does fade over time from a year to 5 but you can get touch ups done inbetween to keep it fresh.

As the other poster mentioned aging this is taken into consideration and given it does fade you can have lighter colours put on to match your hair. You don't want to be a grey Nana with bombshell ruby red lips and jet black rimmed eyes hehe.

Long story short every so often ask for a hand mirror or take one and keep an eye on the work being done. I'd recommend having a local injected at a clinic before going as when the numbing lotions they use wear of it HURTS! ask to see work on previous clients of the technicians.

Be sure to be clear on aftercare dont pick or scrub post treatment. make sure you have a good idea of what you want before you go in. Do a google search on permanent make up, cosmetic tattoo's, long lasting make up, micropigmentation are names this is known as.

Im going back for my follow up next week wasn't too pleased a bit crooked but can be fixed. Do ya research if your serious. It cost me over $1000.00 for brows upper eyeliner, and a lip line. lot of money to spend on someone who isn't good.

Hope this helps :) I do like it i hate doing make up just foundation and concealer now woohoo!

-------------
If YoUr A fLy GaL GeT yOuR nAiLs
DoNe-GeT a PeDiCuRe-GeT yA hAiR
dId!

Posted By: JenniferL
Date Posted: February 14 2005 at 10:53pm
i had permanent makeup done about 6 months ago and totally love it! i got my eyebrows and upper eyeliner done and they make me look better than when i use to apply the makeup myself. i think it all depends on WHO you go to that makes all the difference. since its cosmetic, its so important to go to someone that knows how to create a good shape (which is rare)...and has experience . ive seen disasters on many people who ''''''''ve gotten their brows messed up with such a nasty lookin shape.Ive got mines done right and brows are perfectly even both sides with an awesome arch,eyeliner is thin and delicate looking like a liquid eyeliner.but i had referals from friends and witnessed the work done on them before i threw myself out. so don''''''''t go to someone that you know nothing about their work.mines were done in california$200brows , $180 liner .very pleased w/ everything...

Posted By: Kalika
Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 1:31pm
its tattooing and anyone who says diffrent is blowing smoke up your @ss.

they want you to get it "refreshed" because tattoos do fade over time (but not alltogether), and if you think that it will just all go away it wont.

here are some things I found online..

"Would you considering warning your readers about the horrible hazards of permanent makeup? I had it done and it is nothing but a nightmare. I had a slight reaction (I was lucky), which cleared up with my doctor's help, but the color and shape of the eyebrows are horrible. I have too different shapes. For a month I wore panstick makeup on them with powder. I have purchased some tattoo fade cream which I pray will help. Right now I put lots and lots of powder on them to hide them but they still look bad. I am praying they will fade with the cream and I will not have to resort to laser treatment to remove the color, as it could destroy the eyebrow follicles. I went to someone that had nice photos of eyebrows but in retrospect I see that she only had photos of brunettes and I am a fair blond. Please warn your readers about permanent makeup. "

"We can correct many botched jobs done elsewhere but not all of them. Remember this is a tattoo it is lasts a long time! IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE 1st TIME you save yourself so much in the long run... Removing unwanted color once it is under the skin is quite difficult and a scar can result. It takes years of training and a lot of skill not to mention a certain amount of artistry to match colors and shapes to each persons skin. This is not your grandfathers tattoo that he got in the navy! It's on your face. "

theres so many more its staggering, Im not saying dont get it done, but dont be stupid about it. It is a tattoo. Tattoos last forever. the tattoo you get on your face will only be as good as the artist who does it. Colors can also bleed, going outside the lines.

be sure to educate yourself before you tattoo your face, and do not get it done by someone who refuses to admit its a tattoo.

-------------

Posted By: Innamorata594
Date Posted: February 16 2005 at 2:31pm
okay...i got bored reading the post with everyone bickering at one another so Im not sure if Im just repeating whats already been said... First off, I know many women who have gotten permanant eye and lip makeup done with mixed results. The worst I saw was a friend of mine who got it done by a supposed experienced professional..The first time the eyeliner was thicker on one eye then the other, so she had to get it redone to even it out...It turned out very crooked..So she had to have it done for the third and last time and now it looks like she puts on her eyeliner in the dark. They refused to refund her ANY money, even though it was clearly obvious that it looked awful. Another friend had her brows, eyeliner, and lipliner done at the school where they teach the makeup technicians(and paid like $40 bucks for each!!!) and it looks so natural and beautiful. I think it may be a good option as they probably have experienced professional trainers watching over them in the process as opposed to a pro whos in a hurry to get on to the next client.She said that the lips are the most painful. Anyway, I hope I helped...I just wanted to inform you that just because its a business in a nice area, it doesnt always mean youll get good results.

-------------
Sara

Posted By: BlondeJohn
Date Posted: February 17 2005 at 1:35am
My wife is considering getting permanent eye makeup. A couple of her women friends have gotten it done with very good results. If my wife gets it done she will go to the same place those women went to get their permanent eye makeup done.
It is probably a good idea to know someone who has had it done, and had it done very well, so that a lady would know where to go to get it done right.
I'm sure it can save a woman some time putting on her makeup. And it can look nice on a lady.

-------------

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: February 17 2005 at 4:31pm
Three words: Tammy Faye Bakker.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: Kalika
Date Posted: February 24 2005 at 3:51pm

-------------

Print Page | Close Window