Forum Name: Hair Color
Forum Description: The tricks and tribulations of changing your hair color
URL: http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=50343
Printed Date: October 31 2014 at 5:35am

Topic: hair color causing grey hair
Posted By: goliath101
Subject: hair color causing grey hair
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 6:00pm
Hi you all. I've been following this thread and have learn a lot from people who took time to make helpful advises. I have been coloring my hair for almost 2 years using permanent hair color. Lately, I have switch to using Herbatint permanent hair color because of its no ammonia and lesser chemicals to cover my 10-20% greys.  I do this every 5-6 weeks time on my dark brown hair. My question is will permanent hair color accelerate more greys as opposed to not coloring. How about Grecian For Men and Youthair, whats your take on this and will they do the same.  I hope that anyone out there who have knowledge or have colored their hair longer will help me on this. Your needed advise will be much appreciated. 

Replies:
Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 1:51am
Gray hair is caused by hereditary factors only, not from dyeing.

Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 4:14am
Thanks for your comments. However, I heard that hair dyeing for too long will eventually cause more greying. I don't want to get too many grey hairs fast cuz I'm thinking of dyeing for a long time. How about using Grecian for Men and Youthair? How safe is lead acetate, its active ingredient? Hope to get answers from members and moderators as well. Thanks.

Posted By: sofine
Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 12:04pm
Hmmm, I wonder if it's true myself. I've been coloring since Jr. High! I'm now 38, so that's alot of coloring. I started to notice some grey in my mid-20's. But, grey starts early in my family, so who knows if it's coloring-related. My guess is that it's not a major cause for greys. But hey, if you're going to start coloring, then it really doesn't matter what happens underneath, right?? hehe

-------------
SoFine

Posted By: cinderella
Date Posted: February 21 2007 at 3:34pm
Sofine, as you have been colouring so long has your hair suffered any damage, I wrecked mine by colouring all over 4 times in one year, do you do root touch ups and refresh the colour or what works for you. I have 30% grey which is why I colour. Cheers

Date Posted: February 22 2007 at 9:56pm
Sofine, so your saying you have been doing it for 10+ years now. That's quiet a long time. Maybe your right. Can you tell me how much grey you have before when you start coloring comparing to how much you have now.  What is the condition of your hair? What is your regimen in keeping your hair healthy and damage free?

Posted By: Susan W
Date Posted: February 23 2007 at 8:00am
I wonder that myself, but I don't think there have been any good studies done so we could know for sure.  The best study would be if you could get some people to dye only part of their hair for years and years so you could see if those parts grayed faster than the rest of their hair.  I don't think this has been done. 

I wonder because my mother has many brothers and sisters, and they all kept their brown hair into their 70s, only going gray in a patch over each ear.  She had one sister who died her hair for years and years, and that sister went all gray in her late 50s.  So, this makes me wonder, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

-------------
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Posted By: Alayney
Date Posted: February 26 2007 at 2:17am
LOTS of people in the early and mid-20s get gray hair. That's COMPLETELY normal.

Posted By: imapearl
Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 12:48am

Coloring you hair doesn't have anything to do with your hair turning grey.  There is young people that have never colored their hair and are 80% grey.

Posted By: LLJones
Date Posted: March 05 2007 at 12:30am
Originally posted by goliath101 goliath101 wrote:

Thanks for your comments. However, I heard that hair dyeing for too long will eventually cause more greying. I don't want to get too many grey hairs fast cuz I'm thinking of dyeing for a long time. How about using Grecian for Men and Youthair? How safe is lead acetate, its active ingredient? Hope to get answers from members and moderators as well. Thanks.

Lead acetate is a fixative for the dye and is a progressive dye.  It will also smoke and literally melt your hair if you put a regular colour over top of it.  (I have seen this with my own eyes.)  A metalic dye cannot be removed from your hair and has to grow out.  Trust me it is not a product I want a client to tell me she or he has used on their hair as I will not perform any colour service for them if I know they have used it in the past.  The name should give you any warning you need,.... it's lead and if large quantities it is a toxin.

Also colouring your hair will not cause grey hair.  If you have dyed your hair for a number of years you will not see how quickly your hair has gone grey,...  I think it is simply more of a shock to see that time has crept by on us all.  I've been colouring my hair for over 20 years and I have no more grey hair than my mom did at my age.

I hope this has helped you.

Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 7:16am
LLJones, thanks for your input. I guess you work in a salon. When can you color your hair again when a person has been using progressive dye before. How long do you have to wait? Can we do a vice versa like switching from permanent hair color to progressive dye at any time.

Have a friend who uses GOTAS DIVINAS product. It is a progressive dye and made in Spain.  Have you or anyone here heard about this product. Anyone who have tried please give us your opinion and feedback.

Posted By: cinderella
Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 1:03pm
I considered the grecian but the lead acetate put me off.

Posted By: LLJones
Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:11pm
You have to wait for the progressive dye to grow out before you can do anything with a conventional colour.  and I would not recommend going back and foreth between the two.  I really don't like lead based colours.  and yes i work in a salon.  I'm a colour educator and tech.  I  have not heard of that product before. 

Date Posted: March 19 2007 at 10:16am
I have short dark brown to almost black hair. I used Wella permanent hair color before and have recently switch to HERBANTINT which I like because of its having no ammonia. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two. Which one is better and how long before the color fades out for each?  Is it fine to color my hair 4-5 weeks to cover greys. How do I keep my color hair from fading? Any advise on how to maintain when hair gets dry bcuz of coloring.  Sorry for asking too many questions.  I just need helpful advise to get through this.

Print Page | Close Window