Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of short hair
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=47845
Printed Date: March 18 2024 at 10:56pm

Topic: Bad short cut
Posted By: abbyphelan
Subject: Bad short cut
Date Posted: October 23 2006 at 7:11am
Hi,

I'm a little depressed with my new haircut. It's too short, especially in the back. I'm not sure what to do about it. I DO NOT want to cut it any shorter. Initially I had a chin length bob, all one length. I asked for long layers and overall trim that would fit my wavy hair. I usually air dry my hair because it's been damaged with bleach. I explained all this to the hairstylist but apparently she did not listen to my request. The stylist cut way too much hair - she sliced A LOT of hair from the bottom... I was so horrified!!! The layers are longer in the front and sides than the back. This hairstyle is best for someone with natural straight hair. This new cut is time consuming and requires daily blowdrying and straightening, which is not what I wanted!!!!!! I don't have all the time in the world to style my hair... I'm a busy mom and student, so go figure! Does anyone have any advise... I'll really appreciate it. I also told the stylist that I'm trying to grow my hair longer, maybe shoulder length because I've had short hair for a while so I'm getting tired of it. Plus I have a round face, so hair longer than chin length fits my face shape best. BTW... I went to TONY&GUY because I've read rave reviews about their haircuts, but I did not get what I expected. The more I think about it the sadder I get. Lately I've had bad haircut experiences at salons, I don't know what it is. I'm starting to doubt the skill of these "highly trained" hairstylists. Please help me.... (I do have a picture of my new haircut, but I don't know how to post it here...)

Replies:
Date Posted: October 23 2006 at 10:21am
OK... here's a picture of what my new hairstyle looks like. I will really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!

Posted By: shorthairissexy
Date Posted: October 23 2006 at 3:31pm
Sorry you don't like your hair.  Personally, I like the style - is that you?  Your eyes can't really be that blue.  Anyway, if this is a real photo (kind of hard to determine since it is so blurry) you got a cut that is popular at the moment.  Toni and Guy, and other places like that, specialize in the "current" cut of the time.  Really not a whole lot that you can do with it - though I don't think it looks bad - in fact, looks cute.

Date Posted: October 24 2006 at 7:59am
Hey...

Yeah, this is me. My eyes are really brown, not blue. I'm wearing color contacts here. Anyway, I think at this point all I can do is leave it alone and let it grow out. I really hate short layers in the back and longer layers on the sides and front. I wished the stylist had cut them all even. It would have made a difference. I don't think she considered my hair type. My hair doesn't style naturally like this, because it's got some wave, so if I don't blow dry/straighten it looks completely different. It's time consuming and that annoys me.

Date Posted: October 24 2006 at 2:17pm
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy hairstylist?  

Posted By: dalton024200
Date Posted: October 24 2006 at 4:14pm
Maybe you should just cut it really short, abover your ears. It would look nice on you, you have the face for really short hair.

Date Posted: October 25 2006 at 8:16am
Well, I don't think my husband will approve of that. I can't go any shorter. I was thinking of using hair extensions, but I'm afraid that will damage my hair even more. The only good thing about this cut is that it got rid of some damaged hair...  

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: October 25 2006 at 10:55am

I pretty sure this is not what you want to hear but your hair looks great.  It's an upto date style that is sexy and trendy.  If all the layers were even I think you would have pretty much a bob. 

I know it may not be what you had hoped for and for that you should be upset but you could have got a cut you dind't like and looked bad.  I guess what I'm saying is I like it!

Can you post a picture with your natural wave?

Posted By: HairStyleDiva
Date Posted: October 25 2006 at 11:59am
Yes would be nice to see it wavy, I think it looks good to. Could always play with hair clips and things also.  

-------------
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.

Posted By: Dontno
Date Posted: October 25 2006 at 12:16pm

I agree with Hal. You look very pretty with this haircut. But I afraid you don’t have lots of choices, you have to style your hair every time you wash it. I have wavy hair and inverted bob, and I have to blow dry my hair every time I wash it in order to get it straight. I also have to use an iron to get rid of some persisting waves. Several months ago I got too short cut with lots of layers. It was a nightmare, coz I could not style it at all. Cry For several days I just wanted to go back and cut it to pixy. But somehow I realized that it will not solve my problem. Anyway, now I am back to my length that I am comfortable with.Smile

So… If you don’t like your haircut (which it really good on you) I would sagest you to wait till your hair grow out. And as soon as you style your hair, I also sagest you to use heat protecting products. You also can try to play with hair accessories, but on my experience it is not a big help (at least for me).   

Best wishes.

Posted By: Curlersbyfran
Date Posted: October 25 2006 at 1:42pm
What state are you from?

Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:41pm
Hi Curlers,

I live in Florida. I need to find a good hairstylist soon. Thanks!!!

Date Posted: October 26 2006 at 2:45pm
Hello Hal,

Thank you... Do you have any idea what this haircut is called? I will post a picture with the waves, it doesn't look anything like this!

Posted By: Hal
Date Posted: October 27 2006 at 11:06am

SEXY

Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 6:47am
Hi Dontno,

Thanks for the advise. I think you're right. At this point there isn't anything I can do. I was thinking of getting it fixed with another haircut, but that's only going to make it shorter. I'm very afraid of haircutters - AGAIN! I'm just going to play with hair accesories and products... what else can I do...

-------------
Hair either MAKES you or BREAKS you.

Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 6:50am
LOL! A lot of people seem to like this haircut, but I would prefer it longer because of my hair type. It's wavy, so it shrinks and gets frizzy. If I had naturally straight hair I wouldn't mind it at all. When it's salon styled it sure looks great. Unfortunately this cut isn't at-home-styling friendly.

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 6:52am
If anyone can recommend a good hair stylist in Florida I will really appreciate it!!!

-------------

Posted By: strawberiblonde
Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by abbyphelan abbyphelan wrote:

If anyone can recommend a good hair stylist in Florida I will really appreciate it!!!

Florida is a big state.  :-)  Your best bet is to ask for referrals from friends or just someone you see whose hair you like.  If they have a similar hair type as you, all the better.  People are usually very flattered if you go up to them and say - hey, great hair, who's your stylist?

Date Posted: November 01 2006 at 8:33am
Hi strawberiblonde,

The thing is, nobody in my family does their hair. Everyone has boring flat hair, either one length long hair or one length medium hair. I seem to be the only one that plays and experiments with her hair (cuts and color)... at a price of course! I don't really like one length hair because of my hair type, and it makes me look fatter. I need layers, and I don't mind them as long as they are cut the right way. In 15 years I've had two (three at the most) GREAT haircuts I loved. The rest have been aweful. How's that for bad luck? Once a trusted hairstylist was unable to recreate the same haircut, I had to switch...

I'm looking for a great, experienced hairstylist in the central florida area... if anyone can recommend someone, let me know. Thanks in advance!

-------------

Posted By: Bob S
Date Posted: November 08 2006 at 2:05pm
     Wink Hey, Abby, you're a cutie no matter. I'm sorry that you got a bad cut, but live and learn. My wife has not darkened a salon door for over 5 years, and it is stories such as yours which are responsible for this. Your hair will look good soon, I'm sure. Blessings, Bob

Posted By: demodoll
Date Posted: November 09 2006 at 6:44am
If you are in south Florida on the east coast (Treasure Coast actually) I have a great hairdresser.

-------------
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Posted By: ripped
Date Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:26pm
Wassup Abby.  Ithink the hair cut looks really good on you.  Actually that's one of the best hairstyles i've seen anyone with.  I should tell my girlfriend to get to same hairstyle as you. 

Posted By: julesyjul88
Date Posted: December 05 2006 at 5:03am
 Dont feel discouraged! I once had my hair cut like that,and in a mere matter of months (3-6) it was long enough to be cut back into a bob again. Hair that is that short grows quickly,so if you just hang in there,your dislike wont last that long.
Just get a trim when it starts to grow out so that the shorter layers are left alone and the longer ones trimmed so that it will even out or be bob like again.
Take biotin vitamin supplements (I did,and I swear my hair grew so fast)

Meanwhile,get some barrettes for days you dont feel like blowdrying or a headband. (maybe a pretty one with gems on it)
It really doesnt look bad on you though...and in a year or so when you look back at pictures,you will probably think that as well.Wink

Print Page | Close Window