Print Page | Close Window

Hair is too gold - which toner should I use?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46464
Printed Date: October 20 2014 at 10:41pm

Topic: Hair is too gold - which toner should I use?
Posted By: ahen151
Subject: Hair is too gold - which toner should I use?
Date Posted: August 29 2006 at 11:52pm
Hello all. 

I get my bleach-blonde hair touched up at the salon every 4 weeks & my stylist always applies a toner (for about 5 seconds), but it never removes enough of the gold color in my hair, which I hate.  After about a week post-salon visit, my hair goes back to its brassy state & it drives me nuts.  I recently went to Sally's to buy a toner & the salesperson scared me away, telling me that if I didn't let a professional do it I could completely ruin my hair & turn it grey.  I've been using Shimmer Lights, but this doesn't quite hack it.  PLEASE HELP! 

Thanks!

-------------
thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: cambria
Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 6:29pm
I've heard good things about L'Oreal Tone Refiner...

Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 6:42pm
Thanks for the reply.  I went to Sally's again and the lady recommended Wella Color Charm in "white lady."  I guess it's violet-based, so it would counteract the gold.  I'm a little scared to use it, so I also grabbed some Shimmer Lights conditioner.  I've used the conditioner 3 days in a row now & my hair looks much more platinum.  I think I'll save the toner for another time.  My stylist will kill me if I mess up my hair again! 

-------------
thanks.

Posted By: cambria
Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 8:28pm
lol!  It's so easy to do though, isn't it?!  So easy to mess up your hair at home... I know *I've* done it more times that I'd like to admit.  That Wella sounds pretty good!  Let me know how it turns out for you!

I just went to Walgreens and (finally!) found the L'Oreal Tone Refiner (could never find it anywhere else) so I'll be giving that a try later this week.  I'll post my results!

Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by ahen151 ahen151 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I went to Sally's again and the lady recommended Wella Color Charm in "white lady."  I guess it's violet-based, so it would counteract the gold.  I'm a little scared to use it, so I also grabbed some Shimmer Lights conditioner.  I've used the conditioner 3 days in a row now & my hair looks much more platinum.  I think I'll save the toner for another time.  My stylist will kill me if I mess up my hair again! 

Violet based but what color is it? Is it violet or blue violet? Violet doesn't counteract yellow however it neutralizes it....by that I mean mix yellow and violet and you get brown so your hair might appear darker than what you currently have. If your nervous mix it with a little shampoo wet your hair....mix it all up and work it into your hair as a shampoo it's called a soap cap....leave it on 2-3 minutes....rinse, dry and see if it removed the brassiness....if not repeat until a desired result is achieved.

It's hard for me to provide you with a surefire solution without actually seeing your hair, porosity and condition of the hair strands.

Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 11:50pm
Thanks for the response.  It's violet, not blue-violet.  So I should mix the toner & 10 volume developer with shampoo before I put it on my head? 

-------------
thanks.

Posted By: Claude
Date Posted: September 05 2006 at 6:41am
Originally posted by ahen151 ahen151 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  It's violet, not blue-violet.  So I should mix the toner & 10 volume developer with shampoo before I put it on my head? 

yes that is fine...the shampoo cap will slow up the process so it doesn't go too far....I'd recommend that first...2-3 minutes then if you want less gold try it again for several more minutes....you can always go back and tone it again if you need to.

G'luck

Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: September 10 2006 at 3:11am
You what did the magic trick for me. I have blonde hair also, and I get the toner at the salon, which, of course, "washes out" after a couple of weeks -- and hence, brass! I use my "violet" shampoo (Jhirmack right now -- generally same as your Shimmer Lights) and then a violet conditioner AND then I use fanci-ful rinse in White Minx. I LOVE what all that in combination does! 

Posted By: CyberZombie
Date Posted: November 12 2006 at 4:56pm
I'm curious what's the best combo to keep hair platinum-like and less brassy. I did search on this forum and all I came up was using a violet or violet-blue based toner, dark purple shampoo/conditioner and white minx fanciful rinse. I have Wella Color Charm White Lady #18, White Minx fancifull rinse and ShimmerLights shampoo & conditioner. I'm trying to make my hair platinum. I have managed to lighten my hair to very light yellow/pale yellow with bits of gold via bleaching. Will the toner and fancifull rinse work on my bleached hair? I want to have hair similar to this person at  http://www.myspace.com/defdefdef - http://www.myspace.com/defdefdef   but not too white and platinum color is all I ask for.

Date Posted: November 12 2006 at 7:26pm

x

-------------
thanks.

Posted By: CyberZombie
Date Posted: November 12 2006 at 9:07pm
I understand that doing hair yourself is risky and glad you found something that works for you. But I don't trust any hairdressers. They never give me the results I really want with so called partial highlights. I have naturally dark hair to begin with and all of them refused to lighten my hair that pale. Only I can make it happen and I have done it in the past without any problems. Lucky for me, I have very thick and coarse hair so I have dry hair which can be "repaired" using lots of conditioners and leave in treatments including glossing polish. I also do trims. I gradually lightened my hair in steps, I went from dyed black hair to pale blonde in several months with an aid of my bf. I didn't lighten my hair all the way to pale blonde in one step. I just did in segments over course of months. Now, I feel confident I can go really pale but maybe not to platinum blonde if this's all I get. I can settle down with pale ash blonde if that's the result of using white lady toner. I do root touchups myself with assistance. 

Print Page | Close Window