Print Page | Close Window

How do you go from black to blonde?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Bloopers
Forum Description: Share your hair horror stories...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=36357
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 4:21pm

Topic: How do you go from black to blonde?
Posted By: babyj32
Subject: How do you go from black to blonde?
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 4:16pm

Okay, I really need some help. I tried to go from black to blonde and ruined my hair, or so I thought. But when I went to the salon, my hair stylest told me my hair wasn't as damaged as I'd originally thought. So we cut off the ends. I thought that I was okay with staying dark, but I want to go blonde. What is the safest way to do this with the least amount of damage? Should I go light brown and then progressively get lighter? Not many people responded to my last posts, so I'm hoping to get some more suggestions for this one. PLEASE HELP!! I don't want to repeat a hair tragedy

Replies:
Posted By: Lady_Lynz
Date Posted: October 27 2005 at 10:12pm

gah ... i can't tell you not to do it yourself, because just this summer i went from my naturally blonde hair to VERY dark brown (almost black) and then within the next month, i had dyed it back to blonde.

BUT. it was a LONG process ... lots and lots of boxes of haircolor ... lots and lots of nights agonizing over whether my hair was going to stay these weird in-between shades (think neon orange, strawberry sherbet, acid lemon! ew), and I had to hack off a TON of my hair when it was all over.

I would go to a prof. salon who is going to cooperate and help you and not tell you its impossible (its not). Professionals know what theyre doing better than most people playing alchemist at home, and if something goes wrong, you have a better recourse of action ...

-------------
<3, Lady_Lynz

Posted By: Torrie
Date Posted: May 11 2006 at 5:31pm
well baby if its dark it probly wont look rite blond ohh and if you start you cant stop the roots will start to show and it wont look to hot im sorry to say . make sure you wont to do this first it will deffaently save you a lot of heart ace i wish someone woud have warned me when i f****ked my hair up it took one year before i felt safe and comfitable enough to leave the house      BE SURE BEFORE YOU DYE

Posted By: Sharyg11
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 3:32pm
The only way to get black hair blonde is to bleach it. Deft. go to a proffesional for that. Or don't go blonde, go light or medium brown. You might like it better and won't necesarily need to bleach. I once died my dark brown hair. I used the lighest shade of blonde I could find, and my hair turned out this beautiful medium to light brown with gold tones, that people could not stop complementing me about. The change won't be so drastic and your hair won't be as damaged.

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: September 15 2006 at 1:10am
  You have to go to a pro.I have done this twice myself and it was a HUGE mistake!! The thing is,you cant "DYE" over black,the hair has to be bleached. The first time I did it The bleach only made my hair orange and white at top! So,I bleached again,and it STILL had werid colors like rainbow brite.I then went to 5 salons and NO ONE would touch me. One suggested an ash toner,and luckily for me that worked. but my hair was soo fried it felt like hay and alot fell out. I had to cut alot off too.
The second time,it wasnt quite so bad cuz I was only bleaching to go auburn red not blonde and I didnt have to go to a salon.
    Do what she suggested and get a brownish red or something.Then in a couple months if you still dont like it,and hair has been conditioned you can do it again. But I REALLY dont think you should do it all at once ~I have been there and it was not pretty! Most people dont realize how permante black is~maybe they should put a warning on the box! WARNING:Use this color and you are stuck with it! Cuz bleach is very bad for your hair.
I wish you the best of luck though. If you do end up doing it despite our advice and have additional troubles I may be able to help you,feel free to ask.

Posted By: cryption
Date Posted: November 19 2006 at 7:11pm
I'd say go to a professional and get it LIGHTENED but not bleached. You could go to a medium brown or a little lighter caramelish colour and then I'd say go back every couple of months have have highlights added in the blonde that you want. You'll be 75% blonde in no time and your hair will get time to recover.

ALTERNATIVELY, what my hairdresser did when I was going from black to lighter was she did a head of foils so she lightened half of it so I had lots of highlights in a very light brown then she dyed over the whole lot an amazing chocolate brown so I had blacky-brown and chocolate streaks and I thought it was amazing. But if you want lighter your hairdresser will dye a lighter color over the foild parts. It'll mean that half your hair will still be in good conditio0n and the rest can recover while you still remain looking good!

Posted By: blossom_102
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 4:40am
iv been dying my hair black for about three years now,but im naturally blonde and i know its so hard to get out!
iv been to several hair salons and they all have done strand tests and the colour hasnt shifted atall
all of the hair salons have refused to touch my hair!and some have said they will do it if i sign a form to say i cant sue them after its done!!!!
after a day of crying i went to the shop and bought a self bleaching kit!!!!
and it turned out bright ginger first time,i really dnt no why the hairsalon couldnt shift the colour,but i did :D
but i must admit my roots wer bright blonde and then it got darker ginger futher down my hair.
i put a ginger blondey colour on my roots to try and blend it to the same colour as the end!
so now its gingery red,doesnt look as bad as i thought it would
but in a few weeks i can bleach it again so i can go bk to a nice colour blonde.
i would advise everey1 neva to dye there hair black coz its so hard to get out but this time iv just been lucky.
and id neva go to a hairdressers again because half of them seriously dont no what they are doing,plus they are so expensive and with the money i saved i can now go and buy shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!:D hehe
BABYJ32 i suggest you do it with foils in stages and gradually get lighter and lighter
good luck whatever you doooo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-------------
xXxBooxXx

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 9:50pm
Blossom102,your hair really does look nice black in your avatar though! 

Posted By: blossom_102
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 2:13am
thanks jules,alot of people say that its just blonde reli is my thing ,hehe
take care xxxxxxxxx

-------------
xXxBooxXx

Posted By: sweetjessie76
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:16am

What is your natural hair color? Keep in mind that the only way you can go lighter then that is by bleaching. Also consider that the more chemical you put onto your hair the further damage you are causing. I know how us women are about our hair, I am one to impulsively change my hair without thinking it through, at least I was until a very great guy friend said this to me once, "Your having problems in your relationship aren't you?" It's a proven fact that a lot of women change their hair when under stress. Our hair after all is the only thing we think we can control now isn't it? Just consider the options, it's only hair right?

-------------
Jessie

Posted By: sweetjessie76
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 7:22am
TongueAmen to that!!! I went black in beauty school a long time ago and I still remember it to this day. It was awful. In the time since I have had many many hair mishaps, it's all part of the trade. I must admit that the recent two tone style did tempt me to go darker but after careful consideration I stayed with the growing out of an awful red color I dyed my hair last year.

-------------
Jessie

Posted By: becci_boo
Date Posted: August 08 2007 at 12:01pm
I tried to bleach my dark brown hair blonde, and it turned out a yellowish colour, I went to the hairdressers and they covered it with a chocolate brown and told me to come back in a few weeks and they'll do a strand test to see if the bleach will colour a nice blonde, so hopefully I'll have a nice colour blonde hair in the end! Id advise anybody to go to a professional to bleach their hair.

becci

Posted By: suicides_eve
Date Posted: August 17 2007 at 11:37am
 COLOR REMOVER i went from 3 years of black dye to blonde using this stuff  i even made a page about it with pictures and all. if any one has questions pm me 

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve - YouTube Guru Makeup & Hair tutorial and How To's
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suicides-EVE/162213213843641 - MY FACEBOOK

Posted By: becci_boo
Date Posted: August 17 2007 at 2:03pm
didnt it damage your hair though?

Posted By: suicides_eve
Date Posted: August 22 2007 at 5:48pm
what the color remover?? nah the constant bleaching and color fried my hair

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/SuicidesEve - YouTube Guru Makeup & Hair tutorial and How To's
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suicides-EVE/162213213843641 - MY FACEBOOK

Posted By: Bettyc
Date Posted: January 11 2009 at 2:19am

I have been colouring my hair black for 2 years, luckily just witha Semi-perm for the past 6 months. The only way you can do this and preserve your hair is by having the colour stripped (preferably in a salon). My strategy is to have the black stripped out (on Tuesday! Hurray!!) taken to a lighter brown, then after a few weeks, once my hair has had a break, I will have a full head of foiled highlights. My stylist did a strand test to see if bleaching would work on the black - not a chance - copper / gingery read, and the last 3-4 inches of my hair turned to mush and dropped off.  Colour remover is far gentler on the hair than Bleach but the same strength.

Posted By: leggyblonde
Date Posted: April 21 2011 at 10:40am
yer and you know what? they will rip you off.

i am born with dark brown hair, dyed it burgundy red, black and have had 2 perms, now i am platinum blonde.

i bleached it yes. no stripping colours out coz the bleach does it for you.

i then just buy a packet blonde from the shop and dye over to keep the blonde.

i have been to the hairdressers a lot in 4 years of having blonde hair. they have burnt my scalp, fried my hair and you know what its probably better if you do it urself

Posted By: chameleongirl
Date Posted: January 08 2012 at 1:06am
Years ago I dyed my hair black (a natural dark ash blond).  It took at least three boxes of bleach and although most of my hair did return to a light blond, there were a lot of orange shades mixed in.  I also had to cut a lot of it off from damage.  Now I stick with auburn and avoid both going black and bleach where I can.  The damage of going from one to the other was costly and it took forever for my hair to grow back. 

Posted By: bullet875
Date Posted: August 18 2012 at 11:21pm
There are color removers that work well, but it depends on how long the color has been in your hair whether the remover can break down the molecules and remove them. I had my stylist use Rusk's elimin8 on my hair. He did it twice, but it can be used up to 3x per salon visit and I also have Japanese straightened hair and my hair is fine. I only went to a light/medium chocolate brown with gold highlights, but I was black before...and that had been in my hair for about 6 years. I'm certain if I wanted to go tota;ly blonde that I could get ti there with just the elimin8. Schwarzkopf makes a similar product and Sally Beauty has one from Ion, but I've never used either so I don't know how good they are.

Print Page | Close Window