Print Page | Close Window

Homemade Hair Recipes

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28728
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 11:57pm

Topic: Homemade Hair Recipes
Posted By: cmesweet
Subject: Homemade Hair Recipes
Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:46pm
If anyone has interest in recipes, have tried to make any, or seen some interesting ones they would like to try or, would like to gain knowledge on concoctions, just post it here.

Replies:
Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:47pm

Shealoe... haven't made it yet but did find that it is an equal amount of shea butter and aloe vera gel.

o and i found this recipe too...this one uses an emulsifier bringing the oils and liquids together.

Quote Sheaaloe.

I have tried to make sheaaloe with FOTE and it has separated. Here is something that worked for me.

1/2  cup shea butter
1/2  cup 100% aloe jelly/juice (I used Lily of the Desert)
1Tbs emulsifying wax
1Tbs honey
10-40 drops e.o.'s to your hearts content (i like ylang ylang and lavender.

Melt shea butter, honey, and wax in double boiler for 20 min.
Add aloe and e.o.'s and simmer for 3 min.
Let it cool naturally mixing with habd mixer every half hour or so. Should take a couple of hours to harden.

I think i will try making this sometime over the weekend.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:58pm

Ok i got this from nappturality...I am going to try this this weekend also.

i'm recently in love with this from head to toe for winter 'ash season'
thick & rich body oil / hair milk
1 Tb Shea butter, melted
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sweet almond oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Quote mix together. add fragrance. put into 8oz bottle with a disk top, b/c as it cools the mixture will thicken too much for one of those flip-spout top bottles. 

if you don't have this exact ratio of oils, the main idea is mixing a Tablespoon or two of melted shea butter into about 1 cup of liquid oil.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:02pm

Lip balm...from nappturality

Quote Coconut oil
Beewax (this gives it a solid form, so the more you use the more solid it would be)
Olive oil
Honey
FO (I used blueberry fragrance oil, found it at a local soap store in Norway)

Melt oils, waxes and honey. Whisk well or the honey would settle at the bottom of the jar. wink.gif Experience.

Or you can wait for it to cool and mix with a spoon or a fork. It's best to pour the oils in your container and let it cool there. Less mess

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: cebnn
Date Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:32pm

Today I was messing around with some hair stuff trying to make my own custom moisturizer.Well really something to put in my hair for blowdrying So I got out my spray bottle of Infusium 23 and poured a good amount of it out. I then added John Frieda Frizease Relax Texture Correcting serum, Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizer, Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil, Lustrasilk Moisture Maxx and some water. Shook it up and went to blow-dry my hair, but decided against it, because I’ve resisted about a month and a half and didn’t want to go back, so I let it air dry, and my hair has never felt softer. And to have mixed such different products the smell was great. This all was of course after a conditioner wash. I’m about 9 weeks post perm and am trying to minimize the shedding.So I've been cond washing and airdrying in a puff, and keeping my hair super mosturized. But the perm has got to be done this weekend. So I plan on going shopping for hair stuff. Saturday hopefully I can keep some money in my pocket.

-------------
http://lilypie.com">
Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile

Posted By: jasmine2g3
Date Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:47pm
where can i purchase 100% shea butter and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?

-------------

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*

Posted By: Honeydoo
Date Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:55pm

Avocado Hair Mask

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp honey

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp castor oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the honey and the oils (You can substitute with any oil you wish. ) If you have a blender you can puree this or just mix until creamy. Apply to your hair wet or dry under a plastic cap, then let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as normal.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:49am

Originally posted by jasmine2g3 jasmine2g3 wrote:

where can i purchase 100% shea butter 

You can purchase shea butter at african markets and there are sites, just look online to compare prices. Sometimes health food stores have it, i'm not sure if its refined or unfined tho. 

Quote and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?
It has a nutty scent usually, yes u can use it on.

Yes u can use it on your ends, I would rub it in my hands first tho (it melts from our body heat), or u will have white chunks on your hair.  A little goes a long way, so it won't take much for your ends.

@Honeydo, your recipes sounds good honeydoo, i really want to try it.

update...i tried making my shealoe, just a small amount. I melted a 1tbsp shea and added a 1tbsp of aloe vera gel (perchased from health store/GNC. I mixed it and then let it sit, cool off and i put it on 2 sections of hair that I braided up. My braid out is very defined, and feels moisturized.  I added it only to 2 sections because I wanted to feel the difference from the rest of my hair. Although all of my hair is soft, this feels softer and like i said is more defined. I would suggest anyone to try it, relaxed and natural.  I believe i will use it only for harsh cold winter tho, I really don't like alot of stuff in my hair.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: March 18 2005 at 7:22pm

Just wanted to add, if u are going to make a large batch of shealoe, and want it to last long u might want to use an emulsifier(a product that keeps oils and waters from seperating) (beeswax, borax and others that I am doing research on), after a while, if left alone it will seperate.

http://www.soapnuts.com/snspecialoils.html - http://www.soapnuts.com/snspecialoils.html

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: March 21 2005 at 10:42am

Update-

Ok i talked to someone who said instead of putting in 50/50 of the ingredient put in 60 percent of shea and 40 percent of aloe and stir with a fork, than place in fridge that way it wont seperate. I had mine for 2 days now and its just fine. 

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: QueenLinda83
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:36pm

Is there a reputable site/place to buy these butters from? 

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:14pm

There are sites they can also be found if you google it and put shea butter or essential oils in the search engine.

just to name a few

http://www.nasabb.com - www.nasabb.com

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com - www.fromnaturewithlove.com

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: carameldiva
Date Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:26pm
http://www.camdengrey.com - www.camdengrey.com is a good site to get butters from that i have used.

-------------
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Posted By: sugaplum
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:11pm

Here's a really good leave-in I made:

1 cup water (distilled or purified)

1/3 cup rosewater/glycerine

4 tablespoons light conditioner (like VO5 Nourishing Oasis Honey & Almond)

1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil

I put all these ingrediets in aspray bottle and shake very well.  This is great and is a really good detangler.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: May 05 2005 at 2:16pm

Here's another one for a pre-poo:

1 cup Conditioner (I use the VO5 Free Me Fressia CON)

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup EVOO

5 capsules of Biotin Vitamin (Mine are 5,000 mcgs each-this prevents shedding)

*Optional: I add Queen Helene Cholesterol to my ends*

I cover with a plastic bag.  I leave all this on for as long as I can.  Mainly anywhere from 4 hours to overnight.  And be ready to rinse this out and feel a slip that you will not believe.  I do this once a week.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: May 08 2005 at 3:53pm

oh if anyone is interested, someone at another website showed my an interesting link and i just purchased a gallon of shampoo concentrate, a gallon of castor oil and a gallon of conditioner concentrate. You just add water. but you can also add oil and fragance if you so desire. the website is http://www.thechemistrystore.com - www.thechemistrystore.com    and it's worth a look.

-------------

Date Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:23am
Fruit Smoothie Hair Mask
Blend 1/2 a banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil and 1 tablespoon yogurt. For extra conditioning, squeeze in the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Leave in hair for 15 minutes.

Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix 1/2 cup honey and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Shampoo well and rinse. 

Dandruff Treatment

Boil 7 heaping tablespoons dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage into scalp, do not rinse. Use the rest of the solution another day.

Yogurt Hair Mask

Beat 1 egg white until foamy. Add to 6 tablespoons plain natural yogurt. Apply to hair in small sections at a time. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask

Mix two whole eggs with four tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth through hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap, and leave in hair for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

Conditioners
creativehomemaking

~ Mayonnaise is a great conditioner for dry hair.  Depending on the length of your hair, apply approximately 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to your dry hair. Work into hair really well and then cover your hair with a plastic bag, allowing to set for about 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then shampoo as usual.

~ In a blender or food processor, combine 2 1/2 tablespoons dried milk, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil, and 1 egg. Apply evenly to hair and let set for at least an hour. Shampoo and style as usual.

Hair Setting Lotions
creativehomemaking

~ Try dissolving a teaspoon of gelatin in a cup of warm water and use this as a setting lotion before styling hair. You can use this as a liquid or chill it and use it as a gel.

~ Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup warm water and apply to damp hair before styling.

~ Combine 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey in a glass jar with a lid and shake until well blended. Let mixture sit for 3 to 4 days, and shake it occasionally. Rub mixture evenly into dry hair and wrap hair in plastic wrap, letting set for at least an hour. Shampoo as usual.

~ Mix together 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 egg.  Apply to hair and let set for about an hour.  Shampoo as usual.

~ To help a flaky scalp, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in the microwave (make sure it’s not too hot!) and then gently apply to scalp with cotton balls.  Let set for at least an hour and then shampoo as usual.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:18pm
does anyone know how to make rosewater? i bought some rose petals and they're soaking up the sun right now in some water. what is it supposed to look like? and how many days should i leave in under sunlight?

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:37pm

Is it in a jar that is closed...make sure it is tightly closed. Shake it at least once a day for 2 weeks. The color is similiar to the flowers that you placed in there. After doing that strain the roses out of the water and there u have rose water.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:39pm
Hello Ladies,

As I was searching the website for new products I will be using on my new natural, I came across the "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding." This looks wonderful...but I wish I could say that about the price!!

So I did a serch on "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Substitute" and I came across this:
__________________________________________________ _______________

I like the curly pudding and buttercreme but they are a bit much on the pocket book considering the amount of hair I have so I made my own. I think it's nice these girls hit on some thing but It's not really any thing new. Take a look for your self. I came up with 3 products that you can buy @ walgreens for under $7 bucks and mix together for a hold b/t the buttercreme and the pudding. If you want to buy Miss Jessies for special occations or something, great, but if you need an every day solution to looking good please try this at least once.

Miss Jessie’s:

Curly Pudding : 16 oz $28ea

Water, vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet alomond oil, milk protien, Vitamin E, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil, fragrance.

Baby Buttercreme: 16 oz $42ea

Acetylated lanolin bees wax, shea butter, cocoa butter, carbomer 940, castor oil, deionized water, dilauraralaneth15 , fragrance, glycerin, glycerin state, glyceryl hydrolyzed animal protien, imidazolidinyl,
Jojoba oil, laneth15, mineral oil, methyl, paraben , milk protien, panthenol, paraffin, peg-400, peg 100 state, petrolatum, placenta, propal paraben, triethanolamine, urea, vitamin E, wheat germ oil.

I’ve tried miss Jessie’s and I’ve made my own and mine works just the same, AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE INGREDIENCE @ SALLYS!.

PROCLAIM Curl Activator Gel 32 oz FOR $3

Water Aqua , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hyaluronic Acid , Panthenol , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Benzophenone-4 , Disodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin Fragrance Parfum ,

COCOACARE : cocoa butter stick 1 oz $0.99ea

PROCLAIM : petrolium bees wax 4oz $2.19

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

3 STICKS COCOA BUTTER

1/2 OF JAR OF BEESWAX 2oz

1 32 oz TUB CURL ACTIVATOR

Begin by taking the cocoa butter sticks and placing them in a bowl. Scoop out 1/2 jar of bees wax and place it in the same bowl. Microwave bees wax and cocoa butter until they are liquid. Use an other larger bowl to put the curl activator it. Leave some curl activator inside of the jar for later. Take liquid wax and cocoa butter and pour it into the bowl with the curl activator. Mix vigorously with a spoon. what you will first get while mixing these the two may look like cellulite but be persistant and keep mixing until the mixture looks exactly like vanilla pudding then mix in remander of activator gel in the jar.

If you do not microvave the bees wax well enough it will clump up when you add it to the cold gel activator it may bead up and not allow you to get the perfectly smooth consistancy that you want. If this happens put the whole solution in the microwave for 4 minutes then beging to mix again. after about 2 minutes of mixing add back in the curl activator you left out from before and it should begin to look like pudding.

Apply to wet hair and style using shingling process discribed @ curvesalon.com. or how ever you wish.

This recipe on one average head of hair will last for about 2 months, and costs under 10 dollars, with some bees wax left over to haddle those pesky edge naps. I hope this has been helpful and I hope it works for you.

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51364&sid=f3bd9b475eeb1492caf99a85b4ce4810 - http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/vi...af99a85b4ce4810

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:41pm

Update: I used half of the 4oz. jar of "It's A Black Thang", 3 sticks of "Helene Cocoa Butter" and I melted it in a glass bowl throughly. I then added  2 - 10 oz jars of "Smooth & Shine Curl Activator Gel" and stirred the butters until smooth and it looked like vanilla pudding.

Ladies this really works and my natural curls have more definition.  I apply this to my wet natural hair every morning.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: June 27 2005 at 6:39pm

Sounds good Sugaplum

Homemade hotoil treatment

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Process:

Gently heat the oil and the conditioner, stirring as you go along. Remember that oil heats very quickly and can burn quite easily: NEVER leave unattended. You are only heating it to the point of warming the oil and blending it with the conditioner. Once it is warm, remove from heat. Be sure you test the heat of the oil before putting it on your hair.

If it seems too warm, wait several minutes before applying. It is not recommended to use a microwave to heat the oil since temperatures are hard to control and you might wind up with part of it being much hotter than the other. Apply the warm oil to dry hair.

If your hair is long, thick or very damaged (as can happen to bleached, permed or dyed hair), it is best to use a comb to work it in and make sure that you have covered every strand, paying particular attention to the ends of the hair. Then you can wrap your hair in plastic wrap to help keep the heat in and leave it on for about 30 minutes. If your hair is shorter or not as damaged, you can just work it in and leave it for 5 minutes. When the time is up, you will need to shampoo the oil out. You will probably need to shampoo twice. The first time you use it, you might skip using additional conditioner. You don't want to weigh down the hair too much, but if you notice that it seems dry after shampooing it out, then you can use conditioner after shampooing.

For very damaged hair, use the treatment once a week at least, twice if it is very long or damaged. Otherwise, every two weeks is all that is required. If you have problems with your scalp, try adding some tea-tree oil to your hair treatments. Tea tree oil isn't cheap, but you will only use a small amount. It is a natural anti-fungal and can help greatly with dandruff-like problems and seborrhea. You can buy tea tree oil at health food stores.

You can also just do the ends of your hair (use less oil). You can make up a batch of it to keep on hand, just mix well if you notice the conditioner settling. Use a small squeeze bottle (you can reuse the bottles that have hair dye or perm solution, rinse out well) this will make it easy to apply.

As the condition of your hair improves, a once-a-month maintenance treatment is all that is needed

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: karonica
Date Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:09am
Thanks for the tea tree tip. I will have to order the natural tea tree oil because commercial tea tree products don't do a great deal of help for me.

Posted By: divaedout
Date Posted: July 12 2005 at 11:18pm
Where can you get its a black thing from-- Help a sista in Oklahoma out ...

-------------
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly

Date Posted: August 24 2005 at 6:08pm
Sugaplum: Does the second recipe for the Curly Pudding w/ the It's A Black Thang work better? Also, what is It's a Black thang? Is it beeswax b/c the 1st recipe included beeswax, activator and cocobutter. Thanks!

-------------

My hair idol
Transitioning
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*

Date Posted: September 20 2005 at 8:38pm
I made some out of red curl wax (ampro 4 oz), curl activator (World of Curls 16.5 oz) and different moisterizers and oils that I have. It really does make my perfect ringlets. When my hair is wet I get a good curl formation but once it drys it looks dry, puffy, and a hot afro mess. With this stuff--I guess the activator, I can have another styling option once my relaxer grows completely out. I'm trying to hang on to my relxed hair b/c it's so long and soft--only reason I want to go natural is b/c it breaks easily and it's really thin.

-------------

My hair idol
Transitioning
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*

Posted By: aseya
Date Posted: September 27 2005 at 8:04am
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Hey I just wanted to say that I decided to try the treatment and LOVED it. When I first used it my hair felt kinda dry after I shampooed, but then I conditioned and after my next shampoo my hair felt really soft. I couldn't stop touching it:) I'm going to try it once or twice a week and see how it goes. Thanks for the great recipe!

Date Posted: September 27 2005 at 9:03am

Karonica-  have you tried going to a health food store to get tea tree oil.  They usually, have all kinds of oils at helthfood stores. You are welcome for the tip by the way.

Aseya- you are so welcome. I have done this before without evening know other people do it and I loved it as well. I'm glad it worked for you...keep me updated with your progress.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: canopy44
Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 7:08am
cmsweet -- thanks for the post on the hot oil treatment. i've found that
my hair responds really well to hot oil treatments and i want to start
using them once a week -- but they are expensive! Well okay, they're not
like $20 or something, but for a little bit of oil, it should be a lot less, in
my opinion. I will have to try this out. But two questions:

(a) how long do you usually watch the oil for as it simmers?
(b) i guess i'm confused as to how it works. i thought the oils i buy have
all these special hair oils in them yet this one only uses olive oil. is it just
as healthy for your hair as the ones you buy in the store?

thanks so much!

Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 12:23pm
Canopy-
I've actually got her hot oil treatment recipe on my head right now! Hehe I am so in love with it. (although this is only the third time I've used it) I wasn't really getting results with just conditioner or plain oil, but mixing it together seems to work!

My dad was kinda freaking about me using our regular pots to heat up my "hair stuff" so I heated the oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then mixed it with the conditioner and that worked well too.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share what works with me:)

Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 12:53pm

Thanks Aseya for your assistance. Girl, I see you are really loving that treatment.

Canopy you can use any oil that works for you...when I first  started I use canola oil, yes the kind you cook with and it worked just find.  Just try to warm it a bit,45 seconds in the microwave is about right, don't try to make it so hot that you can't even touch it that would not be good at all.    I hope that helps.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 7:54pm

Aseya~ your glowing review convinced me to try this out! I'm now excited for Sunday (deep treatment day). Thanks for the microwave tip.

Cmesweet- you always give good advice so I am confident this will have great results. Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 11:54am

Hey guys -- I used the homemade hot oil treatment. What an experience! I had some slight problems with prep, not because of the directions, but because I'm a total klutz. After I got the mixture, I put it on my hair, popped on my shower cap and stepped in for a nice shower. When it came time to rinse my hair, my hair was SO SOFT...it was softer after the hot oil treatment than any conditioning wash has ever gotten it. I love this.

The next time I use this, instead of doing the hot oil treatment, perhaps I'll shampoo/condition at the beginning of the shower rituatal, then put on the hot oil and then shower. I'll rinse it out at the end so I can have that softness all day long. It's a really good mixture, A+.

Also, I had some issues putting it on my head. For those of you who have used it, how do you actually apply it? I had it in a small cup and I didn't think ahead about how to transfer it to my hair so I just dumped it over my head. I ended up with product running down my face and some got in my eyes.  Also, when you used it, did the conditioner bead up? Mine did and it was kinda cool.

cmesweet, thanks for the good tip!! My hair loves it!

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 3:54pm
Hey Canopy! I'm so glad you liked the recipe! Wow, it's not even MY recipe but I'm getting all excited:)

When I mixed it the first time the conditioner did turn into little beads. The next time, I let the oil get alittle warmer and just stirred and stirred and stirred until I got a smooth mixture.

What I do is put my hair in a pony tail and then pour some of the treatment into my hand and scrunch it onto my ends. Then I take my hair down and in small sections ,from the bottom up. I pour some more treatment into my hands and massage it into the section. Then I massage my scalp a little. Now that I think about it though, the top of my head tends to be drier, so I should probably start applying it there..

Cmesweet- I was telling my mom's friend about the recipe (her sister in law has broken hair due to an uneducated stylist) and the next day I had my hair in curls and they were all like 'wow your hair looks so pretty'. And my mom's friend was like 'see? it's all those oil treatments'! :)

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 9:46pm

Canopy- Glad to hear that you are liking the results! If you are having problems with the oil treatment, try using a spray bottle.  But I usually, use the method that Aseya uses because it seems quicker and I feel that I get each strand quicker.

Aseya- See, you are an inspiration to those around you! I need to see that style you were rocking girl. Send your friend over here and so we can hook her up.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 4:39pm
I read about this in a magazine a while ago. I tried it myself and it really helped my scalp.

For dandruff, an itchy scalp, etc...

Mix 1/4 cup of mouthwash with 1 cup of water and rinse hair with it before shampooing and conditioning as usual.

I apply that to my hair, massage it into my scalp and leave it on for five minutes before I rinse it out and shampoo. It makes my scalp feel soo tingly! :)

Cmesweet- That girl had her hair relaxed, but everytime she got it touched up the stylist would run the relaxer through to the ends. The poor girl has a whole section at the back of her head that has broken off and left only about 2 inches of regrowth. Right now she's deep conditioning like crazy and letting it just grow out. I will post photos of my hair as soon as I can figure out how to work my scanner (or as soon as someone shows me heheh)

Posted By: locsoflife
Date Posted: October 06 2005 at 6:16pm

I love this group so much!!!  The hot oil treatment is wonderful! I mixed shea butter, OV, carrot oil, and conditioner. It felt soooo good, and washed out fine. Thanks to all you ladies, my locs are going to be long, soft, and strong in no time!

Posted By: blackhoney112
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 1:48pm
I have purchased butter fromnaturewithlove.com but they are expensive try a natural food store first.

Originally posted by QueenLinda83 QueenLinda83 wrote:

Is there a reputable site/place to buy these butters from? 

Thanks!

Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 1:54pm
I am so happy to see that other ppl try alternative hair remedies other than what is in the shelf of a store...my old stylist thought it was weird that I would put my hot oil treatment on before shampooing and conditioning...I love this website! The recipes sound good but I would recomend adding in either shea or castor oil those are my favorite

Posted By: QueenLinda83
Date Posted: October 31 2005 at 7:19pm

The is my "pre-poo" concoction that I try to use everytime I shampoo (or whenever my hair needs some extra softness)

1 can of coconut milk, a good helping of my favorite oils (I use evoo, jojoba, wgo and some hot six oil), suave tropical cocnout conditioner, about 3 tablespoons of honey, and maybe a half a cup of a thick conditioner.  I heat this up on the stove until it boils, and then I let it cool.  I put it on my hair for about 1 hr (under a dryer) and then shampoo out.  My hair comes out so soft and moisturized!  I need to do this more often.

-------------

Posted By: princess8907
Date Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:43am

im gonna try the hot oil treatment.  It sounds great.

-------------
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Posted By: L281173
Date Posted: January 02 2006 at 7:03am
A great condition that I have tried is Plain yogurt mixed with an egg and vitamin e or tea tree oil.  Let this mixture sit on the hair about 45 minutes.  Heat is optional.  This regimen really moisturizes the scalp.

-------------
one classy, sassy female

Date Posted: February 17 2006 at 8:43pm

an oil blend, great for massaging.

Main purpose of this blend is to incorporate an essential oil, Ginger Oil, which is used for massages and to treat joint pain. It must be diluted with a carriar oil.

2 teaspoons of Vegetable oil ( which is a variation of soybean oil)

1/2 teaspons of coconut oil

2-3 drops of ginger oil

stir together, and use as a massgae oil on scalp on any part of body.

I have also used this on my scalp, followed by spritzing with water. My scalp appeared and felt very clean and moisturized.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:59am
ok- cmesweet- delicious recipe- give it up- where did you get the ginger oil from?

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2006 at 1:23pm
lol ... I ordered the Ginger oil from http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com - www.fromnaturewithlove.com  .  I believe there are 2 types of ginger oil...I used the China ginger.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: Creation
Date Posted: February 18 2006 at 10:18pm
Hi everyone ,

Newbie here.  I'm really excited to get to know all of you!  Everyone seems so nice

Anyway, in regard to the thread I saw this website that tells about natural hair care and has several recipes.  I haven't tried them yet but let me know how you like them.

Its motowngirl.com

And there is another web-site that does reviews on natural hair care products as well as on recipes.

That web-site is mynatural.com

Hope this helps!!

Creation

-------------
Righteousness isn't in what you do its a gift!

Date Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:37am

Welcome Creation to this site!  I know of motowngirls site...my interview is on there this month. Take a look at it if you like :)

Ok I have another Ginger recipe, from Shulta of NP   she is the owner of http://www.anitagrant.com - www.anitagrant.com . 

I spoke with her about making ginger tea. It tastes wonderful, you have to try it! Her directions were as follows:

1. Cut a half inch thick slice of Ginger Root and place it in a nice big ol' mug
2. Boil some water (enough to fill that big ol' mug happy.gif )
3. Whe the water has boiled add the boiled water to the mug that contains the sliced Ginger root.
4. Cover the mug with a small plate or tea dish or cling film while it brews.
5. Let it brew/steep for a min. of 5 mins or max of 15 mins.
6. Sip to taste
7. Strain out the Ginger (if you wish)
8. Add Honey and/or a Cinnamon stick or some fresh Lemongrass or a fresh pod of Vanilla (my fav. with a bit of honey - YUM-O-TEA!!!)

I used a slice of lemon and sweetened with honey. It was great...

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: Vanity3
Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 8:36pm

I try to use only natural and organic ingredients in my hair, since I'm not a fan of chemicals right now.  But this is my recipe for scalp oil.  I have dry skin and this helps.  I don't have messurements to give you since I just mix how I see fit.

Mostly Olive Oil

Vitamin E Oil

Carot Oil

Castor Oil

Coconut Oil or (Medium Chain Triglycerides that come in oil form, because coconut oil has to be melted down)

-------------
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920

Posted By: Jamgurl
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:03pm

BEER SHAMPOO

Select herbal shampoo (i.e. chamomile, lavender or rosemary)

Heat 1 1/2 cups of regular beer to boil

Boil until beer reduces to a 1/4 cup

Mix beer into 3/4 full shampoo bottle (no water necessary)

Massage well into wet scalp

Wait for 2 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water

BEER CONDITIONING RINSE

Grab old can/bottle of flat, stale beer

Pour beer over hair

Do not rinse

Add honey

Allow contents to soak into hair

Lightly towel-dry hair

Wait for beer to set

Beer Hair Rinse

1 oz distilled or clean catch rain water

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

7 drops lemon essential oil

1 ounce beer (stale works fine)

5 drops rosemary essential oil

5 drops calendula essential oil (optional, but recommended for blondes)

Mix all ingredients together. Use as a final rinse, rinse well. Beer adds protein to make hair shiny and make it feel thicker.

Posted By: kellie7777
Date Posted: July 14 2006 at 12:44am
i tried the hot oil treatment with the EVOO and the conditioner. OMG... i had oil running down my neck and everywhere. but i gotta tell you. my hair is soft and feels great. my whole body too. lol!! i must have used too much oil i think. sheesh. i was well oiled. i had to scrub the shower to prevent slipping.
I had some fun.... hee hee.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06

Posted By: Urbanplan
Date Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:15am
I have long been disappointed with the results of many "deep" conditioners. So after researching some of the ingredients, I found that many of the ingredients, regardless of brand whether $2 or $85, were just heavy lubricants and carrier waxes with molecular weights waaaay too large to penetrate a hair shaft. I looked to create my own products loosely based on formulas from sites like:

snowdriftfarm.com
thesoapdish.com
pvsoap.com
theherbarie.com
mountainroseherbs.com

Some of these sites have their own formulas but you can add/subtract whatever you like. I like the fact that I can make my conditioner with natural products and few preservatives and waxes instead of a lot of harsh surfactants, preservatives and carrier waxes and few natural "extracts."

-------------
I'm in!

Posted By: blackblondegrl
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 8:57pm
I use some mayo mixed with honey, olive oil, an egg yolk, and regular conditioner mixed really well whipped almost then applied to dry hair and left to work for a couple hrs or under the dryer 20 mins then shampoo out cheap and great

Posted By: Vanity3
Date Posted: January 09 2007 at 12:14am
I've actually tried the at home recipe for MTG and by golly...it doesn't smell and so far, it works as well.  I'll keep the group posted.

-------------
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920

Posted By: Hair Goddess
Date Posted: January 09 2007 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

Avocado Hair Mask

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp honey

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp castor oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the honey and the oils (You can substitute with any oil you wish. ) If you have a blender you can puree this or just mix until creamy. Apply to your hair wet or dry under a plastic cap, then let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as normal.

Yes.  Clap This is great.  I've used this recipe many times for dry hair...minus the castor oil and honey.
I sit under a heated electric cap for about 1-2 hours, although it's not required more than 30 minutes I really enjoy the heat to my scalp.

Date Posted: January 17 2007 at 7:36pm
This is a great thread...WOW Clap

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 1:27pm

I need to go purchase an avocado for the avocado mask. Has anyone tried it yet? It sound wonderful and also I want to do an herbal shampoo...what herbs should i shampoo with?

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: sakura07
Date Posted: April 03 2007 at 7:08pm
Fox's Shea Butter Conditioing Cream ( found here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4487 - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4487 )

1 part Shea Butter
1 part Conditioner
1/2 part Oil
A few drops of essential oils that compliment your hair type and scent preference

This stuff is heavenly. I would say use a Cone free conditioner, I used Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner. And whatever oils work for you. I used a mixutre of jojoba and sweet almond oil.

A word of advice, a little goes a long way so only use a little. Or else you will have waxy hair.

Posted By: hairbraider
Date Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:21am

I tried a new mixture..... 

a spoonful of rhassoul clay with enough water to make a thick paste, then added a spoonful of molasses

I washed my hair with it and used what was left over on my face.  My hair was gloriously soft and shiny with absolutely no frizz!  My face felt so soft and smooth too.

-------------
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
http://hairbraider.spaces.live.com - click here to go to My Hair Space

Posted By: simplired
Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 2:00am
HI JAsmine

I bought mine on the internet from Nasabb...  good price, and pure too
gotta be careful about whos you buy and never buy it in a premade product.

Posted By: sashi
Date Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:11pm
Hi,

I have got this recipe from this site called: http://www.cure-for.info
It has this great homemade recipe which are natural and side-effects. I have tried their this recipe which goes as:
  Take 100 gms of curd. Add about 1 gm of black pepper to it. Mix it well and apply it evenly on the hair and scalp. Keep it for an hour and then wash with warm water and mild shampoo.  Do this treatment once a week to see the remarkable difference in the texture and color of your hair . Your hair will become silkier and regular use will also make the hair dandruff-free. Curd helps in curing dandruff and making the hair softer while black pepper helps make the hair black. So one recipe gives 3 benefits - a) dandruff-free hair b) soft and silky hair and c) black hair. Doing this once a week helps in maintaining the hair color and delaying greying to a great extent. This recipe should be avoided by people who have a tendency to catch frequent colds and coughs. Curd causes a cooling effect on the head and this may worsen a cold situation.

I have tried this and It definitely seemed to be good as my hair has become silky and I can see a drastic change in the texture of my hair.
This site has some other good recipes also.

Sashi

-------------

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:30pm
yeah, but what type of hair do you have, Woman from india have totally different type of hair then the average  afro american......WackoThumbs%20Down

-------------
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 11:20pm
My hair texture is quite rough and it does not even fall well. But applying curd helped me in improving my texture of the hair, it has become silky and manageable.

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:26pm
Coconut delight conwash:

About 1 or 1/2 cup coconut milk (the thick, creamy fat)
apprx 1/4 cp VO5 moisture milk strawberry and cream or VO5 champange kisses con (or any light condish that has slip that is cone free)
apprx 1 tbsp kenra mc (or any thick, creamy deep condish that is cone free)
apprx 1/4tsp castor oil
apprx 1/2 tsp olive oil
apprx 1 tbsp honey
appx 1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses

I love doing this conwash it is such a treat for the hair.

Enjoy

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
pw:Romeo

Date Posted: June 13 2007 at 10:51pm
hi,

One very good recipe for controlling hair fall can be as follows:

Coconut milk is another magic potion for your hair. Take a dry coconut and grate it. Grind to a fine paste and then sieve through a soft fine cloth to collect the milk of the coconut. Make around 1-2 cups of milk depending on the length of your hair. Apply the milk on the scalp and hair and leave to dry. Keep it for about 2 hrs and then rinse your hair with normal water (do not apply shampoo). This will leave the pure coconut oil in your hair. Keep the oil for 24 hours and shampoo the following day. This process will make your hair softer and smoother to touch and you will see an almost immediate drastic reduction in your rate of hair fall.  For chronic cases of hair loss, do this once a week. Eventually once the problem is resolved completely, you can do this once in 2 or 3 weeks. It helps not only in reducing hair fall but also improves the overall health and texture of hair.

-------------

Posted By: *GEICY*
Date Posted: June 27 2007 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Sounds good Sugaplum

Tnks.. I'm definitely gonna try this oneWink

Posted By: lusciouscurlz
Date Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:48pm
yES!!

Finnally, this is what Dominicans use on their hair- natural ingredients- NOT Dimethicone based products that are a quick temporary fix.

aLL THESE INGREDIENTS DO A BODY GOOD- i MEAN Hair!

Posted By: kittenbubbles
Date Posted: August 05 2007 at 3:39pm
good info

Date Posted: August 31 2007 at 3:53pm
Here's another favorite of mine:

For Very Dry Hair - Avocado Hair Mask:

Mash one very ripe avocado, 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil, a banana, and 1 tbs. honey together in a blender. Blend until the mask has the texture of a cake batter, with no chunks. Apply one quarter of the mask to dry locks for 10 minutes, then shampoo and condition as usual.  I also added coconut oil.

Moisturizing Hair Pomade

4oz melted unrefined shea butter
2oz jojoba oil
2oz coconut milk
couple drops of fragrance oil

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whip the mixture thoroughly. Throw into a container and allow rehardening.

The Hair Smoothie

1 ripened banana
1/4 cup plain yogurt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons honey
3 teaspoons milk

1. Cut banana into small pieces.
2. Put all ingredients into a blender.
3. Blend until you get a thick smoothie-like result

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Date Posted: September 01 2007 at 1:03am
I'll definitely try this recipe. Thanks for the information.

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2007 at 10:56am
Hi sashie

I tried the coconut. WOW!  no breakage at all. It has been a month since I tried it and now I will reapply it again.

So I am sold on the coco nut milk
I simply bout the coconut cream, since I was to lazzy to grate a raw cocnut

The cream worked the same miracle.  I did leave it on my hair 24 hrs.

-------------
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra

Date Posted: September 03 2007 at 1:10am
Thanks Simplired.
I am happy that you gave the recipe a try.
It is very good for contolling hair fall of any kind. And you must repeat it after every 15 days for faster results and if your hair fall comes under control then you can reduce he frequency of applying it.

-------------

Posted By: BABYGIRL718
Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 8:59am

Hi Simplired! I am new here.  I love the coconut milk recipe that Sashi recommended. *Hi Sashi*!.  Where did you get the coconut cream from?  Can you buy it from the supermarket or health food store?

Date Posted: September 07 2007 at 10:19am
Hi,
You can get coconut cream from any supermarket or health food store.or you can get coconut and remove it yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2007 at 4:42pm
Wink Hi Sugaplum.
That's a lot of stuff, but it sounds good.

Posted By: Anomis
Date Posted: September 14 2007 at 2:45pm
i am going to try the pudding buy getting my own ingredients together

thanks for posting

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2007 at 12:30am
I am going to try the hair smoothie

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2007 at 5:02am
i am so friggin busy with work, and school,
but i do love using tea tree, and honey

-------------

Posted By: primNproper
Date Posted: September 26 2007 at 11:20am
I was literally just thinking about this topic last nite.  "I need to go to a site where I can find home hair care remedies"
Neway, these all look interesting and I would love to start trying them, but I had a few questions I hope you all can answer for me. When I eat fish, which I ate a ton of when I lived in Korea, my hair grew liek a weed, now that I'm state side and dining on McDonalds and other fast foods, I feel like my hair growth is slowing. Is there anything I can mix and apply directly to my hair to stimulate growth, I also would love a recipe for something that would stop shedding, I don't really comb my hair too often, so when I do I kind of shed a lot at once, guess it just kind of builds up. Comb about once every two weeks.
Any tips or tricks would be really appreciated.
I also have started using that Dr. something miracle growing stuff (sorry i can't remember the name) anyone have any experience with that? is it worth the money?

Date Posted: September 26 2007 at 11:53am
some sheading as u well know is natural, but we usually know when we are really losing hair abnormally.
Alteration in nutrition can affect hair growth, there are other foods that may provide the same key nutrients that promote healthy hair growth as fish, or its equivilent.
May have to do some searching and researching on the WWW, and there may even be some topics here that address those issues.

By the By, how do you manage to not comb your hair for 2 week stretches? I wear cloth on my head quite a bit, with a barrier between my hair and the material to prevent dryness and braekage.......bu I still keep it clean, and neatly platted underneath.
Tell me what you do, maybe it will be something I can use too.

-------------

Posted By: Passionflower
Date Posted: March 12 2008 at 11:52am
I know this is an old blog, but I stumbled upon it a few days ago and thought the coconut milk recipe would help with my hair breakage.  I'm a newbie, so to speak.  Transitioning.  It's been three months since my last relaxer.  I am trying to prevent breakage as much as possible and postponing the chop for as long as I can.  I bought concentrated coconut cream because it was easier for me to do rather than grate a coconut (kinda like the other poster).  My question is, do you do apply this on wet hair or dry hair?  And, even though it is suggested this be left on for 24 hours, can you rince out before?  Like in 7 or twelve?  Hoping someone can get back to me on this.

Posted By: Abimbola Olurin
Date Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:42am
Hi, I'm new here too. Nice to meet you guys! I made a concoction with Jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, 5 drops of tea tree oil, 5 drops of lavender, coconut oil, and olive oil. I put it in the mane and tail spray bottle and i use it in the mornings. I've been using it for a week now and my hair feels really nice. I was wandering how long I can keep this up before I should wash it out. Can anyone help? 

Date Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:13am
Since your using all oils in your mix you will probably need to wash at the end of the week and do a deep conditioner for moisture.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
pw:Romeo

Posted By: Born Kinky
Date Posted: June 25 2008 at 9:28am
Very Simple and Effective!!!
Hair Sheen Rinse:
1 Teaspoon of Honey
4 Cups of Warm Water
Just mix the ingredients together and pour through clean hair.  Do not rinse this out and let it dry normally.  You will have a great smell and great shine.

Posted By: Poetry
Date Posted: June 26 2008 at 5:24pm

I'm a newbie and i've been looking for homemade shampoo and conditioner recipes. I'm a teen, so my hair is very very very important to me. I've been getting relaxers and I want to keep getting them, but i also want my hair to grow longer and stronger, maybe a bit below my shoulders. Do you have any suggestions on the fastest way to grow my hair. I want to use stuff that doesn't cost much(because my parents have to buy it) and stuff that is easy to find. Please help me!

-------------
My life is poetry in motion.

Posted By: stinastina
Date Posted: July 18 2008 at 10:39pm
Sugalpum -

I substitute shea butter for cocoa butter and use any cheap styling gel instead of it's a black thing. It comes out great as a hair softener that holds curls.

-------------
Indian Oils & Powders: www.stinastina.ecrater.com

Posted By: ShellzD
Date Posted: August 16 2008 at 10:17am
hey guys! i am new as well.

I was inspired to make my own concoction:

1 oz avocado oil
2 oz jojoba oil
1 tsp Vitamin E
15-20 drops of teatree oil

The ingredients were placed in an application bottle shaken, then warmed and applied as a hot oil treatment.
After that, I read this thread, and warmed some conditioner with this oil -p experienced some beading - applied to thehair. I let it sit under a shower cap for 2 hours. I then gave 1 shampoo rinse, and put some conditioner,  again covered my hair with a shower cap then rinsed. I allowed my hair to dry over night. I slept with a satin head tie on. this morning my hair is wonderfully soft and ready to be styled.

-------------
I'm the human charged with protecting my hair

Posted By: gertiles
Date Posted: September 12 2008 at 12:32pm
Lemon is a natural bleach. Mix equal parts lemon juice and honey and apply to lip. Problem is you have to do it every day because it isn't as strong as the chemical bleachers you can buy. Leave on for ten to fifteen minutes. The good thing is that eventually it will inhibit the facial hair growth. Mustache will be gone!

-------------
%20http://www.ovariancystatoz.com - Ovarian Cyst A to Z

Posted By: _Princess_
Date Posted: September 17 2008 at 8:13pm
Good stuff...gonna try a few of these

-------------

Posted By: Puff
Date Posted: October 06 2008 at 3:52pm

I need to find something to hold my hair in place with out the flaking of gel. I like Let's Jam, but it doesn't hold my hair after a matter of hours. I'd prefer to avoid products with chemicals, and stay closer to the natural route. Also, does that Miss Jessie's Pudding flake? I might could use that if it'll work for my twist.

-------------
Happy to be Nappy!

Posted By: butterfly73
Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 10:22am
This site has been a true blessing to me.  In the last three years, I have made some feats of success with my hair's health and length!

Thanks to all of you women of color sharing your stories, knowledge and recipes to help others have a stronger confidence in our appearance!

ROCK ON!

-------------
Shining Always...Humbly awaiting your reply

Butterfly73

Date Posted: October 17 2008 at 1:29pm
I got a sample of Jessies last year.  It proceeded to take my hair out.  The last time I saw it was in my garbage.

Posted By: Gldspoon
Date Posted: October 28 2008 at 8:53am
Yikes HairGoddess. Sorry to hear about what happened with the product. Just goes to show that one mans gold is another  mans garbage. Hope your hair is having a good recovery.

I think the lesson to get from this is probably trying a patch test on our hair just like we'd do for our skin.

-------------
Welcome to My World! http://www.black-women-beauty-central.com - Beauty Tips for Black Women

Posted By: Jaidey
Date Posted: December 01 2008 at 7:01am
Good afternoon, I am a Newbie and would like some information... I am from South Africa so our time zones would be totally out. Right now the time is almost 3 in the afternoon and where most of you guys are its almost 7 in the morning. My daughter has very thick EXTREMELY curly hair. As soon as I wash / wet her hair it goes all wild. Bare in mind she's only 4... and has a sister the age of 2 - her (my 2 year old) hair is still manageable because its still short. Now back to my 4 year old. Her hair is very strong and reaches about 10 fingers away from her buttocks. This makes it even harder to take care of. Heres the dillemma, I have been dabbling with thoughts of relaxer for a very long time now. Almost 8 months. I am at my wits end trying homemade remedies that dont seem to work on her extremely dry hair. Is there someone out there who can help me. Pleeeeeeease Confused I dont know where else to turn and I found this site almost by accident.

-------------
I dont SUFFER from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

Posted By: 911hair
Date Posted: December 18 2008 at 8:48pm
hey whatsup
I'm kinda new here :)
and I need help
I luv the homeade recipes
I'm gonna try some of them soon
mainly the hot oil one
but I'm not really sure as to how to do it
my hair isn't that bad
I just want it healthier and more volume
it is breaking off though because not too long ago i got highlights
any advice???

Posted By: bl@siangirl
Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 10:44am
hey  i dont use shampoo in my hair at all i found that the SLS  were to drying and and too harsh for my hair  in stead i wash my hair with i part baking soda and 3 parts water gets all the dirt and grime off my scalp great and i rinse with 1 part apple cider vinegar  and 3 parts water makes my hair SUPER shiny:] HTH

Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Poetry Poetry wrote:

I'm a newbie and i've been looking for homemade shampoo and conditioner recipes. I'm a teen, so my hair is very very very important to me. I've been getting relaxers and I want to keep getting them, but i also want my hair to grow longer and stronger, maybe a bit below my shoulders. Do you have any suggestions on the fastest way to grow my hair. I want to use stuff that doesn't cost much(because my parents have to buy it) and stuff that is easy to find. Please help me!

hey poetry im new too   i dont use shampoo in my hair at all i found that the SLS  were to drying and and too harsh for my hair  in stead i wash my hair with i part baking soda and 3 parts water gets all the dirt and grime off my scalp great and i rinse with 1 part apple cider vinegar  and 3 parts water makes my hair SUPER shiny:] HTH

to grow your hair excercise take vitamins massage your scalp daily mouisture your ends
i like the cantu products you can find them at walmart

Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 5:51pm
hey i heard baking soda was good for your hair also
i wanna do somethin with my hair now
the rain frizzed it up
but with the baking soda..idk about apple cider
but is their any other alternative

Date Posted: December 19 2008 at 8:03pm
okay so
i have the hot oil treatment in my hair
kinda skeptical about how its going to turn out
i used pure vegetable oil and baby conditioner :/
now im just waitin
anxious ta see how it will turn out

Date Posted: December 20 2008 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by 911hair 911hair wrote:

hey i heard baking soda was good for your hair also
i wanna do somethin with my hair now
the rain frizzed it up
but with the baking soda..idk about apple cider
but is their any other alternative

baking soda will take the grime out of your hair w/o stripping the natural oils and acv is will soften it and shine  dont worry about the smell it goes away in a min

but alternatives are beer, black tea my friend hair is using this and her hair is so much softer since has been using them

Date Posted: December 23 2008 at 9:57pm
oh okay
cool
is it a bad smell tho?
any kind of black tea?...(brands?)

Print Page | Close Window