Print Page | Close Window

What is the best hair oil/oils?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30861
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 9:39am

Topic: What is the best hair oil/oils?
Posted By: sugaplum
Subject: What is the best hair oil/oils?
Date Posted: May 19 2005 at 6:12pm

Hello Ladies,

I just wanted to know what your favorite hair oil/oils is and why.  Mine is EVOO because it leave my hair very shiny and I mix it in all my conditioners and pre-poo treatments and as for Other mine is Kemi Oyl becuase it does wonders for my ends and the smell is dreamy.

Thank you ladies in advance.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Replies:
Posted By: Jewell
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 12:15pm
My favorites are: Wild Growth Hair Oil and Dabur Vatika Oil

-------------
Type: 3c, Relaxed
Current Length: Lower Back (Close to Waist)
Goal: Classic Length

http://public.fotki.com/Jewell21
PW: trulyblessed

-No Stylists.
-Self-Relaxer.
-Simple Hair Care.

Posted By: Cinnamon
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 12:22pm
You know I love my grapeseed oil.  It put a nice coating on my ends without leaving them dry.

Posted By: QueenLinda83
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 12:23pm
It was hard for me to choose jsut one!  I use a combo of EVOO (my staple), jojoba, WGO, and Hot 6 oil on my hair.  Works like a charm!

-------------

Posted By: Princess1
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 7:40pm
jojoba all the way!! I also like Kemi-Oyl because it smells so good! its a mix of essential oils that really coats the cuticle well!

-------------
To whom much is given, much is expected.
www.fotki.com/princess121

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 8:22pm
you forgot to add shea butter. i classify it as an oil just in a solid form. To me, this is the best and second best is wgho

Posted By: Annalie
Date Posted: May 20 2005 at 8:41pm

The best by far is Aphogee's EFA mix. 

It mada a marked difference in the health and shine of my hair.  I will always use it!

I also like evoo, coconut oil and and mo' body vitale oil.

Posted By: Adora
Date Posted: May 22 2005 at 11:30am

i'm another EVOO believer...i mix it with my conditioner and i love the look/feel of my hair as a result.

annalie, EFA is that essential fatty acid or something else?  and where do you get that from?

Posted By: sugaplum
Date Posted: May 23 2005 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Renee Renee wrote:

you forgot to add shea butter. i classify it as an oil just in a solid form. To me, this is the best and second best is wgho

Gurl how could I forget!!   "Other" would be the best bet. I heard this stuff was the best too.

-------------
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures

Posted By: cebnn
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 12:04pm
I like Sheabutter (whatever you consider it) WGHO, and Jojoba oil. Also I tried liquid Shea for a prepoo treatment, `5 min under the dryer my hair felt as really soft after shampooing, even before I used conditioner.

-------------
http://lilypie.com">
Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile

Posted By: Layla
Date Posted: May 25 2005 at 12:35pm
Do you put the liquid shea on wet or dry hair? I think I'm going to try this with shea butter.

-------------
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:44pm
I put it on dry hair with sone suave humectan I hated but didn't want to waste. I know it was the Liquid Shea that softened my hair b/c I had been doing pre-poo with just the humectant and it never came out that soft before.

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 1:17pm
I did it with normal shea butter and my hair came out so thin (in a good way).

-------------

Posted By: Honeydoo
Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 8:55pm

This is so hard! I like to use carrot oil, WGHO, EVOO, castor oil, jojoba oil, AND coconut oil!! But I had to vote for castor because it works great for everything on the body and the hair. Even from the inside out.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay

Date Posted: May 26 2005 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

I did it with normal shea butter and my hair came out so thin (in a good way).

hmm.. what exactly did you do? was your hair wet or dry? I want to know everything! lol.. details!! 

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2005 at 3:36pm

I did it sorta like the baggie method but on all my hair. I rubbed it in my hands for awhile so it was melted and just put it all over my hair. I put a shower cap on and sat around with it for a couple of hours. My hair was dry.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it was the shea butter. I mean it did make my hair all moisturized and all that good stuff but I think it was just my shampoo and conditioner. I use ARTec textureline smoothing but I hadn't used it in a while because I've been CO washing with TRESemme w/b12 and gelatin (great stuff) and Redken Heavy Cream (I love this stuff). It's weird because when you're in the shower the ARTec doesn't make your hair feel great but when you get it out it's so much smoother and it dries so soft and fluffy.

-------------

Posted By: BrownEyez2
Date Posted: May 31 2005 at 8:26pm

Hard to choose just one! My favorites are coconut, jojoba and Shea butter. Jojoba and coconut because they've both improved the health of my hair. Shea for it's softening properties.

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~

Posted By: nyx`
Date Posted: June 06 2005 at 10:33am
I like ahogee essential fatty acids the most for mixing with conditioners and relaxers, that stuff leaves your hair a lot more moisturized and softer than other oils.  I like hot six oil for when I'm just oiling my hair because it's light and it has a nice smell. 

Posted By: cmesweet
Date Posted: June 07 2005 at 4:15pm
Olive oil or jojoba oil.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: hairlover1
Date Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:15pm
i like olive oil by ors and wild growth oil

Posted By: maybeline46
Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:21pm
Anybody use just straight vitamin E? I bought some and just started using it.

Posted By: hairlover1
Date Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:46pm
i use wgo/jojoba mix

-------------
current:24" (transitioning)
goal:34" (waistlength)
total goal: natural, waistlength hair.

Posted By: Lili82
Date Posted: June 16 2005 at 12:58pm
My favorite is jojoba. It leaves my hair silky and moisturized, and not greasy.

Posted By: Renee
Date Posted: June 19 2005 at 11:05am
when i use jojoba daily, it dries my hair :( does anyone use sweet almon oil? i heard its not as thick as jojoba and its very moisturising

-------------

Posted By: jennwil
Date Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:38am
I am interested in getting a hair oil for my scalp. It seems that I have an allergic reaction to petrolaeaum and minearal oil. I really need a scalp pil that can combat dry scalp, psorairs, and can promote growth for sensitive scalp.

Posted By: sakura07
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 12:22pm
I don't have a favorite yet because Im just finding out about hair oils and all.. But I will get back to you guys when I do have a favorite.

Posted By: jennwil
Date Posted: June 24 2005 at 3:30pm
My mother told me to buy just straight vitamin E oil. I do not know if any one used it yet, but does it help with scalp irritation and hair growth.

Posted By: Supersugar
Date Posted: July 13 2005 at 10:27pm
I use sweet almond essential oil diluted with jojoba.  It smells good and works nicely on both hair and scalp.  Nice stuff.   I've tried EVOO repeatedly, but it makes my hair feel really stiff.

-------------
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.

Posted By: *NOT*Principle
Date Posted: July 27 2005 at 1:35pm
I voted for grapeseed oil.  But really, I use a mixture of grapeseed and rosemary oil, and put it in an applicator bottle.  It works like WGO, but not as funky smelling.  I've tried adding the rosemary oil to my WGO but it seems to effect my results.  So for me, it's my own little mixture that's my favorite oil to use

-------------
"To each his own"
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Posted By: tgurl
Date Posted: August 01 2005 at 3:49pm

right now im using kemi oyl,and so far it's doing good on my hair,and it does smell good

Posted By: smahone2
Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 8:49am

Why is Mineral Oil so bad for your hair??  I have heard a lot of ladies say they try not to use products with Mineral Oil in it.

Date Posted: August 05 2005 at 11:18am
Originally posted by smahone2 smahone2 wrote:

Why is Mineral Oil so bad for your hair??  I have heard a lot of ladies say they try not to use products with Mineral Oil in it.

i think that they say mineral oil is bad cause it clogs of your pores.but i use some products with mineral oil in them and they do just fine.

Posted By: smahone2
Date Posted: August 09 2005 at 9:41am

Where do i get Coconut Oil and Castor Oil?  I can't seem to find it.

Posted By: KBaby
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 8:29pm
I use Doo Gro oils.  They are very good.  I've used the Mega Thick Growth, Anti Itch Growth & Stimulating Growth Oils.  I can't say I noticed a difference in "growth" or "thickness", but they are good with leave-in conditioners, helping with detangling.  The only Doo Gro product that I've used that actually combatted hair loss & did so QUICKLY, is the DOO GRO Mega Thick Medicated Hair Vitalizer Anti-Thinning Formula.  I used it & in about 3 weeks the thinning spot thickened!  I keep it on hand and use it for my daughter's hair.

-------------
HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!

Posted By: Polyesterdiva
Date Posted: September 03 2005 at 2:27pm

Just curious....I am an oil/grease phobic! I'd love to put a product in my hair that moisturizes it and also helps lay my press but will not feel sticky in my fingers when I run my hands through it.

Can I ask you ladies which oil you believe has the best performance and is the least greasy?

Posted By: Nita81
Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 10:12pm

I use this oil blend the name is Natural Locks Hair Oil. It's a blend of african shea butter, olive oil, rosemary oil, cotton seed oil, peppermint, indian hemp, comfrey, amla, brahme, pumpkin seed oil, sesamun, indium, nymphaea, nouchali, vitamin e & egyptian frangrance.

It smells very good. For those in the Atlanta area I got if from Sevananda in Little 5 Points. It's 12.59 for 12 oz. 

ETA: This oil blend is non greasy!!!

-------------

Posted By: BrownEyez2
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 6:48pm

Wow, Nita81 that oil sounds great--very good ingredients. Does it have a pleasant smell? And is the smell light or heavy?

~tia~

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~

Posted By: Nita81
Date Posted: September 14 2005 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

Wow, Nita81 that oil sounds great--very good ingredients. Does it have a pleasant smell? And is the smell light or heavy?

~tia~

It smells like baby oil....a "grown" version if you will. It comes from the egyptian oil fragrance. I love that hair oil it's the best I've used so far b/c the smell isn't overwhelming and it's not greasy at all. Doesn't weigh the hair down either.

-------------

Posted By: Hair Goddess
Date Posted: September 22 2005 at 2:55pm

EV=Olive Oil?  Wheatgerm Oil?  Jojoba Oil?  Grapeseed Oil? Vitamin E Oil?  Carrot Oil?  What is a gurl to do?    I have the dryest hair on the planet!!!

Motor Oil?  Just kidding.

Well I've tried WGO a few years ago.  Could not use the whole bottle. My nose says it smells like an old bag lady or someone who doesn't bathe.

Posted By: Hair Goddess
Date Posted: September 22 2005 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by tgurl tgurl wrote:

right now im using kemi oyl,and so far it's doing good on my hair,and it does smell good

tgurl,

Does this Kemi Oyl keep your hair very moist?  I have such dry hair.

Thanx

HG

Date Posted: September 22 2005 at 8:47pm
I used some sweet almond oil...from the hispanic section of the ethnic isle. it was prett thick and they have a nice fragrance and it worked well in the winter, when i actually used it.

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Posted By: jasmine2g3
Date Posted: September 22 2005 at 11:54pm

This is what I found on a hair website http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/homerecipes.html - http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/homerecipes.html

To keep your curls healthy, try the following natural http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/essential-oils.html - essential oil moisturizers:

• Patchouli Oil - Adds moisture and sheen to dreads.
  • Sage Oil - Stimulates growth and is said to kill bacteria.
  • Rosemary Oil - Adds sheen to hair, stimulates growth is said to be good at fighting dandruff.
  • Sweet Almond Oil - Great for fighting a dry, itchy scalp. Contains vitamins E and F. Also good for itchy scalp.
  • Primrose Oil - Conditiions and moisturizes hair.
  • Jojoba Oil - Great for adding moisture to a dry scalp. Jojoba oil smoothes and conditions hair.
  • Avocado Oil - Contains vitamins A, D, and E.

• Birch Oil - Great anti-dandruff scalp soother.
  • Calendula Oil - Light astringent. Is said to soothe the scalp and eczema problems.
  • Olive or Extra Olive Oil - An excellent leave-in conditioner.
  • Emu Oil - Natural & non-toxic, non-comedogenic (does not clog pores)...fights dandruff.

These essential oils are great at adding moisture and sheen to locks and other natural styles.

• -------------

My hair idol
    Transitioning
    Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
    Texture:3c
    *~*~* Jazz*~*~*

Posted By: blackhoney112
    Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 12:06pm
    I love to use those essential oils (jojoba, almond, shea) to do a hot oil treatment on my hair before I shampoo and condition. For everyday use I love Parnevu (spelling?) T-tree oil it conditions my hair and leaves it shiny and healthy without leaving my hair feeling heavy.Also Motions CPR daily moisturizer is great!

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 12:11pm
    I love sweet almond oil it helps to prevent spilt ends. I found my oils at natural food stores!

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

I used some sweet almond oil...from the hispanic section of the ethnic isle. it was prett thick and they have a nice fragrance and it worked well in the winter, when i actually used it.

Posted By: jasmine2g3
    Date Posted: October 17 2005 at 12:49am

Originally posted by jennwil jennwil wrote:

My mother told me to buy just straight vitamin E oil. I do not know if any one used it yet, but does it help with scalp irritation and hair growth.

The only time i use pure vitamin E is I wash my hair. I put some on my edges when it's wet but not on the rest of my hair b/c the oil is too thick. I use to use the kind straight out the capsule but I have some in a 1oz bottle and it's really thick when if I try to warm it in the palm of my hands.

-------------

My hair idol
    Transitioning
    Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
    Texture:3c
    *~*~* Jazz*~*~*

Posted By: NixxNixx
    Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 11:04pm
    Olive and Clove Oil Therapy by Organics Africa's best.  It has all the great oils.  It stops hair dryness and split ends.  You don't need a lot...cause too much could weigh down the hill but just a little and it goes a long way and it smells nice.

Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 12:20pm
    Originally posted by Hair Goddess Hair Goddess wrote:

Originally posted by tgurl tgurl wrote:

tgurl,

Does this Kemi Oyl keep your hair very moist?  I have such dry hair.

Thanx

HG

yeah the kemi oyl does keep your hair moist.you can do hot oil treatments with it to moisten hair.also the kemi oyl keeps my hair moist for about 2 days then the third day it's dry.you may want to use it every 2 days to keep hair moist.

Posted By: Sweet_Ambrosia
    Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 6:25pm
    I've been using coconut oil for about a month and I love it, it keeps my hair soft, moisturized and shiny, so its get my vote, surprised no one voted for it! 

-------------
    *Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
    *100 Natural~3c/4a
    *Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08

Posted By: Silver
    Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 1:27am
    wow, so many different things you can use, but dont they work differently on different hair types

-------------
    A new site for hairdressers http://www.hairdressersforum.co.uk

Posted By: princess8907
    Date Posted: November 29 2005 at 7:40am
    sweet almond oil and olive oil.  My hair is so soft and shiny because of them

Posted By: Adora
    Date Posted: November 29 2005 at 12:15pm

Originally posted by Sweet_Ambrosia Sweet_Ambrosia wrote:

I've been using coconut oil for about a month and I love it, it keeps my hair soft, moisturized and shiny, so its get my vote, surprised no one voted for it! 

i recently 'rediscovered' coconut oil, and it worked surprisingly well on my hair.  I typically use olive oil for my deep conditioning...but i'm gonna try coconut oil the next time i wash because i like the results so much when i'm just applying it to directly to (relatively) dry hair. 

Date Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:24am
    I might try coconut oil then

-------------
    4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Date Posted: December 16 2005 at 2:01pm
    I've got a question about castrol oil. How exactly would you use it? And how does it affect your hair? I wanted to buy some but I've got to make sure theres a use for it.

Posted By: carameldiva
    Date Posted: December 16 2005 at 8:07pm
    Sakura-Castor oil- I apply it to dry hair , scalp and concentrating on my ends- the nite prior to shampooing- apply a thin, plastic cap and go to sleep-shampoo in the a.m.- It thickens, softens and moisturizes your hair. Hope this helps.

-------------
    Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Date Posted: December 17 2005 at 6:59am
    Thanks carameldiva, that did help. I think i might ask my mom to buy me some. Though I don't think I need the thickening element of it/

Posted By: saunbeauty
    Date Posted: December 22 2005 at 4:51am

Originally posted by Renee Renee wrote:

when i use jojoba daily, it dries my hair :( does anyone use sweet almon oil? i heard its not as thick as jojoba and its very moisturising

I have been using sweet almond oil for over a year.  I may be in the minority on this but I like the results of this oil over jojoba. 

Date Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:41am
    I haven't used Sweet Almond oil in a while...Lately I have been using extra Virgin Coconut oil. The scent is wonderful and it seems to work wonders, especially for a pre-poo treatment.

-------------
    Natural
    BC May 9, 2004

Date Posted: December 23 2005 at 1:34pm
    Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

I love to use those essential oils (jojoba, almond, shea) to do a hot oil treatment on my hair before I shampoo and condition. For everyday use I love Parnevu (spelling?) T-tree oil it conditions my hair and leaves it shiny and healthy without leaving my hair feeling heavy.!COLOR=MAGENTA]Also Motions CPR daily moisturizer is great!

Wow I can't believe I use to think that lol

-------------
    http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
    pw:Romeo

Posted By: taggi
    Date Posted: January 01 2006 at 5:38pm
    so which oil actuall HELP THE HAIR GROW!?! im reading all the entries about moisture this and condition that,but which oil aids in hair growth? as far as moisturizers, there are tons of products to use,but not a clear hair growth product that actually works. at least i havent heard if one on here.

Date Posted: January 01 2006 at 9:16pm
    Originally posted by jasmine2g3 jasmine2g3 wrote:

This is what I found on a hair website http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/homerecipes.html - http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/homerecipes.html

To keep your curls healthy, try the following natural http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/essential-oils.html - essential oil moisturizers:

• Patchouli Oil - Adds moisture and sheen to dreads.
  • Sage Oil - Stimulates growth and is said to kill bacteria.
  • Rosemary Oil - Adds sheen to hair, stimulates growth is said to be good at fighting dandruff.
  • Sweet Almond Oil - Great for fighting a dry, itchy scalp. Contains vitamins E and F. Also good for itchy scalp.
  • Primrose Oil - Conditiions and moisturizes hair.
  • Jojoba Oil - Great for adding moisture to a dry scalp. Jojoba oil smoothes and conditions hair.
  • Avocado Oil - Contains vitamins A, D, and E.

• Birch Oil - Great anti-dandruff scalp soother.
  • Calendula Oil - Light astringent. Is said to soothe the scalp and eczema problems.
  • Olive or Extra Olive Oil - An excellent leave-in conditioner.
  • Emu Oil - Natural & non-toxic, non-comedogenic (does not clog pores)...fights dandruff.

These essential oils are great at adding moisture and sheen to locks and other natural styles.

• read this taggi

-------------

Date Posted: January 02 2006 at 5:50pm
    ok so basically rosemary and sage oils.so where do you get them from? beauty stores like Sally's or just anywhere like walmart?

Date Posted: January 02 2006 at 5:53pm
    you can find them at healthfood stores

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 4:16pm
    like gnc?

Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 4:47pm
    yep

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2006 at 10:47pm
    ok makes sense,thanks!

Posted By: loveya4ever
    Date Posted: February 06 2006 at 11:26pm

Hi everyone im JE JE, and im new to the group.  Well im not that new...I sneak in from time to time, but i never post. 

I just wanted to say that i love Jojoba oil and sweet almond oil, but they are very expensive and my hair requires a lot of it.  I have waist length hair so I need alot of oil.  I have found that the jojoba and sweet almond work best when i mix them with a large amount of Vegetable Oil. 

http://health.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/thenewblackhairmillennium/photos/view/2625?b=2 - http://health.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/thenewblackhairmille nnium/photos/view/2625?b=2

-------------
    Loveya4ever
    http://public.fotki.com/redhotlala/

Posted By: missasia
    Date Posted: February 07 2006 at 4:18am

Hi evryone!

I logged in after a long long time, but wanted to reply to this particular post. I definetly prefer AMLA HERBAL HAIR OIL which I always buy online.

I even feel relaxed using this on my kids as this is herbal and all natural. Above all this product is not expensive at all.My hair being lenthy need enough oil and it is tried and tested formula since ages in India, so I feel all the more confident of the product I am using.  

Posted By: missasia
    Date Posted: February 07 2006 at 4:21am

Hello ,

I guess the spelling ALMA OIL is wrongly written in the poll list. Please see to it. It Should be AMLA Oil.   

Posted By: R2D2inoz
    Date Posted: February 08 2006 at 3:19pm

Extra virgin Coconut oil seems to agree the most with me.  I add some to my leave in every day.  It feels my hair feeling soft and moisterised but not overly greasy.

I found EVOO too heavy and every time I sprayed it on I had to have a shower to get rid of the greasy feeling.

-------------
    Natural 10 years
    3b/4a armpit length hair

Posted By: deexox
    Date Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:25pm
    I like avacado oil and coconut, but since avacado isn't a choice I choose Coconut. It's so yummy-smelling

-------------
    Hair Type- 4a/b *transitioning front of my head*
    Length-ranges from 5-7 inches =)
    Products- Garnier Fructis S & S Poo, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Conditioner and Cantu-Leave in =)

Posted By: Champagne_Wishe
    Date Posted: March 14 2006 at 3:19pm

Well I am a newbie to this board, but not to haircare.  What works for me are the following oils:

Extra virgin olive oil: use it for pre-poo, conditioner booster, and lubrucating the hair.

Jojoba oil: pre-poo, conditioner booster, hair lube

Nexxus Botanic Oil: pre-poo, conditioner booster, hair lube

Castor oil: pre-poo, conditioner booster

Coconut oil: hair lube (for summer only)

These are the oils that I use on a consistent basis.

Posted By: MsMiamiLady
    Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 4:17pm
    i prefer WGHO<~~ it works very well in managing tangly natural hair and new growth

-------------

Posted By: 1hairlover
    Date Posted: April 27 2006 at 10:55pm
    I use  oil by a company called platinum , its works wonder on dry hair and I can't keep in in stock at my salon. My clients love it so much , even my kids come in and ask for it.Great for the skin also.

-------------
    lovelove

Posted By: Claudie
    Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:24am

I like most of the oils listed.  I love WGO, it  is very good.  I also use a mixture of jojoba oil, rosemary and, peppermint.  Sometimes I use castor oil and carrot oil.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2006 at 8:30am

Well, EVOO doesnt really work for me anymore, it just kindda sits on my hiar and makes it greasy.. so its no longer my favorite.

I have grown fond of coconut oil. It leaves my hair feeling wonderful, soft and moisturised without it being weighted down.

I use castor oil on occasion for pre poo treatments, its super thick but it does leave my hair pretty soft.

I still want to experiment more with oils though. But ive got a question. Do you think buying oils online is cheaper than buying them if health food stores?

-------------

Posted By: MsMocha
    Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 4:30am
    I voted EVOO because it's a staple and I couldn't live without but I also love castor oil, coconut oil, vitamin e oil and Fantasia IC PM Treatment (even though the first ingredient is mineral oil. I wanan try avacado oil and Africa's Best Herbal Oil.

-------------
    http://public.fotki.com/SweetCocoa/ - http://public.fotki.com/SweetCocoa/

Posted By: kellie7777
    Date Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:01pm
    hey Suga
    how did you do the poll. i wanted to set one up for flat irons. let me know.

-------------
    http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
    Transitioning since Aug 06
    Last Relaxer Apr 06

Posted By: Champagne_Wishe
    Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 3:08pm
    I don't remember if I responded, but I like castor oil and evoo for hot oil treatments in the winter and coconut oil for shine in the summer and jojoba in the winter.            

Date Posted: January 24 2007 at 5:13pm
    Lately I've been using sweet almond oil and I find that my hair likes it. The oil is very light and leaves my hair feeling wonderful

Posted By: simplired
    Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 1:03am
    I just discovered Virgin Coconut oil and jojoba, both are good and do not weigh down the hair...but you still have to go lightly when applying it.

It is the miracle oil for me ,afro american hair dry from relaxers.   I still have my relaxer...yippi, my hair is on its way to healthy..... will see how long it takes to get more lengthTongue
    Special note: I also switched to organic shampoos with no toxican at all

Aubrey Organics is fabulosooooousTongue

Has any afro american tried the NATRALAXER for relaxing hair...I have order, please let me know  it was recommended by EWG.ORG

Everyone needs to view that site.Big%20smile

Posted By: ladyflash
    Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 6:23pm
    I lke coconut oil. Its light enough so it doesn't weigh down my hair. I also like the smell. Right now I'm using a mixture of WGO, coconut oil and peppermint oil. The mixture works great as a prepoo and sealing oil.

-------------
    CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! http://public.fotki.com/quietladyflash/ - My Fotki Album

Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 6:48pm
    what is wgo?

Posted By: ladyflash
    Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 7:37pm
    Wild Growth Oil.

-------------
    CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! http://public.fotki.com/quietladyflash/ - My Fotki Album

Date Posted: April 13 2007 at 10:14pm
    o.k.
    I read your album, the journey you have been on is much like mine, hair stylist using wrong products, cut happy and i got styles that lasted 1 day even after the caked on hair spray the put on.  So I went on my journey thru the internet and stumbled upon UBH Publications, first i got some copycat site tryng to mimmick UBH..they got money money $20. oh well.
    UBH, I  learned alot of takiing care of my own hair and keeping my hair relaxed. I dont want to come out of my relaxer either. the key is moisture and protien and condition, less heat...I wear a wig, no cap under it, Keep the coco oil on it and sleep with satin pillow & scarf.  I use AUbrey natural Shampoos.  my hair was to my upper back, now at my shoulder, so I am really trying to get my hair back ( the wig allows me to keep heat styling tools off my hair while I get it in shape.  I am trying to distance the relaxing schedule to  8 weeks instead 6.....Have you tried the relaxer called Naturalaxer (not harsh straightening chemical....go to EWg.org and get info on toxican in shampoo.....very informative..you may second guess things you use on your head and body...dont want to scare you though

Posted By: SexySyn
    Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:45am
    I just started using Avacado Oil and so far so good. I have been using it at my nightly regime and my ponytail baggies.  It's rich in proteins so it strengthens and right now I don't have any split ends.

1.  I love Phase 3 oil by Proactiv ( I think )  I used this once a week before using my curling iron and it leaves my hair silky soft and not dry from the heat.  I love it

2. EMU oil for about 3 months and it's ok, it leaves no greasy residue and helps my hair retain some moisture.

3.  Kera Care Essential Oils is great. I love it. It has a great mixture of natural oils and it smells of sweet coconut and is not sticky at all.  I have been using this about 6 months and I love it a little goes a long way. 

4.  Virgin Coconut Oil is GREAT!  I went to the health food store in search of Jojoba oil, but they were out so I remember reading about VCO somewhere online and decided to give it a try.  I couldn't wait to give it a try.  Besides it smelling great it made my hair extremely soft and the breakage stopped immediately.  I am so excited at my new find.  Tonight is my Co wash and I can't wait to try it out and go ahead with my regiment from there. So I'll keep you posted.

I tried wild growth oil, Nexxus oil (smells like cooking oil) and kemi oil they didn't move me.

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:16pm
    O.K. good you found what can work for you....remember  dont get any on your scalp, moisture is for hair only. scalp should create its onwn natural oil.

I havent put any coco on my hair for three days, and guess what I still soft hair (not dry at all)  My point here is howofften does your obsorb those oils and does it get dry all over again....this is wha I found with all the products I tried, very very temporary, and then  you get a build up because you have to constantly put on hair which eventually will get on your scalp, causing itching, ect.

Kemi sucked, BB MOisture sucked, QP, African Prides and more cant thnk right now, been thru them allDead

Look at your ingredients and compare the harsh and health concerns....go to ewg.org.

the coco oil and jojoba, you can ut on your body and scalp....coco you can cook with as well.  Guess how much money you will save on hair oils,moisturizers, lotions

-------------
    Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra

Date Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:30pm
    I have been flipping the bottles over and reading the ingredients and staying away from petroleum and mineral oil.  Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought alcohol was something to stay away from too, but I have noticed that alot of moisturizers have cethyl alcohol in it.

I have also noticed alot of products are temporary.  I am now experiencing dry ends and no matter what I do pony baggies, no baggies, it still gets dry once the air hits it.  have you found any oil that helps obtain moisture?

Date Posted: April 21 2007 at 12:59pm
    HI Sexysyn

About products, you have to do more that look at the a few items on the bottle, you have to look at them all, many of them case cancer they are carcinogen, dyes, fragrances and yest alcohol, stay away from it is VERY drying

when you get a pure and natural shampoo and moisturizer no acholol is in them.

I too had the ends drying out faster.....it getting better now since I am using the COCONUT OIL every day and focusing more on the ends.

PLease I can not strees this more than anything go to EWG.ORG and view the Skin deep toxic list of inredients....there you will find out just what is in your products and the health issues with them

Yes, you probably dont have cancer  now, but you never know why you get illness later on in life and you wonder why you get what you get.

I had allergy for years, did not know why, wow ehen I change shampoos I noticed a change, so something in some on the shampoo maybe, who knows for sure.

-------------

Posted By: twingotti
    Date Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:06pm
    Carrot Oil is good for the guys that have waves in their hair such as myself. It naturally conditions your hair and changes your hair texture after repeated use.

-------------

Date Posted: May 01 2007 at 11:34pm
    what does the texture of your hair changed to be I am curious

-------------

Posted By: Ariel21
    Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:12am
    I've been using the Ginseng Oil products for the longest. They really help combat hair dryness! I believe this oil system is severly underrated because it has helped me grow my hair from chin length to waistlength!

Posted By: Ariel21
    Date Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:13am
    I have been using the Ginseng Hair oils for the longest. I use them to combat hair dryness and they have helped me grow my hair really, really long. From chin length to the middle of my back. I have been using them for about 4 years.

Date Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:20pm
    I recently discovered palm oil and I have fallen in love, I now incoropate it into my dc.

-------------

Posted By: kellie7777
    Date Posted: May 26 2007 at 9:44am
    what ginseng products are you referring to.
    do you have an online link that i can look at it.

-------------
    http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
    Transitioning since Aug 06
    Last Relaxer Apr 06

Posted By: virgo78
    Date Posted: June 10 2007 at 9:53pm
    Now how did I know that jojoba oil would be in the lead?LOL

Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:29am
    I have switched to using oil to combat different hair and skin ailments.  I have ordered natural shea butter and cocoa butter and made my own hair moisturizer. 

I have mixed shea butter, cocoa butter, vegetable glycerin, coconut oil with a few drops of peppermint oil, rosemary oil and vitamin oil and use this twice a day.  At night to wrap my hair and in the morning.  And I found it works great. Leaves my hair extremely soft and the shine last all day long.  Jamaica Mangoe and Lime products have a great oil out also.  I use a combination of stuff, but trying my best to stick to the natural things.  I also use aloe vera gel from time to time.  From my research, black hair takes oil well, but in cases where it don't, vegetable glcerin and aloe vera works wonders. 

Water soluble oil such as jojoba oil and castor oil works best because it's easily absorbed into skin and hair leaving a moisturized glow without a greasy feel.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also good but need to be used sparingly because it will leave a sticky heavy greasy feel behind.

Posted By: HoneyCaramel_12
    Date Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:18am
    Well, I've never tried any of these oils. The only hair oils I have tried are the Doo Gro oils and Wild Growth hair oil. Both have been really good for my hair growth, so they are the ones I use most often. Where do yall find these products, cause I haven't come across any of these at Sally's or Wal Mart.

Date Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:06am
    I think that's a fatty acid, not a drying alcohol. Try using a water based moisturizer and sealing it with an oil that will help retain moisture.

Originally posted by SexySyn SexySyn wrote:

I have been flipping the bottles over and reading the ingredients and staying away from petroleum and mineral oil.  Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought alcohol was something to stay away from too, but I have noticed that alot of moisturizers have cethyl alcohol in it.

I have also noticed alot of products are temporary.  I am now experiencing dry ends and no matter what I do pony baggies, no baggies, it still gets dry once the air hits it.  have you found any oil that helps obtain moisture?

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:10am
    I got my oils from a health food store or online [/QUOTE] http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com - Fromnaturewithlove http://www.thesage.com - The Sage

I love WGO oil too the smell doesn't bother me, I actually like it now lol

Originally posted by HoneyCaramel_12 HoneyCaramel_12 wrote:

Well, I've nev
    Well, I've never tried any of these oils. The only hair oils I have tried are the Doo Gro oils and Wild Growth hair oil. Both have been really good for my hair growth, so they are the ones I use most often. Where do yall find these products, cause I haven't come across any of these at Sally's or Wal Mart.

-------------

Posted By: chris101
    Date Posted: July 19 2007 at 8:54pm
    Currently I am using Alma Oil.
    Is it possible to for me to mix Jojoba, EVOO with my Romsemary/Almond Oil Mix?

What is the best combination?

Print Page | Close Window