Forum Name: Celebrity Hair Talk
Forum Description: The hair trials and tribulations of Celebrities
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33280
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 2:57pm

Topic: Today Show Bride to Be
Posted By: Kramer
Subject: Today Show Bride to Be
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 7:46am
Sarah Raley of Maryland and her fiance were selected as the couple that will be married later this year live on NBC's Today Show. They became instant celebrities. Sarah has gorgeous waistlength hair. She won and I didn't even vote! Uh oh, I think they give their brides-to-be a makeover in the weeks leading up the wedding...

Replies:
Posted By: HAWG
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 10:32am
I guess they're quasi-celebrities now and yes, we, the public, get to vote for everything in their wedding (gowns, tuxedos, table settings, invitations, and yes, most of all, her hairstyle).  I can't wait to find out what will happen with her hair; not much can happen to his as he has a shaved head.

-------------
HAWG

Posted By: Joey99
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:39am
Luckily, they don't do an actual "make-over" for the couples, so there probably isn't any danger of her getting a major cut.  The public gets to vote on her hairstyle for the wedding, though.  Usually they show the bride-to-be at a salon where the hairstylist tries 3 or 4 different hairstyles for the wedding day...mostly updos, curls, once they gave a woman extensions.  They've never drastically changed anyone's everyday style...

-------------
"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."

Posted By: Mike46019
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:48pm
Dodge a bullet? I hope so. LOL.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Posted By: Rod
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 5:43pm
Didn't the wedding used to be the bride's day, not the voting American
public's day?

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Didn't the wedding used to be the bride's day, not the voting American
public's day?

Yah... before America became hooked on the narcotic of "reality-based" TV programming.

-------------

Date Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:03pm

Jackpot!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8544668/ - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8544668/

Posted By: Ben C
Date Posted: July 24 2005 at 10:16pm
I ran part of the video from the wedding show and the girl that won it, Sarah, does have really long hair.  I'd describe it as easily 'butt length'.  It will be interesting to watch her as their wedding gets arranged.

Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 2:47pm

I feared this was coming: In the process of providing four hairstyles for Sarah Raley's wedding on The Today Show, she agreed to let the stylists cut a foot off her gorgeous mane. Needless to say, it's no longer down to her butt. When it was curled it was about to midback length. Naturally, the cut will be donated to the stockpile at the Locks of Life warehouse. You can't tell the length from these photos, but here are the choices for "us" to choose:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8544668/ - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8544668/

I think the updo wins in a landslide.

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:55pm

In my opinion, it is still very long.  The cut was her decision - they said 10" on the show.  She wanted to be sure everyone saw her dress (that is what she said on the show today).  I liked the style that was down - she does have pretty hair - hate to have her tie it all up.

I know that not everyone will agree but I find very little difference in how butt length and mid-back length hair look.

Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 4:24pm
You're right. Not everyone will agree on whether it's a difference. But when I saw them slicing off that beautiful hair, ugh, it made a difference, believe me. You saw how long it was before the cut. Doesn't the "after" hair look like more than 10 inches was taken?

Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by loveshort&blonde loveshort&blonde wrote:

The cut was her decision

Hmm.... I truly wonder if she came up with the idea, or if it was suggested (or more firmly "encouraged").  Somehow I don't believe that cutting her hair was her decision.  I think "acquiesced" is the more appropriate term for what happened.

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 7:01am

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

The cut was her decision

Hmm.... I truly wonder if she came up with the idea, or if it was suggested (or more firmly "encouraged").  Somehow I don't believe that cutting her hair was her decision.  I think "acquiesced" is the more appropriate term for what happened.

With the many years of time and care for your long hair Dave, could someone "fimly encourage" you to cut 10 inches of your hair?  I didn't think so and I doubt she did either, unless she wanted too.

Posted By: JerkyFlea
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 11:24am

The cut was her decision

I watched the show Dave, and it was her decision.  The stylist suggested she may want to cut it just a bit to make it easier to do some of the styles, but that's what you'd expect them to do.  When she did it, she wasn't on the verge of tears, she didn't have her face in her hands, she didn't lament the 10 inch braid as she held it in her hands.  Back on the live show, when Natalie Morales commented breathlessly that she had cut her hair, the bride said, rather emphatically, that it was her decision, the stylists didn't pressure her to do it at all, she wasn't attached to her hair being that length, and that if she wore it down that she wanted everyone to see the back of her dress and she was worried they wouldn't with it as long as it was.

So, she didn't "acquiesce", she "decided".  Not every woman who cuts or trims her long hair is the victim of arm-twisting or brain-washing by the vast short hair conspiracy.

As usual,

JF

-------------
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.

Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 12:13pm
you left out "right wing"....lol

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 3:20pm

A cut may not be the end of the world, but were I the prospective groom, the last thing *I * would hope for is to see my fiance's hair whacked from hip-length to BS.

The decision may have been the bride's, but isn't it time that everyone knew that only about 1% of hair donations given to LoL actually adorn girls' heads? The ignorance of the truth *may* have been the main reason she chopped her spectacular hair. Bob

Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 4:27pm

As a follow-up to all this...

1) One of the reasons I voted for Sarah and what's-his-name is because she had the prettiest -- and longest -- hair. She's a doll.

2) Videotape will show that when they met, Sarah had somewhat shorter hair and her fiance had hair. Now he shaves what he has. (The video may follow a commercial from the Red Cross.)

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=49f42736-b8f9-417a-93c2-851ce0035abc&t=m5&p=Source_Today%20Show - http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=49f42736-b8f9-417 a-93c2-851ce0035abc&t=m5&p=Source_Today%20Show

3) As soon as they mentioned that viewers would be able to vote on a hairstyle, I cringed that the audience would have a say on whether Sarah would cut her hair. I never thought the stylist would suggest it and she would go along with it.

4) Bob, I agree with everything you said. But as I recall, the fiance had a chance to talk her out of it and instead sat there reading his magazine.

5) Natalie Morales' hair looked spectacular that morning (Monday). She is doing a great job when called upon and is looking the part. I wish they'd use her more and Alexis Glick less.

6) Katie Couric's hair can't grow fast enough for me.

Posted By: arch94
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 5:22pm

Flea Rules!!!

On a related note, here's hopong that Ann Curry visits that same stylist...stat!

My two cents.

-------------
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!

Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 5:40pm
Hal and JF... my take on the "decision" is that if she had wanted to cut her hair she would have brought up the issue.  But as you said JF, "The stylist suggested she may want to cut it just a bit to make it easier to do some of the styles, but that's what you'd expect them to do."  What this tells me is that she was easy to persuade.  And possibly felt some pressure (even if very gentle, like a virtual nudge) to approve the stylist's suggestion.

I'd bet $ that if the stylist hadn't said a word about cutting her hair, she would have been perfectly happy.

So the depth of her conviction to keep what she had wasn't strong.  It doesn't mean she didn't acquiesce.  And please tell me why you hold so dearly the notion that I believe these events are the results of brain-washing or a conspiracy.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 6:03pm
The fact is that every time you get a girl with that long of hair in a salon you know that the stylist is just dying to slash their scissors into the girl's hair, its sad to see that Sara's lovely long hair was basically wasted.

Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:04pm
Well it could have be more that got chopped. If she wanted to show off the dress and they by the way I saw it I have no sound. Looks like she wanted the cut. So I have no trouble with that. Not like one of those ambush shows.

-------------
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.

Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:51pm

Hal and JF... my take on the "decision" is that if she had wanted to cut her hair she would have brought up the issue.  But as you said JF, "The stylist suggested she may want to cut it just a bit to make it easier to do some of the styles, but that's what you'd expect them to do."  What this tells me is that she was easy to persuade.  And possibly felt some pressure (even if very gentle, like a virtual nudge) to approve the stylist's suggestion.

I'd bet $ that if the stylist hadn't said a word about cutting her hair, she would have been perfectly happy.

So the depth of her conviction to keep what she had wasn't strong.  It doesn't mean she didn't acquiesce.  And please tell me why you hold so dearly the notion that I believe these events are the results of brain-washing or a conspiracy.

Hey Dave,

I was said rather tongue-in-cheek, but the impetus of the statement is the predictable response that anytime any long haired woman gets her hair cut on any show there is never the admission of even the remote possibility that she may have actually wanted to do it.  It's always because they were pressured or coerced or guilted into it.

Basically, the fact I'm wearing a shirt that I've been wearing for a while, doesn't necessarily mean I'm that attached to it or wouldn't prefer a new shirt if I was given the chance for one.  I just may not have had the reason or opportunity to get a new one yet.

And Dave, you know I'm not trying to pick a fight, right?  Not my style.

And Bob S., don't drag the LoL argument into this.  There's never going to be an agreement on that on the board so I'd humbly suggest we make it an off-limits topic.  Fair enough?

As usual,

JF

-------------

Posted By: lovebobs
Date Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:42pm

long straight hair like that is extremely sexy  WHY cut off 10.5 inches?????

its either have long gorgeous hair or short sexy hair  there is no in between  that is just blahhhhhh

she should have kept it long  there are very few girls around with LONG hair that is kept nice all you really see is long rat tails  THIS IS A SHAME!!!!

-------------
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 12:12am

Flea, buddy, not only did the stylist suggest the haircut, he suggested the donation to LOL. In this case it's gotta be open for discussion.

For those that haven't seen it, I think this is the video of the Today Show segment. I'm not sure how much they show because it won't currently work on my computer.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=91de782d-0c7c-491a-a0f7-8d7e829bc25b&t=m5&p=Source_Today%20Show - http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=91de782d-0c7c-491 a-a0f7-8d7e829bc25b&t=m5&p=Source_Today%20Show

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:42am
I don't know I don't have sound. So I'm out of this also.

I'm not going take sides on LOL. I just used the BBB info to tell people that are going to or thinking about given it to them they could get something better if the do Ebay or photo shoot. Heck you have so many sites out there looking for models or anyone who wants to cut they hair for money. If they want to use what they got from these sites and give that money to cause they are better off.

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 8:12am

Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

Flea, buddy, not only did the stylist suggest the haircut, he suggested the donation to LOL. In this case it's gotta be open for discussion.

KramerGord, my man, let's skip ahead a bit and this is an honest question:  She cuts 10.5 inches of hair.  She has it in a braid.  Both are done deals.  What should she do with it?  Throw it away?  Auction it on eBay?  Donate it to LoL?  Donate it to WigsForKids?  Hang it from her rear view mirror?  What?

As for pressure to cut/donate at all, I'm sure the conversation went something like, "If we take a 6-8 inches off, the styles would work better.  But if you cut 10 inches, you could donate it to Locks of Love".  Which is, as I said before, a suggestion by the stylist.  Not born of hatred of long hair or a devious plan to allow her to start chopping away, but a suggestion.  One that could be ignored.

However, my point to Dave, and to you is that not every woman with super long hair is intimately attached to every inch of it, so a) cutting wasn't that big of a deal to her and b) cutting a little more wasn't that big of a deal to her.  My frustration in these conversations is that the folks that prefer long hair on the board seem to project their intense love of and need to protect every inch of all the long flowing locks they see onto anyone with long hair.  Whether that person has that deep attachment or not. 

What further baffles me is some of the reactions even within the long hair community itself.  We've all see the posts where someone will lament that they wanted 1 inch cut off and ended up losing 4 instead.  Amongst the offerings of sympathy and support, there is always the one poster that calls for the stylist to be drawn and quartered.  And not in jest either.  I'm not belittling the loss of six months worth of growth, but the violence and deep hatred those type of posts reveal bothers me.

And don't think I'm picking on that group especially, as I give crap to everyone and get equally tired of reading the posts by folks whose opinion I can predict before they type a word.  Not saying that should dissuade anyone from posting; just pointing out (as I have before) that the most enjoyable threads to me are the ones where someone offers some insight or opinion that I may not have expected.

Bailing out of this thread...except to respond to Dave if he responds to me,

JF

-------------

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 3:44pm
jerky flea the thing is that if a person has hair down to their butt that usually always means that the person likes their hair. And with Sara's hair it was in such good condition if she wasn't attached to her hair I would think that she wouldn't even bother to make her hair look nice. If she thought of her hair like that shirt you said earlier she surely would have got it cut a lot earlier than let it get so long.

Posted By: Carmichael
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 4:01pm
Notice that almost every single post here was perfectly predictable from Kramer to DD to BOB, everyone's with the notable exception of Jerky Flea's. Thank you Flea for keeping this a sane place for open minded people looking for common ground to visit once in a while. As for the LOL comments your right about that too, it's bordered on liable as of late and if I were the sites owner that would be enough for me to make it a closed topic.

-------------
"Your so vain, you probably think this post is about you."

Posted By: fatmoogas
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 4:21pm
It's only hair.

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 4:59pm
Hi Carmichael,

Thank you for concluding that I'm both insane and closed-minded.  I wouldn't want to disappoint you.  I should also apologize for being predictable.  Thank goodness that JF provides you with at least some incentive to continue reading the board.

Hi JF,

Interesting shirt analogy.  On one level, it makes sense.  On another, it doesn't.  So what if the deal to try on this new shirt was that you had to give up the old shirt, and continue wearing the new shirt every day (presumably laundered daily ), but after a day or a week or whatever you decided that you really didn't like this shirt, that you preferred the previous shirt.  But wait, the deal was that you couldn't have that shirt back (let's say, for 2 years).  Now how do you feel about the deal?  Like it was a rather cr@ppy deal.

You wear your hair a certain way.  I might guess that you like to keep it about the same length year after year (not that there's anything wrong with that.  The same goes for those who have any particular length of hair, including long).  So to maintain that length, you make a mental note (or don't, since it's almost instinctive) to get a trim of your short hairstyle every 6 weeks.  So also might a woman whose hair is waist-length.  'Cause she wants to keep it at that length.

My point is that people can decide well enough on their own what length they want their hair to be.  People don't need suggestions.  I'm not saying they don't happen; rather, that they don't need to be honored.

BTW JF, I like your style of "arguing" better than that of many people, Hal.

-------------

Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:05pm

Well, I watched the video (didn't see it earlier).  Whether the stylist made a suggestion or not (isn't that what stylist do - I know they do with my wife).  If you watch the video, she definately did not seem in the least upset she lost 10.5".  I was waiting for bare knuckle grip on the chair or tears or fleeing....the way some of you made it sound.  I always ask my wife (she cuts my hair) what style she likes, how she thinks I should wear it....but I'm sure this won't satisfy many of you...let's try it another way. What if the girl had real short hair and the stylist wanted to use massive extensions.  How many of you would be "complaining" about the abusive power of the stylist?

Just a thought...why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends....

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:11pm
Anyone who agrees to appear on this type of show, is usually more than ready to sacrifice anything for their 15 minutes of fame. Wouldn't be very good TV if the professionals just said, "think you look great, and there's no need to change a thing!"

Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 6:15pm
Hey Dave don't you think that if she wanted her hair short she would have worn it short but she had it long so they should have let her keep her long hair

Posted By: Lester
Date Posted: September 07 2005 at 8:49pm
Are there any pictures of this woman before she got the haircut? The videos are not coming through for me. Thanks

Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 7:12am

Hi Carmichael,

If I had feeling, that my have hurt them...lol 

Almost every woman I know would give up her old shirt for a new one... that's why the mall (and hair salons) are full of them shopping for new ones!  However, to your point, there are a few around that wear the same old shirt day after day after day. 

If one of your buddies should up at a business function wearing a leisure suit, would you let him know, fashion wise, he had missed the boat? Would you let him look bad rather than speak up? Would be rude if you did? Would you be a true friend if you did not?

Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:23am

Interesting shirt analogy.  On one level, it makes sense.  On another, it doesn't.  So what if the deal to try on this new shirt was that you had to give up the old shirt, and continue wearing the new shirt every day (presumably laundered daily ), but after a day or a week or whatever you decided that you really didn't like this shirt, that you preferred the previous shirt.  But wait, the deal was that you couldn't have that shirt back (let's say, for 2 years).  Now how do you feel about the deal?  Like it was a rather cr@ppy deal.

Yes, but that also assumes that if I didn't like the new shirt that there is no other new shirt that I would like and the only way I'll be happy is to get my old shirt back.  And it's not like I can't get it back, it will just take a while.  The question then becomes that if the only way I can ever try a new shirt is to get rid of the old one, is it worth denying myself those possibilities to retain my old comfortable shirt?  Some would say yes, some would say no, and still others would say this shirt analogy has gotten entirely out of control.

You wear your hair a certain way.  I might guess that you like to keep it about the same length year after year (not that there's anything wrong with that.  The same goes for those who have any particular length of hair, including long).  So to maintain that length, you make a mental note (or don't, since it's almost instinctive) to get a trim of your short hairstyle every 6 weeks.  So also might a woman whose hair is waist-length.  'Cause she wants to keep it at that length.

Actually I go every 3-4 weeks and generally because it starts to look bad.  But I get your point.

My point is that people can decide well enough on their own what length they want their hair to be.  People don't need suggestions.  I'm not saying they don't happen; rather, that they don't need to be honored.

And this is where we diverge.  I disagree with "people don't need suggestions" because that implies that any suggestion is an intrusion on their personal self-image and/or a violation of their rights.  If you and I were working a job where we were repairing the gearing on a conveyor belt system, I may suggest that you cut or put up your hair to keep it from potentially catching in the gears and getting ripped from your head or your head ripped from the rest of you.  Is that a suggestion you don't need?

If that's too obvious, then let's say that if we were hanging out and I mentioned that, given your features and hair texture, you'd have a cool "rock god" look going if you cut your hair to between your shoulders and mid-back and added some layering.  Just my opinion, throwing it out there, you can take it or leave it.  Doesn't make me think any more or less of you for taking or not taking my suggestion.  As you said, it's up to you to choose to actually do something based on it.

Now, if I berated you about it daily, that would be different...

Thanks.  And I know that Hal would be happier if we just understood that most women look better with a banged and layered flippy bob.

As usual,

JF

-------------

Posted By: nooneatall
Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 3:28pm
I have this sudden urge to go out and buy a new shirt....

-------------
...and that's all I have to say about that.

Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:27pm

What if the girl had real short hair and the stylist wanted to use massive extensions.  How many of you would be "complaining" about the abusive power of the stylist?

All of the people who love short hair and hate long hair?  Or anybody who hates the idea of people wearing extensions, maybe because they "cheat" and get all that length in no time, or because they aren't installed very well?  Or maybe all of the above?

Originally posted by JF JF wrote:

... Some would say yes, some would say no, and still others would say this shirt analogy has gotten entirely out of control.

If nothing else it shows that the decision isn't necessarily easily made.

Originally posted by JF JF wrote:

I disagree with "people don't need suggestions" because that implies that any suggestion is an intrusion on their personal self-image and/or a violation of their rights.

Hardly a violation of rights.  Rather, I believe that the impetus for the most meaningful changes come from within.

I believe the conveyor belt analogy is poor because of the difference in the potential impact of not following the suggestion.  Conveyor belt accidents can result in serious physical injury or death.  Hairstyle "accidents" (as visually perceived by the other person) do not result in bodily injury or death.

And regarding potential "rock god" (or whatever) suggestions, I guess you and I have fundamentally differing ideas about what we do with our thoughts and opinions.  Some people choose to accept others for who they are; others seek to mold others into their own ideal form.

So...
Originally posted by Carmichael Carmichael wrote:

If one of your buddies should up at a business function wearing a leisure suit, would you let him know, fashion wise, he had missed the boat? Would you let him look bad rather than speak up? Would be rude if you did? Would you be a true friend if you did not?

Bill Gates was once a geekazoid who wore leisure suits to important business meetings with representatives from potential suitors, including IBM... his sartorial style didn't seem to hurt him any.

Forgot to add before... And some people would see these people wearing unusual clothes and describe them as being "fashion forward."

-------------

Posted By: nooneatall
Date Posted: September 08 2005 at 11:48pm

Seems to me that the conveyor belt analogy is accurate but very exagerrated. The person making either suggestion, about hair or conveyor, is only stating an opinion as to what they think would make the other person's life better even in some small way.

-------------
...and that's all I have to say about that.

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:18am

Hardly a violation of rights.  Rather, I believe that the impetus for the most meaningful changes come from within.

Not arguing that.  And who said we were talking life altering change?  That's part of my point.  Simply that every person with really long hair isn't immediately going to break down if they receive a suggestion to cut it or be permanently damaged if they do.  Just saying that for most folks, the hair follicles aren't tied directly to the soul.

JF

-------------

Posted By: oskana
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:01am
i dont understand this arguement. Not everyone is attached to their long hair. who knows maybe she was looking for a change and just never got around to it. or maybe simply she just didnt care that much so she took the stylist suggestion and went with it. yes its true stylist will naturally recommend a cut anyways, she could have surely said NO, but obviously it wasnt that serious.  i think u guys are more upset about her hair cut than she is

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:16am
By seeing her on TV today she was glad that she did it. She wanted to show off the dress.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 11:53am
Sorry I missed that conversation. How did the topic of her haircut come up? How did she look? Was it curled again? To me, it looked like they took more off than the announced 10 inches.

Posted By: Carmichael
Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 2:42pm
I just so happened to grab some of her interview I was leaving this morning. Not having recorded it I'll paraphrase:

She admitted that prior to the cut she had been wanting to cut it for some time. She said that her hair had grown to the middle of her bottom and was causing her problems like getting caught in the car door and at this length it was a pain and generally in the way.  She said that she surprised her friends who didn't know that she was going to cut it. She said that everyone including herself and her fiance thought it looked fab. She readily agreed with Katie who commented that her hair was still very long. She implied that she never had any angst since cutting it for the show. She never commented about LOL or donating her hair as an excuse to cut.

Now, I know that no matter what's reported there will still be more than a few here will choose to beleive that she was somehow brainwashed by Today Show producers and would prefer to have seen her to be an emotional wreck over her clearly regrettable decision but none of that appeared to be the case to this observer.

And yes Kramer it looked like they cut off more than 10 inches to me too. Her hair was nicely waved and the long layers they cut around her face looked impressive too. She was seated and they didn't show her from behind but I'd say it probably falls to somewhere above the small of her back now.

-------------
"Your so vain, you probably think this post is about you."

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:02pm

Which hairstyle did she choose?

Maybe Katie can get the 10-plus inches of wasted hair and use it as extensions.

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:15pm
She went with the updo. She wanted to show off the dress that's why she go it cut. That was also said in the interview. When she put the dress on then her hair cover it. So I think that was added reason for the cut. Kate C was the one that asked her about the cut in way it wasn't shot out as a question.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:36pm
that's ridiculous why did she cut her long hair if she was gonna wear it in a updo it just doesn't make any sense.

Date Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:26pm
Long hair can be very heavy on a woman's head in an updo and is far easier
to style when it's shorter.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 12:11am
Sorry, Rod, I like Jared's observation better than your explanation. Although Sarah had no idea which style the viewers would choose, she knew there was a good chance that most of her dress would be showing. Obviously the hairstyle footage took hours to tape and they only showed a few minutes of it on The Today Show, so we'll never know the entire conversation. I still look at it as a waste of beautiful hair. But I like how passionate we are on this topic. Cripe, this is the 48th response to the original posting. At the risk of being predictable again, I hope that when Sarah and what's-his-name are videotaped on their one-year anniversary that Sarah's hair is longer, and the two-year anniversary is even longer and so on.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 1:49am
Actually, I think we just keep repeating ourselves.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 9:21am
Hey Kramer so is the Today Show gonna show Sara and her husband one year from now? Hopefully then it will be atleast back to waistlength.

Date Posted: September 10 2005 at 10:25am
I still think she wanted it cut. If anyone heard her on Fri's show she wasn't in tears or upset she was happy about it. Damm I'm a long hair lover but when someone wants to cut it what can you do. Zealots out there on both sides think about it. I guess this example is the best where it was asked she took it and now everyone wants to think she was pushed into a cut? And there was a sniper in the knoll.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 11:38am

Found this interesting strand on The Long Hair Site:

http://members4.boardhost.com/tlhs/msg/128915.html - http://members4.boardhost.com/tlhs/msg/128915.html

Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 12:41pm

http://members4.boardhost.com/tlhs/msg/128915.html - http://members4.boardhost.com/tlhs/msg/128915.html

From the Kramer-to-English Dictionary:

Main Entry: in·ter·est·ing
Pronunciation: 'in-t(&-)r&s-ti[ng]; 'in-t&-"res-, 'in-"tres-; 'in-t&rs-
Function: adjective
: One-sided and/or inflammatory : rehashing of a previous argument adding no new insight and solely for the sake of provocation

As usual,

JF

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 2:26pm
Hey now, don't you go turning on me, too. Having Fatmoo mad at me is all I can take for one day. Seeing Bride To Be's ponytail cut off was way more than I could take for a year. I'm still in mourning. Let me mourn.

Posted By: TEMPLAR
Date Posted: September 13 2005 at 8:04pm
Does any one have pictures of the actual cutting or the aftermath?

Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

From the Kramer-to-English Dictionary:

Main Entry: in·ter·est·ing
Pronunciation: 'in-t(&-)r&s-ti[ng]; 'in-t&-"res-, 'in-"tres-; 'in-t&rs-
Function: adjective
: One-sided and/or inflammatory : rehashing of a previous argument adding no new insight and solely for the sake of provocation

As usual,

JF

FWIW Kramer, I'd like to add that a "strand" and a "thread" are not synonyms within the context of internet message boards.

Date Posted: September 28 2005 at 8:20pm

OK. Alert the media.

What took you so long? Did you go on the honeymoon with the Today Show bride and groom?

Date Posted: September 29 2005 at 6:45pm
No need to alert the media.  I think they're up on the distinction.  And before I go on my next vacation, I'll first seek your approval for its duration - okay? 

Date Posted: September 29 2005 at 8:52pm

Oh man, what a grouch. Perhaps you need another vacation.

If anybody sees any other photos of Sarah Raley and her gorgeous strands of hair, please post them.

Date Posted: September 30 2005 at 6:14am
Dave does seem to have returned in a bad mood.

Date Posted: October 01 2005 at 6:32pm

Oh man, what a grouch. Perhaps you need another vacation.

If anybody sees any other photos of Sarah Raley and her gorgeous strands of hair, please post them.

Gee Kramer, lighten up.  Can't you tell by the "wink" emoticon that I was just kidding you?

Posted By: ErinAshley
Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 7:42pm

Sarah would laugh if she could see the discussion about her hair!  I am Sarah's cousin, and I live in Baltimore.  I discovered this thread as I was googling information about their wedding (I am making a scrap book for her).  Sarah made the decision on her own to cut the 10 inches off.  She made it clear that she was willing to part with a portion of it but not all of her length.  Mark was very supportive to whatever she wanted to do.  She also figured that if she was going to get her hair cut, it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to have Louis Licari do it.  Sarah has a beautiful, thick, heavy, natural wave in her hair (seriously, she could do Pantene commercials - I'm jealous!), so that's why it looks shorter.  The week they did the reveal for the hairstyle, Sarah actually hid her hair in a bun so everyone would be surprised to know if she cut it - including her mother!  Sarah looks beautiful no matter how she wears her hair, but I do like the shorter length.  Now you see Sarah and not the hair.  She also wanted to make sure that whatever hairstyle was chosen, the dress would be visible.  When she tried the wedding gowns on in New York on the day of the reveal (Sarah, her mother, my mother, our grandmother, and I went to New York for the reveal) her hair got caught in the dresses.  The dress that was chosen had such beautiful detail that Sarah wanted to make sure it would be visible.  It's a good thing America chose the updo.  It was so humid the day of the wedding - even at 6am in the morning!  The last thing she would have needed was her hair sticking to her face while trying to balance in the gown (it was heavy!). 

So there you have it.  Someone who knows Sarah and can testify that she alone made the decision to lop off 10 inches and donate it to Locks of Love. 

ErinAshley

Posted By: 94harley
Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 7:52pm
Since you are her cousin, can you tell us is she going to grow back all that lucious length, hope so. It was so beautiful don't see that very often. thanks Paul

Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 9:06pm
I'm sorry that you stumbled onto this site. Some people feel a sense of
ownership of her and her hair because it was so long. It's her hair and
doesn't belong to those of us on a message board. She's not a celebrity. How
she wears her hair from now on should be up to her.

Posted By: 94harley
Date Posted: October 03 2005 at 9:13pm
Agree it is her hair just curious if she is going to grow it back. But we should not do anything but wish them years of happyness together!!! Thats what it's all about them and nobody else

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 1:46am

Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

I'm sorry that you stumbled onto this site. Some people feel a sense of
ownership of her and her hair because it was so long. It's her hair and
doesn't belong to those of us on a message board. She's not a celebrity. How
she wears her hair from now on should be up to her.

DO NOT apologize for me, Rod. I think I introduced the topic of Sarah's hair. And I disagree with your assessment that she is not a celebrity. When you go on national television and get married, you become an instant celebrity. Sarah's hair is perfect for this thread.  Aren't there 60-some responses so far?

As a lover of long hair, I stand by the disappointment of having to watch Sarah's hair cut on national TV. I accept that it was her idea to do it and appreciate her cousin's insight on it (although I still have my doubts about Locks of Love and their factory full of hair). But I remain hopeful that Sarah will grow it longer and longer just the same.

By the way, I, too, voted for the updo. She was a stunning bride -- and I'm sure that sentiment was echoed across America.

If you show this to Sarah and Mark, please let her know we're not crazy, just very passionate to the topic.

Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 6:50pm

Have no fear, Sarah would be delighted at the thread!  Although she enjoyed her long hair, as far as I know, she is not planning on growing her hair back to that length.  I know that it was a decision she had a really hard time making, but was glad that she did it.  Like she says, it's not every day or every person that has the chance to have Louis Licari do your hair.  Sarah's had the long length for several years and had said that the whole reason she was growing it out was to donate it to Locks of Love.  She just never got around to it until now!  She went regularly to her hair dresser in St. Mary's County to get it highlighted and trimmed which is why it looked so good.  Honestly, I have never seen anyone with long hair that looked as nice as hers - and it's not because I'm partial!  I've noticed that most long, long hair starts to get long and stringy at the ends.  Hair grows faster and better the more it's trimmed (at least that's what my dresser says).    Anyway, Sarah's enjoying being able to put her hair up without it feeling like a brick on her head!  When she and Mark honeymooned in the Maldives, her luggage got lost (it was at the airport the whole time!) and she had only one pony tail holder (her hairbrush and the like were in her luggage, of couse), which broke during her and Mark's private yoga lesson...and that was only day 2 of the trip.  It wasn't like Mark could help her out any in the hair accessory department, least of all a hair brush!

ErinAshley

Posted By: Ben C
Date Posted: October 04 2005 at 9:01pm
Any idea how long it took for Sarah to grow her hair that long? 

Date Posted: October 05 2005 at 7:29pm

She's had it super long for the past 3 years or 4 years if I remember correctly.  As for growing it out, her hair seems to grow pretty fast - probably two years?  She used to have it in a cute shag cut, and then grew it out to just past her shoulders, and then the next time we saw her it was long.  Actually, I had just chopped my waist length hair off and not long after, Sarah started to grow her out. So it's been within the past 5 or 6 years that she's had the long hair. 

Posted By: loveofshort
Date Posted: November 25 2005 at 10:38pm
Any chance in pictures of her with short hair and you with your long and short hair?

Print Page | Close Window