Print Page | Close Window

Vaseline On Nails?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Beauty Talk
Forum Name: Nails
Forum Description: Dig your claws into the latest tips & techniques for your nails
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28590
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 7:54am

Topic: Vaseline On Nails?
Posted By: caramia
Subject: Vaseline On Nails?
Date Posted: March 20 2003 at 12:57pm
My sister swears that if you put Vaseline on your nails it will help them but I have always heard terrible things about using Vaseline on any body parts because of the petroleum base. Any opinions, suggestions?

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: March 20 2003 at 1:23pm
Hi,

I can't really comment on the Vaseline from personal experience but I can say that the key to good nails is to care for the cuticle and to provide it with proper nourishment. I personally alternate between a few oils that I apply to my cuticles on a regular basis. I personally prefer jojoba (which is also great on my hair) but in the past I have also used almond oil, sesame oil, monoi, castor oil, vit E. and Apricot pectin oil with good results.

The key is to find an oil mix that you like and use it religiously. I know that some people prefer lighter oils (like sesame) while others like the heavier oils (like coconut). Whatever works.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
HairBoutique.com

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Posted By: uzma
Date Posted: March 20 2003 at 7:13pm
Vaseline is a petroleum derivative.
It is a mineral oil/jelly and does not penetrate the skin/nails, but sits on top of them.
It is also reputed to destroy vitamin E in the body but that is something I have read, rather than conclusive scientific fact.

I have dry nails and cuticles and rub shea butter onto them every day.

The results are marvellous. No flaky, brittle or weak nails and cuticles. I recommend it.

-------------
Uzi

Posted By: Isla Q.
Date Posted: March 21 2003 at 3:24am
I must admit I too thought vaseline was good for nails, although I usually just use a handcream for my hands and fingernails, and my nails looks okay, mostly. But I'm definitely going to try that oil thing!

-------------

Posted By: SuperGrover
Date Posted: March 24 2003 at 9:05pm
You know what's really great?

Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion. It's also the best moisturizing lotion I've ever found. But I also noticed it helped strengthen my nails. It isn't the least bit greasy, as long as you don't use too much.

The jojoba oil is good, too. And it's great for hair.

-------------
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Date Posted: March 29 2003 at 4:55pm
I actually use Burt's Bees lipgloss on my nails. I buy the little tins and it works just great. :-)

Posted By: turquoise_girl
Date Posted: March 29 2003 at 7:59pm
when i was younger i thought vaseline was good too because it looked so shiny. that was quite a long time ago though. now i rub oil into my nails and it works great. i never wear nail polish on my nails so its wonderful for strengthening and making them shiny. i also used to put vaseline on my lips, etc. for moisturizing but i found out about how it is such a potential irritant.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window