Print Page | Close Window

Stretching out a Perm and Breakage

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: African American Hair
Forum Name: African American Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of African Americans.
URL: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36288
Printed Date: October 30 2014 at 10:51am


Topic: Stretching out a Perm and Breakage
Posted By: blackhoney112
Subject: Stretching out a Perm and Breakage
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 2:40pm
My last stylist told me that I would need to come in for regular relaxers (every 4 weeks) or I would have alot of breakage. This was after I stretched my relaxer out 3mon while having my hair in braids. Has anyone else experienced this? And how long do you stretch out your relaxer?



Replies:
Posted By: Sweet_Ambrosia
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

My last stylist told me that I would need to come in for regular relaxers (every 4 weeks) or I would have alot of breakage. This was after I stretched my relaxer out 3mon while having my hair in braids. Has anyone else experienced this? And how long do you stretch out your relaxer?

 

Dont believe that kinda rubbish! Getting your hair relaxed every 4 weeks is too often and it can cause overprocessing resulting in hair loss! Some people cant stretch their relaxers for too long I guess it depends on the overall health & strength of their hair, but if you wanna continue to stretch your relaxers just make sure to moisturize your new growth often and continue to take care of your hair as you normally would. Before I decided to transition I would stretch my relaxers for 24 weeks ( 6 months) with no problems.

 

 



-------------
*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08


Posted By: cmesweet
Date Posted: October 12 2005 at 4:56pm
I'm with Ambrosia on this...anyways, according to the directions on most relaxer boxes it says 6-8 weeks, from what I read. So why any stylist would say that is beyond me, other than to get more money in her pocket. Just like Ambrosia, I stretched my relaxers anywhere up to 6 months. Just think of it like this...if you do not see your hair improving  from your stylist, you need to find a new one.  

-------------
Natural
BC May 9, 2004



Posted By: BrownEyez2
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:25am
I agree. Every 4wks is just too soon!  IMO, your "stylist" is thinking more in terms of making $$$ off you than caring about the health of your hair. Everyone can not stretch to 6mos or so, but w/ keeping your hair & new growth moisturized you can def stretch for more than 4wks. You have to gauge your hair & how much breakage, etc you're getting. You may want to try doing conditioner washes 1/2x wk...this will help soften your new growth and allow you to stretch longer.

-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~


Posted By: afrolatina
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 9:58am

Every 4 weeks would be too often and result in overprocessed, damaged hair.  She could be thinking in terms of $$ or she could be afraid that you may try to stretch as long as you did or longer which may not be so good for the hair either, especially if you are going to keep relaxing.

I understand that many people want to stretch their relaxers for overall hair health.  My hair, for example, would be an utter mess if I stretched too long.  There are areas on my head that I just could not manage, unless I wore braids.  I don't particularly like the way I look in braids so I never wear my hair that way.  If I did wear braids that often, I probably would not bother relax my hair at all. 



Posted By: Grow Hair Grow
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 1:18pm
I agree with all of the ladies here. Your stylist is trippin without her luggage! Every 4 weeks?!?! Maybe it's just me, but I can barely tell where the new growth is after 4 weeks (1/2 inch is not enough space to prevent overlapping and you KNOW stylists apply the relaxers hella quick to get you in and out of the chair!). I think everyone can easily go 8 weeks without relaxing with the proper moisturizers. Beyond that, well...it's rather difficult for me but I know a lot of the ladies here can with proper maintenance. If your stylist keeps up that attitude, you may want to start lookin around for someone who really cares about your hair, not her pocketbook.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/growhair/
pw: grow already


Posted By: nnebabe
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 10:28am

Hey, I'm a newbie here have just just been checkin out thethreads, hopefully u lot could help me.

I relaxed my hair in august for the first time but when i started to get my new growth i realised i didn't want to relax again. So i stretched out my relaxer. I went to the hairdressers recently and they said i should relax my hair, otherwise it would break. Because i had washed my hair the day before i couldn't. So i instead did ghana braid (cornrow). But she told me my hair would break with the ghana braid even though i had about 2-3 inches of new growth she blow dried it staight. I'm now afraid when i take my hair out lumps of it will come out. Can you tell me if it is true or if she was just trying to get me to relax my hair again.

Because i'm going back to my natural hair do you think its best if i stick to braids and cornrow untill i'm ready to cut off the relaxed hair. I really dont want to see my hair really short.



Posted By: princess8907
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 9:09am

Originally posted by BrownEyez2 BrownEyez2 wrote:

I agree. Every 4wks is just too soon!  IMO, your "stylist" is thinking more in terms of making $$$ off you than caring about the health of your hair. Everyone can not stretch to 6mos or so, but w/ keeping your hair & new growth moisturized you can def stretch for more than 4wks. You have to gauge your hair & how much breakage, etc you're getting. You may want to try doing conditioner washes 1/2x wk...this will help soften your new growth and allow you to stretch longer.

 

This is soo true.  Nowadays, the money is more important than your hair.  I had a stylist who cared more about making money, charged me $55 a relaxer and each time it just dried my hair out and made it brittle, so she cut it all off!  Then had the nerve to tell me she should do treatment on it.  I havent been back since and she got fired not to long afterwards.  Ive been natural ever since



-------------
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap




Posted By: princess8907
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 9:11am
Originally posted by nnebabe nnebabe wrote:

Hey, I'm a newbie here have just just been checkin out thethreads, hopefully u lot could help me.

I relaxed my hair in august for the first time but when i started to get my new growth i realised i didn't want to relax again. So i stretched out my relaxer. I went to the hairdressers recently and they said i should relax my hair, otherwise it would break. Because i had washed my hair the day before i couldn't. So i instead did ghana braid (cornrow). But she told me my hair would break with the ghana braid even though i had about 2-3 inches of new growth she blow dried it staight. I'm now afraid when i take my hair out lumps of it will come out. Can you tell me if it is true or if she was just trying to get me to relax my hair again.

Because i'm going back to my natural hair do you think its best if i stick to braids and cornrow untill i'm ready to cut off the relaxed hair. I really dont want to see my hair really short.

 

girl, your stylist lied to you



-------------
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap




Posted By: nnebabe
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 9:21am

thanx for that . I thought she might have just been tryin to get more money out of me.

Because i'm transitioning should i just stick to doing braids and cainrows until i can cut off all the relaxed hair. Or would it be better to cut it off bit by bit. I really don't want to see the length of my hair go so short.



Posted By: princess8907
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 9:29am
Well necessarily, you wont have to cut it at all, if you keep your hair braided for a while.  It should grow out itself and just make sure you keep your ends clipped.

-------------
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap




Posted By: blackhoney112
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 10:08am
Ooo reading through this again I forgot to reply ... all the advise really paid off I got a relaxer 3 days after this post and I stretched it till Dec.10 and I have really noticed the difference in the texture and health of my hair since stretching! Btw I stopped seeing that stylist in October I am glad that my hard earned money will not being going into her pocket anymore!

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/blackhoney112/hair_album/101505_.html - Hair album
pw:Romeo


Posted By: princess8907
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 10:25am
good job blackhoney112!

-------------
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap




Posted By: BrownEyez2
Date Posted: December 20 2005 at 11:43am

Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

Ooo reading through this again I forgot to reply ... all the advise really paid off I got a relaxer 3 days after this post and I stretched it till Dec.10 and I have really noticed the difference in the texture and health of my hair since stretching! Btw I stopped seeing that stylist in October I am glad that my hard earned money will not being going into her pocket anymore!

Way to go, blackhoney!! Sometimes you can't reason w/ these stylist, not all but the ones that insist on harming your hair instead of helping it. You just have to let them go and hit'em in the pocket where it hurts!

 

 



-------------
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~



Print Page | Close Window