Print Page | Close Window

Fine, shiny, but damaged hair?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Fine Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of those with fine hair.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=45617
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 1:17am

Topic: Fine, shiny, but damaged hair?
Posted By: Lovely_hunni
Subject: Fine, shiny, but damaged hair?
Date Posted: July 26 2006 at 12:23pm

Hey everyone! This is my first post!

Well let me tell you about my hair: It's always been fine, straight with a touch of wavy-ness along with a nice shine to it.
About 3 years ago, i started flat-ironing my hair, to make it stick-straight. The problems where that i didn't protect my hair with any products, and was useing a cheap-y flat iron that didn't get very hot, so i'd have to spend a long time with heat on my hair, to get results. My hair started to get dry and limp, so i introduced a silicone serum into my hair regimen, which didn't help that much, because it weighed my hair down, and i now I think built-up and  locked out moisture from getting into my hair. So, then i added a heavily-packed silicone cream too, and it did hell to my hair. Well, this kept up to about a year ago, and i cut down to just using a light-serum and a heat-protecter. Now, my hair is pretty healthy, but i have these little flyaway-like peices at the last 1/3 of my hair. Their not too noticeable, but they bug me. I'm pretty sure theese are results from damage? what do you think?
Also, i haven't been using my serum latley because of summer lazyness, and my hair actually looks better without it! Shiney soft, and more fluffy! So i'm going to stop using that, but it was a bit dry, so i would like to start using a light leave-in detangler/condtioner to prevent breakage and damage. cound anyone suggest a good one? Also, one more question. Are silicones in condtioners bad for my hair? I've heard mixed opinions.
Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: rhpetunia
Date Posted: July 30 2006 at 9:52pm
If the flyaways are not split, they may be salvageable.  If they are split, just snip them off.

To salvage hairs that are not dry, I would get a rich moisturizing conditioner for damaged hair.  I use Aubrey Organics Island Naturals or Honeysuckle Rose, but any conditioner serving that purpose would do.

Then about 1/2 hour before washing, apply the conditioner to your hair when it's still dry, either below the ears only or on the parts that are bothering you, depending on how long your hair is.  If the conditioner is thick, you may want to dilute it a little first.  Then when shampooing, try  to shampoo only the roots, because your hair just sucked up all the good stuff and the shampoo will just strip it back out.  Then condition again like you normally would.

You could give that a try and see if it helps.

I don't know about silicones.  I have fine hair and I don't use them, but I haven't really tried them enought to say yay or nay.

Good luck!  Are you still straightening?

-------------
2b/F/ii

Posted By: Lovely_hunni
Date Posted: July 31 2006 at 1:46pm
Thanks! I will def try that!
I havn't starightened my hair for about a mounth now, since it is summer, but i actually am starting to like my hair wavy, and sometimes run a curling iron through it, to define the waves.
But thanks for your tip!

Posted By: Shyanne
Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:53pm
If you want to define the waves without a curling iron try some curl booster (Garnier is great), that way you wont damage your hair as much.
;)

-------------
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...

Print Page | Close Window